Quotes, reactions from Heat, Bulls as streak comes to end

Mar 28, 2013, 1:32 AM EDT

It was a dramatic and — thanks to the fans at the United Center — loud end in Chicago to the Heat’s 27-game winning streak on Wednesday night.

Here are the reactions from the players in the game as well as around the league.

LeBron James

“We had a moment. Just very fortunate, very humbled, blessed to be part of a team like this and a streak like that. It was one of the best this league has ever seen.”

“Teams make it tough on us, we make it tough on them. When you have two well coached teams that wanna win, it’s going to be a competitive game.”

“We were playing every game to win, we just happened to win 27 in a row. Our motto was to try and go out and win every game, but there’s nothing really to talk about.”

Tom Thibodeau

“The challenge is not to get caught up in the hoopla. To understand what goes into winning — stay focused, you’ve got to be prepared, you need an edge. If you get lost in all the other stuff you’re not going to be prepared to play well.”

“The way they play, you have to play with great intensity. You can’t win a world championship without playing like that. I think they understand that. That’s why when you look at what they’ve done — to be the defending world champions, to have a winning streak like that knowing that everyone is chasing you — is a credit to them.

(On how they defended LeBron James) “LeBron has great decision making ability and great vision. His size, he sees over things, I don’t think you can give him a steady diet of anything.”

(On Kirk Hinrich’s play ripping the ball from Bosh) “We’ve played them 15 times and more often than not comes down to that, exactly that — it’s a loose ball, it’s a hustle play, that’s usually the difference.”

Erik Spoelstra

“We understand, probably more so later on in our careers, the significance of that. And then that was it. We took that moment to acknowledge it, to acknowledge each other, that experience, but it was never about the streak. We have a bigger goal, but also right now, it’s about ‘Are we getting better?”

“We were much more competitive in the second half. It became make or miss in the fourth quarter, and we couldn’t get the necessary stops we needed to. In the last handful of games, those shots were going down and maybe that masked a few things going down the stretch.”

Jimmy Butler

“Just our toughness. We came out ready to play from the jump, guarded, played together. It was a big win, it was a team win.

Jerry West (member of the 1972 Lakers team that won 33, speaking with Marc Stein of ESPN)

“I really thought they were going to do it,” West said by phone after the Heat lost to the Chicago Bulls 101-97. “I really did.

“It’s a remarkable streak. I wasn’t rooting against them at all. At halftime (of the Chicago game), I thought they were going to win the game. But all you need sometimes is a few things to go wrong.

“I think they’re looking for bigger fish to fry. You know they’re trying to win another championship, so I think this is just a blip in the road for them. But this (streak) was great for basketball. It was a great accomplishment. It creates incredible fan interest.

“People will talk about this forever.”

1. Mr. Wright 212 - Mar 28, 2013 at 2:05 AM

Not a WORD about the Knicks or anyone else who played tonight. Five straight stories about the Heat. YAWN.

• savvybynature - Mar 28, 2013 at 2:14 AM

Have to agree. There were a lot of games tonight, and this wasn’t even the best game of the bunch.
      Just thought I’d check in to see if I could find out what happened with the Celtics game (how’d they pull that out?) since I was watching the Spurs v. Nuggets (also an excellent game, and featuring two of the top teams in the league), but didn’t realize I was loggin on to the Heat Index. Sheesh.

• 27winstreak - Mar 28, 2013 at 2:20 AM

Last I checked, none of those teams were doing anything historic tonight. But either way I agree with you guys, deff would like to read about those since I wasn’t able to watch them.

• smoothaswilkes - Mar 28, 2013 at 2:41 AM

I hate the Heat but still realize that their streak ending was the biggest story by far tonight. I mean the record has only stood since 1972 but neither of you get why there are so many Heat posts?

If you care so much about the Knicks, go to a Knicks blog or a Celtics blog, if you swing that way. Why come to a general NBA blog where the posts are going to focus on the biggest news of the day, which unless you’ve been living under a rock is the Heat’s winning streak. I’m a Lakers fan and I certainly don’t come here for my Lakers scores and recaps because there are Lakers blogs for that. If you can find the specific team blogs, why not try clicking the NBA news link at the top of the page?

• 27winstreak - Mar 28, 2013 at 2:57 AM

smoothaswilkes

THANK YOU. These fools have their blinders on so it possibly couldn’t make any sense why history in the making would be so important in the grander scheme of things. & your point about this being a general NBA blog is spot on. Want specific team knews? Go to a specific team site. Pretty novel concept

• 00maltliquor - Mar 28, 2013 at 4:17 AM

smoothaswilkes nailed it. Not a Heat fan but you got to admit this streak was HUGE. One of the most epic in NBA history. History……..history. Of the NBA. And it’s history. 27 games in a row. In a row! (let that marinate…)

If there was an NBA yearbook like they have in High School, in that year end summary recap section, THIS would be on front page of that section.

• dangernearing - Mar 28, 2013 at 5:17 AM

Tim stfu

• fanofevilempire - Mar 28, 2013 at 6:45 AM

as a Knick /Laker fan I accept that the Heat streak is the news in the NBA, now that it has
      ended I guess the news will be about the playoffs, yes I’m talking about the playoffs.

nice streak by Heat!

• thesixersbench - Mar 28, 2013 at 9:54 AM

This was the biggest game of the season, featuring the league’s best team and the end of a historic streak. Give me a break. Apply some perspective.

2. lakerluver - Mar 28, 2013 at 2:39 AM

Not to disagree with the great Jerry West but unless the Heat win the title they will be remembered for having the second longest streak and not winning the title. The LAKERS culminated their record streak with a title.

• smoothaswilkes - Mar 28, 2013 at 2:43 AM

Your trolling knows no end. Give the Heat their moment. Quit reveling in a streak that you, most likely, weren’t even alive to watch. And keep your fingers crossed that the Mavericks don’t catch our beloved Lakers.

• thesixersbench - Mar 28, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Well said.

• loungefly74 - Mar 28, 2013 at 10:08 AM

i hear ya. cant say enough of the streak. im not just a fan of the Lakers but a fan of the NBA. El Heat were terrific. i’m extremely jealous of their accomplishment. and yes…keeping the fingers crossed that our Lakers just make the playoffs…heck, i’d be doing cartwheels if they just go on a 6 game winning streak!

3. dreamzilla - Mar 28, 2013 at 3:07 AM

damn you Heat…damn u all..you all cost me over a grand with that choke job tonight….may u now go on a 27gm losing streak …or send me a check for 1200.00 or courtside seats with a personalized team autographed jersey and ball and a team picture

• 00maltliquor - Mar 28, 2013 at 4:23 AM

C’mon man you knew that streak had to end against CHI IN CHI, bro. What was the spead you got? I know that feeling, effing hurts. Not at the hands of $1,200 though. You went all in!

• davidly - Mar 28, 2013 at 8:43 AM

You lost dough your own damn self.

4. broadstbully - Mar 28, 2013 at 6:56 AM

@dreamzilla,

Your fault for betting that much money on something you have zero control over. Don’t blame the Heat.

5. rodge1 - Mar 28, 2013 at 7:02 AM

Hats off to the Bulls, they certainly came out to play… Time to rest LeBron for a game or three and get ready for the playoffs… Go Heat!!!!

6. paulhargis53 - Mar 28, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Look at lakerluver, hiding out on a heat posting. You piece of garbage! Why do you always disappear from the lakers stories when they are losing?! You are an abysmal fan, that’s why. Why are you even back on this site? You ran away when the lakers were at their lowest point, now you’re back because you think they might squeak into the tourney?

Thanks for proving my point of what a frontrunner you are. You’ve been exposed, now get lost. No one wants you here, take a look around the articles. You are nothing but the butt of jokes.

7. aboogy123456 - Mar 28, 2013 at 9:00 AM

This streak has been VERY impressive, but I think we are wrong to judge the heat’s greatness by how many games they win in a row. This team is already a great team because they won the title last year, and I think that’s way more important than a winning streak.

8. ncm42 - Mar 28, 2013 at 9:37 AM

@smooth…and the record still stands. They didn’t break it. So no, it’s not unreasonable to think a “general NBA blog” may talk about more than one game at some point in FIVE CONSECUTIVE POSTS.

9. HotHotHeat - Mar 28, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Titles > Streaks but 27 was special.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches