Mar 28, 2013, 5:36 PM EDT
Danny Granger, the Pacers leading scorer from a year ago who has played just five games this season due to knee issues, is about to go back under the knife for his second surgery in seven months.
With that, Granger is done for the season, the team announced Thursday.
The decision was made after all conservative treatment options could not alleviate the soreness Granger encountered. After consultation between Granger, the Pacers’ medical staff and Dr. James Andrews, surgery became the preferred option.
Granger underwent a procedure in late October for patellar tendinosis. He returned Feb. 25 and played five games before continued soreness in the knee sidelined him. After further rehab did not ease the soreness, surgery was decided on. He is expected to be ready for training camp.
The Pacers go into the playoffs the team a number of pundits — myself included — think match up best on paper with the Heat. Indiana has the size inside with Roy Hibbert and the long defenders on the wings (Paul George, George Hill, etc.) to slow the Heat as much as anyone.
But their offense has been abysmal. George has stepped up with an All-Star season but it’s not enough, the Pacers score an average 101.3 points per 100 possessions, 19th best in the NBA. Which is pretty much right where they are at the last 10 games. And frankly, that’s not going to be enough to beat the Heat and very probably not some of the other teams they will face in the second round.
After all this time off Granger was not going to come back and suddenly be a huge factor. But he could score, maybe hit some big shots, and the Pacers could have used that. Now they will have to look elsewhere.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 41
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 4
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 9
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 15
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5