Mar 28, 2013, 2:23 PM EDT
It was a one-point game at the end — the Denver Nuggets had a real shot of knocking off the San Antonio Spurs on the road. Denver had the last shot. But that last shot wasn’t pretty — Danilo Gallinari couldn’t create a shot for himself so he dumped it to Andre Miller who tried a runner across the lane that missed.
The Nuggets could have used Ty Lawson in that spot.
Lawson tried to return from a heel injury and go on Wednesday, but after playing regular rotations in the first half and then the first seven minutes of the second half, he sat again. And what he said after the game to the Denver Post didn’t sound good.
“I couldn’t move,” the point guard said. “I had no lift on my shot, jumping off one foot. I was just to see if I could do it, try to inspire the team.”
The Nuggets don’t need more inspiration against the Spurs, they need Lawson healthy in the playoffs where there will be more games decided in the last second and the outcomes will have more meaning. Lawson gets that, sort of.
“I probably need to take a couple days off to let it heal all the way,” Lawson said of his injury. Asked if that means the Brooklyn game on Friday, Lawson said, “Probably.”
George Karl needs to keep him on the bench for a couple games. He needs to be right when the playoffs come. The Nuggets are a real postseason threat, but they need a healthy Lawson to be that.
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 18
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 47
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 55
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23