Mar 28, 2013, 2:23 PM EST
It was a one-point game at the end — the Denver Nuggets had a real shot of knocking off the San Antonio Spurs on the road. Denver had the last shot. But that last shot wasn’t pretty — Danilo Gallinari couldn’t create a shot for himself so he dumped it to Andre Miller who tried a runner across the lane that missed.
The Nuggets could have used Ty Lawson in that spot.
Lawson tried to return from a heel injury and go on Wednesday, but after playing regular rotations in the first half and then the first seven minutes of the second half, he sat again. And what he said after the game to the Denver Post didn’t sound good.
“I couldn’t move,” the point guard said. “I had no lift on my shot, jumping off one foot. I was just to see if I could do it, try to inspire the team.”
The Nuggets don’t need more inspiration against the Spurs, they need Lawson healthy in the playoffs where there will be more games decided in the last second and the outcomes will have more meaning. Lawson gets that, sort of.
“I probably need to take a couple days off to let it heal all the way,” Lawson said of his injury. Asked if that means the Brooklyn game on Friday, Lawson said, “Probably.”
George Karl needs to keep him on the bench for a couple games. He needs to be right when the playoffs come. The Nuggets are a real postseason threat, but they need a healthy Lawson to be that.
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 19
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 62
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13