Mar 28, 2013, 10:43 AM EST
When two good players who play the same position play each other – as John Wall and Russell Westbrook did last night – they’re often asked about the other. Most players say something blandly positive about their opponent, satisfying the media with a nice sound bite.
But put in that position, Wall didn’t bite. Michael Lee of The Washington Post:
Wall was asked if Westbrook was the fastest player in the league and replied, “No, I’m going to say myself.”
Wall then flashed a playful grin and refused to bite when asked if Westbrook was at least the second-fastest player in the league. “It’s tough man,” Wall said. “There’s a couple fast guys in this league. He’s up there, Derrick [Rose] is up there, when he’s healthy. Mike Conley’s pretty quick. It’s different guys. Ty Lawson’s quick. So there’s a lot of guys, but I put myself first. Just for fun.”
- Rose (3.05)
- Westbrook (3.08)
- Conley (3.09)
- Lawson (3.12)
- Wall (3.14)
Of course, that one workout isn’t all-revealing, and a lot can change in the years since a player has joined the league. The two fastest sprint times in Draft Express’ database among active players belong to Nate Robinson (2.96) and Will Bynum (3.00), but at 28 and 30, they’re probably not quite that fast anymore.
With the ball, I’ll take Wall. He’s just a blur.
As far as track speed, that’s wide open. I think the fastest player is probably a non-descript backup somewhere who lacks the skills necessary to excel in the NBA but has the physical prowess to make the league.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Thunder don’t look like playoff team yet 0
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 6
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 30
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 46
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20