Mar 28, 2013, 10:43 AM EDT
When two good players who play the same position play each other – as John Wall and Russell Westbrook did last night – they’re often asked about the other. Most players say something blandly positive about their opponent, satisfying the media with a nice sound bite.
But put in that position, Wall didn’t bite. Michael Lee of The Washington Post:
Wall was asked if Westbrook was the fastest player in the league and replied, “No, I’m going to say myself.”
Wall then flashed a playful grin and refused to bite when asked if Westbrook was at least the second-fastest player in the league. “It’s tough man,” Wall said. “There’s a couple fast guys in this league. He’s up there, Derrick [Rose] is up there, when he’s healthy. Mike Conley’s pretty quick. It’s different guys. Ty Lawson’s quick. So there’s a lot of guys, but I put myself first. Just for fun.”
- Rose (3.05)
- Westbrook (3.08)
- Conley (3.09)
- Lawson (3.12)
- Wall (3.14)
Of course, that one workout isn’t all-revealing, and a lot can change in the years since a player has joined the league. The two fastest sprint times in Draft Express’ database among active players belong to Nate Robinson (2.96) and Will Bynum (3.00), but at 28 and 30, they’re probably not quite that fast anymore.
With the ball, I’ll take Wall. He’s just a blur.
As far as track speed, that’s wide open. I think the fastest player is probably a non-descript backup somewhere who lacks the skills necessary to excel in the NBA but has the physical prowess to make the league.
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. But he liked what LeBron did. 10
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 38
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 20
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 18
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 70