Chris Paul says Greivis Vasquez talks too much

Mar 28, 2013, 8:40 AM EDT

Chris Paul, Greivis Vasquez, Blake Griffin AP

Chris Paul and Greivis Vasquez appeared to jaw at each other in the final seconds of the Clippers’ 105-91 win over the Hornets on Wednesday. After the game, Paul was interviewed on the court during the Hornets’ broadcast.

“He just talk way too much, man,” Paul said. “He talk too much. I don’t – he talk way too much.”

“Well, your scoring and the win did the talking tonight. Thanks a lot Chris,” the interviewer said as Paul interrupted her.

Paul said something in audible about the win before adding one more, “but he just talk too much.”

Maybe I’m giving Paul too much credit, but might he be playing the game, too (and doing it better than Vasquez)? I bet Paul is annoyed by Vasquez, whose reputation for having a big mouth dates back to Maryland.

There’s no good way for Paul to get Vasquez to stop talking. Paul can’t complain after a loss or a poor individual performance, or he’d be labeled a sore loser. Shaquille O’Neal has made the situation more complicated, because Paul surely doesn’t want to be perceived as emulating Shaq’s petty slights to his eventual replacement as Orlando’s center, Dwight Howard, with Paul’s eventual replacement as New Orleans’ point guard, Vasquez.

So, this was the perfect time to strike. Vasquez had zero points, three turnovers and five fouls in a blowout loss. If he goes back at Paul, Vasquez could easily be labeled as caring more about trash-talking than winning.

Perhaps, Paul just bought himself a couple games of Vasquez silence – simply by talking at the right time. Vasquez could take a lesson. That is how you gain the upper hand in the game within the game.

1. kingbeason52 - Mar 28, 2013 at 8:54 AM

That picture describes it all…flop city..

• truehooper1421 - Mar 28, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Horrible comment. That picture is not Chris paul flopping smh. He’s standing straight up trying to get the ball. That face is the face you make when you play hard.

2. 1972wasalongtimeago - Mar 28, 2013 at 9:15 AM

The “Heat-Lose-One-Game” PBT article streak ends at 7 in a row.

Can the Knicks win streak tie/exceed 7 in a row? The country waits to find out.

3. thekingdave - Mar 28, 2013 at 9:24 AM

It’s goes both ways. The coverage of the streak from multiple media outlets was quite over the too.

4. gmsalpha - Mar 28, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Time for someone to either go back to school, or give his degree back to Wake Forest. Thanks for butchering the English language, Chris.

• kavika6 - Mar 29, 2013 at 3:17 AM

Did he actally graduate?

5. ortizmari27 - Mar 28, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Chris flop Paul!!!!!

6. zacksdad - Mar 28, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Greivis Vasquez says Chris Paul flops too much

7. truehooper1421 - Mar 28, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Some players talk when they play and it makes them play better. When I played in college, I would look for anything to piss me off, it just made me play better. Everybody is different but I was able to go harder at the opposing team when I had a personal beef. So I talked trash even when I was wrong. To the coach, refs, players, crowd, whoever.

Chris Paul talks a lot of ish too so what’s the problem.

8. Mr. Wright 212 - Mar 28, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Pot calling the kettle black.

• dannymac17 - Mar 28, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Get outta here you troll.

9. eugenesaxe - Mar 28, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Wow, that’s a killer interview, repeating the same grammar-deficient statement 4 times.

• kavika6 - Mar 29, 2013 at 3:21 AM

Ironically talking about somebody else talking too much. I guess he’s thinking that if you repeat the same thing over and over it doesn’t count.

10. asublimeday - Mar 28, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Paul, you are one illiterate SOB.

• opshuns - Mar 28, 2013 at 8:28 PM

The lady asked him something before CP3 started “talk too much”, then he just walked off. Chris Paul is good a guy as there is…don’t make him into something he is not?….I thought he walked away cool under the circumstances.

11. Kerem - Mar 29, 2013 at 12:06 PM