World Peace to have knee surgery, out six weeks

Mar 27, 2013, 4:28 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Denver Nuggets Getty Images

UPDATE 4:28 pm: Metta World Peace will have surgery on his left knee Thursday and is expected to be out at least six weeks, tweets Lakers reporter Mike Trudell.

That would have the Lakers starting small forward and team +/- leader (among regulars) out until the first weeks of May. Which means if you think the Lakers will advance to the second round of the playoffs they could get him back for some games. But the more realistic way to view this is he is now done for the season.

Which will be interesting as he could find himself on the free agent market next summer.

1:30 pm: If you want to know what the future of the Lakers this season looks like, know that at shootaround today the starting lineup had Steve Nash at the point, Jodie Meeks at the two, Kobe Bryant slid over to the three spot, and Pau Gasol with Dwight Howard was the front line.

There was no Metta World Peace, who suffered a lateral meniscus tear during the first half against Golden State Monday.

The team announced the injury but no timetable for his return. But when coach Mike D’Antoni was asked about it at shootaround in Minnesota Wednesday the news was not good, according to Dave McMenamin of ESPNLosAngeles.com.

This is a blow to the Lakers.

This season when he is on the court the Lakers offense is nearly 5 points per 100 possessions better, the defense is 4.8 better. World Peace can space the floor with solid three point shooting (34.7 percent this season), he’s a good man defender and a solid rebounder. He hasn’t been spectacular for the Lakers this season, but he’s been solid.

Which is more than you can say for the guys getting his minutes. Earl Clark started out hot but fell off dramatically as time went on. Jodie Meeks hasn’t shot like was expected of him. The defensive drop off is severe and it will put more pressure on Dwight Howard in the back to clean up the messes of the perimeter. And he can only clean up so much.

We’ll update when the Lakers give official news on World Peace’s status.

1. dirtydavis - Mar 27, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Lakers world Champs 2013. #inKobeWEtrust

• soflasfinest - Mar 27, 2013 at 3:04 PM

World Chumps is more like it. It’s hilarious how all laker fans automatically ASSumed they would be in the finals after signing Dwightand old man Nash. it takes much more than just signing big names to win the ship. Watch the defending and soon to be back to back Champs and take notes little boys. Slash where has lakerslurper been?

2. aboogy123456 - Mar 27, 2013 at 1:58 PM

NOOOOO. This may be the straw that broke the camel’s back for them this season. This is a bigger loss than people realize, and if the lakers lose first round or don’t make the playoffs, the haters and critics will probably blame kobe or say that the lakers weren’t built the right way, but the biggest factor has simply been injuries. All the other injuries aside, if you were to add a healthy Metta world peace and a healthy Jordan hill to any team, they would instantly become a much better team. This sucks.

• bucrightoff - Mar 27, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Would those help? Maybe, but I’ve said it many times the Lakers issue is horrible defense. 6th in points scored is nice, 25th in points allowed is why their season is a mess. Nash is a liability and Kobe gambles excessively.

• aboogy123456 - Mar 27, 2013 at 2:58 PM

If you are saying the issue is horrible defense, then yes, losing two of their best defensive players makes a big difference. I also don’t pay too much attention to the season stats because they are flawed. They take into account the earlier games of the season where Dwight howard was actually a liability on defense. now dwight is healthier and back to becoming one of the best defenders in the league. They still have issues, but I’m more concerned with where this team is now, not where they were when they just started playing together.

the kobe gambling storyline is also a little overplayed. Yes he gambles sometimes, but he’s not hurting the team like the last two ankle sprained games would suggest. Overall, Kobe does more to help the defense than he does to hurt it.

• bucrightoff - Mar 27, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Fun fact, the Lakers are 6-13 when the “Big Four” all play together. I think the injuries issue is very overplayed. The Spurs just played a month without their best player, and lo and behold they did perfectly fine. The poor defense and lack of athleticism is the bigger issue. Even fully healthy, this team can’t beat San Antonio, OKC, Miami, Denver, or the Clippers and Grizzlies. No depth + old team – good coaching = Disaster.

• aboogy123456 - Mar 27, 2013 at 3:15 PM

your fun fact is flawed for a couple of reasons. 1) they just started playing together 2) Howard may have played those games, but he was not healthy. I love how we all agree that Dwight was not 100% or even close to it early in the year, yet we completely ignore that when judging this team. 3) they changed their offensive system big time by switching to D’Antoni. So not only do these guys need to get healthy and used to play with each other, they need time to learn a system. Something that usually takes a year to get right, and they haven’t even had the benefit of a training camp.

• bucrightoff - Mar 27, 2013 at 3:34 PM

No offense but you’re making a lot of excuses. Many teams in the league deal with issues similar to the Lakers. How about Chicago losing an MVP and still in a position to make a run? How about the Celtics losing their starting, All-Star PG and going on a strong run without him? OKC loses a top 15 player in the league, but there they are, fighting for top spot again. How about Golden State? Bogut has barely played and they’re a playoff team. The Lakers have deeper issues than all these teams, but for whatever reason people just want to blame the convenient injuries excuse.

• aboogy123456 - Mar 27, 2013 at 3:58 PM

take these excuses however you want, but they are real and I’m being real by acknowledging them as effing up our season. Your examples are good by the way. Without Rose and Rondo, Chicago and Boston have ZERO Chance to win it all. So what’s your point? They are playing well but I dont’ think that’s the best consolation when you miss out on a championship opportunity.

• bucrightoff - Mar 27, 2013 at 4:18 PM

You mean like the consolation prize of making the playoffs, something all those Laker fans who booked their holidays to coincide with the parade in June 2013 now think validates the most disappointing season in NBA and arguably sports history? Laker fans are the best.

• aboogy123456 - Mar 27, 2013 at 5:09 PM

buc, I enjoy talking basketball and arguing different points of view on this site, but if you’re gonna respond to my comments please try to read what I’m saying and post something relevant.

I’m not sure what laker fans you are talking about, they may exist, but I am definitely not one of them. This is not a rebuilding season, so it’s championship or bust. That is why i’m devastated by this artest news and it’s going to affect my work and sex life. The playoffs are not a consolation to the lakers, celtics, or bulls. It sucks that kobe’s second to last season is getting derailed because of injuries to other players.

• bucrightoff - Mar 27, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Do you sincerely think the Lakers would win the title fully healthy? Like really? Again, 6-13 with the big 4, 2-13 versus the West’s top 5 teams. The Lakers have no depth, are old, have mediocre coaching, lack athleticism. 4 pretty huge reasons why they wouldn’t win it all, and they have nothing to do with injuries. If they play one team with an elite PG they’re in deep trouble, and they may have to beat 3 in a row to get the chance to have LeBron and the Heat hand them their asses. Really the Lakers mistake was trading for Nash, they’ve badly misused him. I mean Steve Nash not dominating the ball and being relegated to spot up shooter? Not exactly the best use of his talents.

3. aboogy123456 - Mar 27, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Wait, he may not come back this season but does anybody know what his playoff status is, maybe D’Antoni was only referring to the regular season??

• eventhorizon04 - Mar 27, 2013 at 3:14 PM

There’s only 3 weeks or so left in the regular season.

If the Lakers aren’t optimistic that he’ll play a single game the rest of the regular season, it’s doubtful they’re optimistic he’ll be ready for the first round of the playoffs.

4. 00maltliquor - Mar 27, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Phucc, it’s over. I STILL had hopes of a sneak championship. Straw that broke the camels back. fml

• loungefly74 - Mar 27, 2013 at 3:19 PM

From Kobe’s FB/Twitter:

“Don’t tell me how rough the water is. Just bring the boat in”
      Mambaism=No excuses

• 00maltliquor - Mar 28, 2013 at 1:53 AM

Yeah, I know…thanks for that. This seasons been rough for me. Been keeping the faith alive the whole season, but I feel like I keep ketting socked in the nutz over and over again with all that’s gone on the entire year. Sneaking into the playoffs should be a given, what I want is another shinny ring. That looks very VERY unrealistic now. This has been the hardest season for me. Even when we didn’t make the playoffs that one year, it was at least somewhat expected with that crap team we had then. This, what we have, old or not….just doesn’t make sense to me. We have everything. We should have everything…but a coach. LETS DO THIS FOR CHICK AND JERRY KOBEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

5. musilly - Mar 27, 2013 at 2:11 PM

He’s been the Lakers’ glue guy all season. One of the best “3 and D” guys in the league.
    Analysts who I respect, like David Thorpe, has criticized his season and his game, but they used the wrong standard–Pacers-era Artest who was putting up 20.
    Compare Artest to what the Lakers expected out of him–3 and D–and he was great this year.
    May he recover in peace.

6. paulhargis53 - Mar 27, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Only a sore loser/bad fan blames injuries for the shortcomings of their teams.

I said this prior to the season. They are old and brittle, but you fools just called me and others “haters”. Now it came true.

Hmmmm….

Kobe is done winning titles.

• dirtydavis - Mar 27, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Paulhargis53 has been a heat fan since July of 2010

• soflasfinest - Mar 27, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Actually he’s a Boston fan I believe. Damn y’all are some insecure little boys on here.

• eventhorizon04 - Mar 27, 2013 at 3:15 PM

He’s a Celtics fan.

• dirtydavis - Mar 27, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Soflasfinest is the catcher and eventhorizon is the pitcher

• eventhorizon04 - Mar 27, 2013 at 4:13 PM

dirtydavis, I’m guessing you’ve never been described by anyone – friends, family, or coworkers – as being particularly intelligent?

You should try to understand that there’s a reason for that.

• dirtydavis - Mar 27, 2013 at 5:34 PM

@oddvertical

I graduated from “Facts State University”

7. dalucks - Mar 27, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Anyone else think that depth does not matter when Mitch Kupchak is trading away 1st round draft picks for Joe Smith and Ramon Session rentals the past two years. Plus the three 1st round picks given up for Steve Nash five years past his prime as he has never played defense in his life.
    Phil Jackson made Mitch look like a genius when he is really an idiot.

• dirtydavis - Mar 27, 2013 at 3:55 PM

I blame Jim Buss

• badintent - Mar 29, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Nah, I blame Mike Brown . This is all his fault. All the fake laker fans said so when he got fired. And Laker fans are never wrong, eh ? After all , they got all that cheap tequila to drink at the beach and figure out the meaning of balling, right(sarcasm). PUENTE HILLS EARTHQUAKE END OF DAY !

8. kjereld615 - Mar 27, 2013 at 2:24 PM

I just love how the injury gods are just picking apart the Lakers and Celtics, who are arguably the two greatest franchises in basketball. I mean its like they are trying to make sure the old dogs stay home while the new dogs, like the Thunder and Heat create their own legacy. I must say as a Celtics fan I may hate the Lakers, but I love how hard they are fighting. Just like my Celtics they have fought their way into the playoffs even after all they have been through and I truly respect that. The Lakers and Celtics are banged up, but they are not broken and they both will definitely make some noise in the playoffs. Gotta love the heart of a champion.

9. spthegr8 - Mar 27, 2013 at 2:36 PM

We are already have issues with Depth. This is NOT GOOD!!! Not too mention he is our best perimeter defender!! When it rains………..

10. loungefly74 - Mar 27, 2013 at 2:54 PM

bad news for the Lakers. clark and meeks need to step up big time! my “realistic” goal of just making the playoffs is possible.

11. mungman69 - Mar 27, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Injuries happen to older teams. They still have three great players.

12. paulhargis53 - Mar 27, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Nice try dirtydingus. Not a Heat fan in the least bit. Keep typing that about people that don’t agree with your point of view, it gets funnier everytime you type it to a different person…..idiot.

If that’s all you got, I’d just quit while you were behind.

• dirtydavis - Mar 27, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Paulhargis is a tool

• dirtydavis - Mar 27, 2013 at 4:00 PM

@PaulHemroids

“If that’s all you got, I’d just quit while you were behind”

Calling me out and then running away… What a lil mija. SMH

13. kanemoney - Mar 27, 2013 at 4:14 PM

In a game of inches, his contributions defensively will hurt them big time. If they make the playoffs beating a San Antonio or OKC seems out of the question now.

• dirtydavis - Mar 27, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Ha! inches….

• kavika6 - Mar 28, 2013 at 2:58 AM

Yep. No chance now that artest can sucker punch Tony Parker and have a chance to beat them.

14. paulhargis53 - Mar 27, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Running away? I’m right here sausage wallet. Sorry I can’t monitor this site 24/7. I’m at work.

You’re supposed to stop with the Q tip when there is resistance.

You’re about as dumb as a sack of hammers, aren’t you bozo?

• dirtydavis - Mar 27, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Bozo? <<<< What the hell? You must be an old timer.

My bad I would like to avoid a knuckle sandwich. I am going to make like a banana and split.

15. modellforprez - Mar 27, 2013 at 4:26 PM

damn Dunn wtf. its all good son you can go back to Queensbridge and help Prodigy and Cormega with their tarnished Rap careers. Havoc is good check out “13” dropping may 7th

• 00maltliquor - Mar 28, 2013 at 1:44 AM

Prodigy is never tarnished! H.N.I.C.

16. censormynameandmycomments - Mar 27, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Stop freaking out, Laker fans. As much as I hate the Lakers, this is a good thing. Out of your top 5 players (Kobe, Nash, Dwight, Pau, and Artest), who scores the fewest PPG? Ron Artest. Of your top 5 players, who shoots the lowest percentage? Ron Artest. Of your top 5 players, who takes the most shots besides Kobe? Ron Artest. Nobody wants to talk about it, but Artest has shot your team out of more than one game this year. You’re better off without him.

17. scalfor3 - Mar 27, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Dallas is stealing that 8 seed from the Lakers

• dirtydavis - Mar 27, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Dallas ain’t doing squad but building false hope.

18. paulhargis53 - Mar 27, 2013 at 5:51 PM

dirtydingus: That’s a good dog, you know when to go lay by your dish.

• dirtydavis - Mar 27, 2013 at 6:16 PM

@Dingussniffer

You should make like a bird and flock off… LOL

19. paulhargis53 - Mar 27, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Dude, do yourself a favor, and just stop.
    You are either 14, or a very mentally challenged adult. You look like a tool.

• dirtydavis - Mar 27, 2013 at 8:36 PM

You want me to stop after you posted a dumb biased comment??? You can’t take the heat GTFO of the kitchen

• manchestermiracle - Mar 28, 2013 at 12:23 AM

As long as you keep rattling his cage he’ll hang around and howl. Do what the rest of us Lakers fans do: Ignore him. When he doesn’t get responses to his baiting he gives up and finds someone else to troll. He’s not here to discuss basketball, he’s here to try and get someone to take his bait. It reeks of puberty and bitterness and drags you down to his level. The only way to win that game is not to play.

• dirtydavis - Mar 28, 2013 at 1:08 PM

@Manchester…

Youre right.. Paul and the rest of his minions need to relax

20. kavika6 - Mar 28, 2013 at 3:03 AM

I’ll bet there are a lot of players that feel safer now that the Laker’s hitman is gone.

21. paulhargis53 - Mar 28, 2013 at 8:35 AM

dirtydingus: That you’ve made a moron out of yourself on here and that it totally escapes you is very amusing. It just tells me that you are mentally unbalanced and pity should be taken on you.
    You’re lame comebacks and unfunny non sequiturs scream for a verbal beatdown though. My advice is to walk away.

Heat, what heat? Oh speaking of the heat, if anyone cares, that’s where lakerluver is.

The piece of garbage is running his mouth about the streak ending for them and bragging about the lakers of 72.
    Yet he can’t be bothered to post when the lakers lose 2 in a row on lakers threads…

Pure garbage and a detestable person. Worst kind of fan there is. The coward won’t show up here.

• dirtydavis - Mar 28, 2013 at 1:12 PM

LMAO!! Dude!!! You are freaking hilarious

22. paulhargis53 - Mar 28, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Manchester: Still continuing to be passive agressive I see. You not adressing me directly, but you throw in your put downs describing me to others. Typical candya** move. You know you’d get whipped verbally heads up( you have before by me) so you resort to this. Pathetic.

By the way, I do talk hoops. Its just that you laker fan nitwits don’t want to hear reality. I told you from day one that injuries were going to derail this team because of their age. Each starter has missed time. Oh no, I’m branded a hater for saying that. You guys don’t deal in facts or reality. You won’t admit any flaws with this team. its all wine and roses all the time about the lakers with you pukes.

This is why many people are relishing in the lakers tank job of a season. The fanbase is deplorable and unbearable.

Quit your crying and just take it! You all bragged how this team was going to steamroll through the finals…..ooops!

I’d talk hoops with you, but you don’t have an unbiased, non homeristic bone in your body.

Age will lead to injuries, injuries will expose the lack of depth. Kobe playing hero ball will cost them games.

All FACTS stated by me and others that came true and exposed this team for the also ran they are.
    I and others were deemed haters for those statements. You and your fellow lemmings couldn’t acknowledge the possibility of those things occurring
    THAT is why I don’t even bother talking hoops with you.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches