Mar 27, 2013, 12:56 PM EST
It shouldn’t be a surprise after he missed the first 69 games this season, but because it would have been a dramatic return some people were holding out hope:
Derrick Rose will not play against the Miami Heat Wednesday.
Rose confirmed that speaking with the media after shootaround.
DRose, on missing Heat: "Every game is tough. Knowing that its the Heat adds on a little bit. But I have confidence in my guys and coaches."—
K.C Johnson (@KCJHoop) March 27, 2013
Rose hasn’t played all season and to expect him to come back for this game — especially just because the Heat are on a winning streak — defeats the very idea of him getting fully healthy before returning to the court. While he has been cleared by doctors obviously Rose isn’t comfortable on his leg yet, he said he’s had pain, and he isn’t confident as he feels he needs to be with it. It’s his body, his career and he gets to make the call.
For Bulls fans the bottom line remains he is a 24-year-old MVP — if he misses the entire season after an ACL injury, that’s fine. It’s not about the next five games, it’s about the next five years. And beyond.
But right now Rose is losing the PR battle over this return.
The will he/won’t he speculation consumes Chicago — and at times national — media. We give updates like this one, that he will not be back for this game when he has missed 69 before it.
Rose has to make a call soon — are you in or out this season? For the sake of the team and its mindset as it gets ready for the playoffs. For the sake of his own image, which is becoming tarnished with a “he won’t play through it” label (which isn’t fair considering he played through toe and other injuries before). Rose is in a PR battle he can’t win in the short term (he’s fine long term).
Get in or get out. Either decision is acceptable, but make one. Because he “well, I’m close, I’m practicing but not today” thing has worn everybody thin and it’s time to move on for the good of the organization.
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 16
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 17
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 21
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 15
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)