Mar 27, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
This is just terrible news.
The parents of Rockets play-by-play announcer Craig Ackerman have died in an auto accident in Sugar Land, Texas (a suburb of Houston). The team made the announcement and KHOU television had the details (hat tip to Royce Young and Eye on Basketball):
Gerald Ackerman and Bonnie Ackerman, both 66, were involved in a wreck shortly after 1 p.m. at the intersection of Austin Parkway and Williams Trace, Sugar Land police said.
A spokesman for the police department said Gerald Ackerman was behind the wheel when his truck left the roadway and hit a light pole. No other vehicles were involved in the incident.
“The entire Rockets family is deeply saddened at the tragic news of the automobile accident that took the lives of Gerald and Bonnie Ackerman. We offer our sympathies and condolences to Craig and the Ackerman family, and pledge our continued support as they begin to cope with this devastating loss,” said Rockets CEO Tad Brown in a released statement.
Ackerman has broadcast the team’s games since 2008 but has been involved in the Rockets organization for nearly two decades, starting as an intern and working his way up.
Our thoughts are with Ackerman and the Rocket family.
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 11
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 13
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 7
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 48
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 17
- Phil Jackson is optimistic about Knicks coming season, except the start 7