Mar 27, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
This is just terrible news.
The parents of Rockets play-by-play announcer Craig Ackerman have died in an auto accident in Sugar Land, Texas (a suburb of Houston). The team made the announcement and KHOU television had the details (hat tip to Royce Young and Eye on Basketball):
Gerald Ackerman and Bonnie Ackerman, both 66, were involved in a wreck shortly after 1 p.m. at the intersection of Austin Parkway and Williams Trace, Sugar Land police said.
A spokesman for the police department said Gerald Ackerman was behind the wheel when his truck left the roadway and hit a light pole. No other vehicles were involved in the incident.
“The entire Rockets family is deeply saddened at the tragic news of the automobile accident that took the lives of Gerald and Bonnie Ackerman. We offer our sympathies and condolences to Craig and the Ackerman family, and pledge our continued support as they begin to cope with this devastating loss,” said Rockets CEO Tad Brown in a released statement.
Ackerman has broadcast the team’s games since 2008 but has been involved in the Rockets organization for nearly two decades, starting as an intern and working his way up.
Our thoughts are with Ackerman and the Rocket family.
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 8
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 14
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 16
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 15
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 36
- No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks 24
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 7