Mar 27, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
This is just terrible news.
The parents of Rockets play-by-play announcer Craig Ackerman have died in an auto accident in Sugar Land, Texas (a suburb of Houston). The team made the announcement and KHOU television had the details (hat tip to Royce Young and Eye on Basketball):
Gerald Ackerman and Bonnie Ackerman, both 66, were involved in a wreck shortly after 1 p.m. at the intersection of Austin Parkway and Williams Trace, Sugar Land police said.
A spokesman for the police department said Gerald Ackerman was behind the wheel when his truck left the roadway and hit a light pole. No other vehicles were involved in the incident.
“The entire Rockets family is deeply saddened at the tragic news of the automobile accident that took the lives of Gerald and Bonnie Ackerman. We offer our sympathies and condolences to Craig and the Ackerman family, and pledge our continued support as they begin to cope with this devastating loss,” said Rockets CEO Tad Brown in a released statement.
Ackerman has broadcast the team’s games since 2008 but has been involved in the Rockets organization for nearly two decades, starting as an intern and working his way up.
Our thoughts are with Ackerman and the Rocket family.
- Report: Washington Wizards contact Ray Allen, too 3
- Hornets rookie Noah Vonleh out 6-8 weeks after sports hernia surgery 14
- USA sails past New Zealand for easy 98-71 win behind Anthony Davis, Kenneth Faried 8
- Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush” 11
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 4
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19