Mar 27, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
This is just terrible news.
The parents of Rockets play-by-play announcer Craig Ackerman have died in an auto accident in Sugar Land, Texas (a suburb of Houston). The team made the announcement and KHOU television had the details (hat tip to Royce Young and Eye on Basketball):
Gerald Ackerman and Bonnie Ackerman, both 66, were involved in a wreck shortly after 1 p.m. at the intersection of Austin Parkway and Williams Trace, Sugar Land police said.
A spokesman for the police department said Gerald Ackerman was behind the wheel when his truck left the roadway and hit a light pole. No other vehicles were involved in the incident.
“The entire Rockets family is deeply saddened at the tragic news of the automobile accident that took the lives of Gerald and Bonnie Ackerman. We offer our sympathies and condolences to Craig and the Ackerman family, and pledge our continued support as they begin to cope with this devastating loss,” said Rockets CEO Tad Brown in a released statement.
Ackerman has broadcast the team’s games since 2008 but has been involved in the Rockets organization for nearly two decades, starting as an intern and working his way up.
Our thoughts are with Ackerman and the Rocket family.
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 9
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 29
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 8
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 19
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 22
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 31