Mar 27, 2013, 2:07 PM EDT
Next Tuesday night, on national television, the New York Knicks will travel to Miami to take on the Heat.
If they win their next three games — which is no easy task and includes at San Antonio Sunday — the Heat will be at 30-consecutive wins when New York faces them. Just three games off the all-time record of the 1972 Lakers.
And Mike Woodson said wants the Knicks to be the team that knocks them off, reports the New York Post.
“They’re playing at such a high level, nobody is coming close to beating them,’’ Woodson said at the morning shootaround Tuesday at TD Garden. “ It would be nice. Their streak could end. They’re playing two good teams (beforehand). (But if) they’re undefeated and we go into Miami, hopefully we can be the team to break their streak.’’
The Knicks have won five in a row themselves with their offense scoring at a higher rate than any team in the NBA for that stretch (115.4 points per 100 possessions) and the defense being good. Plus, the Knicks have played the Heat tough this season.
Woodson has to think bigger picture, he has to focus on getting guys like Tyson Chandler (out Wednesday) and the rest of an older roster healthy for a playoff run. In an East where it is the Heat then everyone else, the Knicks could be the team that breaks out of the pack and gets to the conference finals.
But first, they’d like to wipe out that little streak the Heat are on.
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 12
- Report: Lakers ‘actively discussing’ trade for Roy Hibbert with Pacers 39
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 85
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 42
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 48
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 58
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19