Mar 27, 2013, 7:12 PM EDT
Gasol knows his own body. But ab injuries like this can linger, he shouldn’t push it. Hopefully there isn’t a setback.
2:38 pm: With Marc Gasol in the lineup, the Memphis Grizzlies are a team built for the playoffs — they defend, they like grinding games, they can pound you inside.
Without Gasol it’s hard to picture them getting out of the first round. He’s that important — the most well rounded center in the game, he brings more than his 14.3 points and 7.8 rebounds a game. He’s their anchor.
And he tells the Commercial Appeal he’ll be back from his torn abdominal muscle before the playoffs start.
“No, no, no,” Gasol said. “We’re going to try to keep (treating it) and when it feels good and gets better, I’ll get out there. I don’t care if it hurts a little bit. I have no problem with that. We’re going with indefinite. But it’s going to go game-by-game, day-by-day.”
This is an example of what happens when you don’t rest an injury at first. Gasol injured his abs on March 6 against Portland but kept playing through it, aggravating it and making it worse against New Orleans March 22.
“I was playing anywhere from 60-65 percent before New Orleans,” Gasol said. “I felt like it wasn’t getting better. I felt pain and I was ineffective rebounding the ball. I lost all of my explosiveness. I’m not very explosive anyway but the little bit I try to be was gone. It just hurt real bad. When we did the test it was obvious.”
It would be nice if Gasol could get back for a few games before the playoffs, but the important thing is to get him as healthy as possible before the games get serious. Because in the Western Conference there will be no easy rounds.
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 3
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 5
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4