Mar 27, 2013, 7:12 PM EST
Gasol knows his own body. But ab injuries like this can linger, he shouldn’t push it. Hopefully there isn’t a setback.
2:38 pm: With Marc Gasol in the lineup, the Memphis Grizzlies are a team built for the playoffs — they defend, they like grinding games, they can pound you inside.
Without Gasol it’s hard to picture them getting out of the first round. He’s that important — the most well rounded center in the game, he brings more than his 14.3 points and 7.8 rebounds a game. He’s their anchor.
And he tells the Commercial Appeal he’ll be back from his torn abdominal muscle before the playoffs start.
“No, no, no,” Gasol said. “We’re going to try to keep (treating it) and when it feels good and gets better, I’ll get out there. I don’t care if it hurts a little bit. I have no problem with that. We’re going with indefinite. But it’s going to go game-by-game, day-by-day.”
This is an example of what happens when you don’t rest an injury at first. Gasol injured his abs on March 6 against Portland but kept playing through it, aggravating it and making it worse against New Orleans March 22.
“I was playing anywhere from 60-65 percent before New Orleans,” Gasol said. “I felt like it wasn’t getting better. I felt pain and I was ineffective rebounding the ball. I lost all of my explosiveness. I’m not very explosive anyway but the little bit I try to be was gone. It just hurt real bad. When we did the test it was obvious.”
It would be nice if Gasol could get back for a few games before the playoffs, but the important thing is to get him as healthy as possible before the games get serious. Because in the Western Conference there will be no easy rounds.
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 13
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 9
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 1
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 21
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 15
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (40)