Mar 27, 2013, 10:18 AM EDT
With Kevin Garnett out a couple of weeks dealing with “inflammation” in his ankle, the lack of depth up front for Boston is exposed. It cost them against the Knicks Tuesday night, the fifth straight loss for Boston.
They could have used someone such as New York’s late pickup Kenyon Martin.
But they chose not to go after him, and Martin didn’t mince words after the game, reports Jessica Camerato at CSNNE.com.
“It’s their fault,” he said following the Knicks 100-85 win. “They lost. There was talks, there was negotiations, they chose not to do it. It was out of my control. I’m a Knick now, so they lost.”
Last summer Martin reportedly wouldn’t accept veteran minimum offers, from the Clippers where he had been or anywhere else, and so he sat on the sidelines. And sat. And sat. Until late in the season talks started with a few teams, but as the Knicks front court became more and more banged up they jumped in and got him on a couple of 10-day contracts then a minimum deal.
Why didn’t the Celtics sign him? Doc Rivers did a little tap dance when WEEI asked him.
“I don’t know,” Rivers said when asked why Martin didn’t wind up with the Celtics. “We looked at all the guys, we were still looking at guards at the time. So we were in no hurry at the time for a big. We were looking for more a big of size, if you know what I mean. And by the time we got around to it, he was gone.”
They sure could use him right about now.
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 0
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20