Mar 27, 2013, 10:18 AM EST
With Kevin Garnett out a couple of weeks dealing with “inflammation” in his ankle, the lack of depth up front for Boston is exposed. It cost them against the Knicks Tuesday night, the fifth straight loss for Boston.
They could have used someone such as New York’s late pickup Kenyon Martin.
But they chose not to go after him, and Martin didn’t mince words after the game, reports Jessica Camerato at CSNNE.com.
“It’s their fault,” he said following the Knicks 100-85 win. “They lost. There was talks, there was negotiations, they chose not to do it. It was out of my control. I’m a Knick now, so they lost.”
Last summer Martin reportedly wouldn’t accept veteran minimum offers, from the Clippers where he had been or anywhere else, and so he sat on the sidelines. And sat. And sat. Until late in the season talks started with a few teams, but as the Knicks front court became more and more banged up they jumped in and got him on a couple of 10-day contracts then a minimum deal.
Why didn’t the Celtics sign him? Doc Rivers did a little tap dance when WEEI asked him.
“I don’t know,” Rivers said when asked why Martin didn’t wind up with the Celtics. “We looked at all the guys, we were still looking at guards at the time. So we were in no hurry at the time for a big. We were looking for more a big of size, if you know what I mean. And by the time we got around to it, he was gone.”
They sure could use him right about now.
- Report: Kings not done trading, Jason Thompson next on block 0
- The Extra Pass: Raptors’ salary dump trade could mean a few more wins, too; plus Sunday recaps 1
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 6
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 3
- Expect to see facilitator Kobe in his return to Lakers 7
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)