Mar 27, 2013, 10:18 AM EST
With Kevin Garnett out a couple of weeks dealing with “inflammation” in his ankle, the lack of depth up front for Boston is exposed. It cost them against the Knicks Tuesday night, the fifth straight loss for Boston.
They could have used someone such as New York’s late pickup Kenyon Martin.
But they chose not to go after him, and Martin didn’t mince words after the game, reports Jessica Camerato at CSNNE.com.
“It’s their fault,” he said following the Knicks 100-85 win. “They lost. There was talks, there was negotiations, they chose not to do it. It was out of my control. I’m a Knick now, so they lost.”
Last summer Martin reportedly wouldn’t accept veteran minimum offers, from the Clippers where he had been or anywhere else, and so he sat on the sidelines. And sat. And sat. Until late in the season talks started with a few teams, but as the Knicks front court became more and more banged up they jumped in and got him on a couple of 10-day contracts then a minimum deal.
Why didn’t the Celtics sign him? Doc Rivers did a little tap dance when WEEI asked him.
“I don’t know,” Rivers said when asked why Martin didn’t wind up with the Celtics. “We looked at all the guys, we were still looking at guards at the time. So we were in no hurry at the time for a big. We were looking for more a big of size, if you know what I mean. And by the time we got around to it, he was gone.”
They sure could use him right about now.
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 23
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 7
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 38
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 57
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 11
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 43
- Derrick Rose is hurt again. Where do the Bulls go from here? 28