Mar 26, 2013, 7:25 PM EDT
You’ve all heard the book on John Wall — go under the pick, play off him, he’s as quick as any guard in the league, amazing straight line speed, is a good playmaker…
But he has no jump shot.
Except, lately he has been knocking down his remade jumper.
A lot of people noticed it when watching the highlights of him scoring 47 points Monday night but this has been going on for weeks.
In his last 10 games, Wall is shooting 54.9 percent from 15 to 19 feet (according to NBA.com) and 57.1 percent from 20-14 feet. Or to break it down by area of the court, he is hitting 50 percent on his midrange (which he takes more of than at the rim), has been 4-of-6 on corner threes and 4-of-6 on threes above the break.
It’s not an accident. Wall worked all summer on a new and improved jump shot, only to have left knee issues sideline him the first 33 games of the season. Once back, it took a while to get his conditioning and form back, but he’s got it now he told CSNWashington.com’s Ben Standig.
“Just getting back into the gym, getting back into shape, getting my legs back under me,” Wall said after sinking 13 of 22 field goal attempts including 2 of 4 from beyond the arc. “Doing everything that I worked on this summer, doing it right now.
“It sucks that it had to be last month or two of the season to finally find my rhythm, but just showing my hard work pays off.”
Wall’s teammates have noticed. Here is Chris Singleton:
“Crazy two, three weeks,” Singleton said about Wall’s improved form. “Crazy. His shot completely changed. I guess that work in the summer paid off.”
If Wall keeps knocking down jumpers regularly that price would be a steal.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 42
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 34
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18