Mar 26, 2013, 7:25 PM EDT
You’ve all heard the book on John Wall — go under the pick, play off him, he’s as quick as any guard in the league, amazing straight line speed, is a good playmaker…
But he has no jump shot.
Except, lately he has been knocking down his remade jumper.
A lot of people noticed it when watching the highlights of him scoring 47 points Monday night but this has been going on for weeks.
In his last 10 games, Wall is shooting 54.9 percent from 15 to 19 feet (according to NBA.com) and 57.1 percent from 20-14 feet. Or to break it down by area of the court, he is hitting 50 percent on his midrange (which he takes more of than at the rim), has been 4-of-6 on corner threes and 4-of-6 on threes above the break.
It’s not an accident. Wall worked all summer on a new and improved jump shot, only to have left knee issues sideline him the first 33 games of the season. Once back, it took a while to get his conditioning and form back, but he’s got it now he told CSNWashington.com’s Ben Standig.
“Just getting back into the gym, getting back into shape, getting my legs back under me,” Wall said after sinking 13 of 22 field goal attempts including 2 of 4 from beyond the arc. “Doing everything that I worked on this summer, doing it right now.
“It sucks that it had to be last month or two of the season to finally find my rhythm, but just showing my hard work pays off.”
Wall’s teammates have noticed. Here is Chris Singleton:
“Crazy two, three weeks,” Singleton said about Wall’s improved form. “Crazy. His shot completely changed. I guess that work in the summer paid off.”
If Wall keeps knocking down jumpers regularly that price would be a steal.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Number shows Matthew Dellavedova’s defensive value 0
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 25
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 22
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 16
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 15