Mar 26, 2013, 6:08 PM EST
Note to Dwight Howard: The best revenge is not getting beat in a key division game.
But that’s not what Howard was talking about after the Lakers loss Monday to Golden State. In the second quarter Klay Thompson drove around Steve Blake like he wasn’t there (the Lakers perimeter defense was a disaster all game), came across the lane drawing Howard and other defenders, then dumped the rock behind himself to a cutting David Lee. Then Lee jumped toward the rim and into Howard, drew contact and the foul, and in doing so elbowed Howard in the lip.
It drew a little blood. Howard then drew a technical for chirping at Lee after the play.
When the game was over, Howard wasn’t done chirping, reports Marc Spears of Yahoo sports.
“He got away with a shot,” Howard said. “I will remember this game. I will remember that shot. He said he wasn’t trying to do it. You can look at the play and see it for yourself. I will take care of it later.”
First off, you could have taken care of it during the game if you were serious, not at some mythical future date.
Second, that’s a pretty standard NBA play. You can argue if you want Lee was leading with his elbow, but it’s nothing Howard hasn’t done himself on a hundred other plays.
Howard needs to worry about the Lakers defense — actually, he’s taking a little too much blame for that, he can’t be expected to clean up all the messes of their porous perimeter — meshing with Pau Gasol and getting some wins. The Lakers need wins now, being only one game up on the Jazz and 1.5 on Dallas heading down the stretch. That’s the focus, meaningless revenge can wait until another day.
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 7
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 18
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 14
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 29
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 6
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 9
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 5
- Kobe Bryant wanted to sign with Michael Jordan’s Wizards 7