Dwight Howard says he will remember elbow from David Lee. Really?

Mar 26, 2013, 6:08 PM EST

Los Angeles Lakers v Golden State Warriors Getty Images

Note to Dwight Howard: The best revenge is not getting beat in a key division game.

But that’s not what Howard was talking about after the Lakers loss Monday to Golden State. In the second quarter Klay Thompson drove around Steve Blake like he wasn’t there (the Lakers perimeter defense was a disaster all game), came across the lane drawing Howard and other defenders, then dumped the rock behind himself to a cutting David Lee. Then Lee jumped toward the rim and into Howard, drew contact and the foul, and in doing so elbowed Howard in the lip.

It drew a little blood. Howard then drew a technical for chirping at Lee after the play.

When the game was over, Howard wasn’t done chirping, reports Marc Spears of Yahoo sports.

“He got away with a shot,” Howard said. “I will remember this game. I will remember that shot. He said he wasn’t trying to do it. You can look at the play and see it for yourself. I will take care of it later.”

Please.

First off, you could have taken care of it during the game if you were serious, not at some mythical future date.

Second, that’s a pretty standard NBA play. You can argue if you want Lee was leading with his elbow, but it’s nothing Howard hasn’t done himself on a hundred other plays.

Howard needs to worry about the Lakers defense — actually, he’s taking a little too much blame for that, he can’t be expected to clean up all the messes of their porous perimeter — meshing with Pau Gasol and getting some wins. The Lakers need wins now, being only one game up on the Jazz and 1.5 on Dallas heading down the stretch. That’s the focus, meaningless revenge can wait until another day.

1. Mr. Wright 212 - Mar 26, 2013 at 6:14 PM

• eventhorizon04 - Mar 26, 2013 at 7:05 PM

“Don’t ever recall this kind of lengthy, vitriolic response to the foolishness that Heat players say and do, hmmm…”

You’re right.

I don’t recall anybody in the media criticizing LeBron for his “Decision” ESPN special.
      I don’t recall anybody in the media criticizing the Heat for “celebrating victory in the summer before any games were played.”
      I don’t recall anybody in the media criticizing LeBron for his “Not 1, not 2, not 3″ comments at that “celebration.”
      I don’t recall anybody in the media criticizing Bosh for his “I came here to chill out” comments.
      I don’t recall anybody in the media criticizing the Heat for losing in the Finals in 2011.
      I don’t recall anybody in the media criticizing coach Eric Spoelstra for supposedly being an overmatched figurehead.
      I don’t recall anybody in the media criticizing LeBron for being a choker.
      I don’t recall anybody in the media criticizing Bosh for being less productive than Wade and LeBron by calling the Big 3, “Two and a Half Men”.
      I don’t recall anybody in the media criticizing Wade for “being in decline.”
      Etc.

So you’re right – The Miami Heat have been the least-criticized professional sports team in America since 2010, and you are alone in being brave enough to point that out that lack of media scrutiny.

Keep fighting the good fight, hero! Eventually, folks in the media will get around to criticizing the Heat sometime. But that only happens if you keep toiling every day, demanding somebody in the media take the time to analyze the Heat!

• badintent - Mar 27, 2013 at 1:48 AM

I DO REMEMBER HOWARDS’S CHEAP SHOT ON MELO, ALMOST BROKE HIS ANKLE. IF I REMEMBER , SO DOES MELO. TIME TO HONEY NUTT GOOFY.

• kinggw - Mar 26, 2013 at 8:34 PM

I don’t recall a Heat player threatening retaliation for something that clearly wasnt intentional.

2. cakemixa - Mar 26, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Man, what a tough guy Dwight Howard is.

• 808raiderinparadise - Mar 26, 2013 at 6:28 PM

I know right? So soft, its all coming into context … his career, his team concept, his inconsistency, his attitude, I mean Howard has Down Bynum disease.

• 808raiderinparadise - Mar 26, 2013 at 6:30 PM

just to clarify, i re-read that, wasn’t saying down bynum like down syndrome lol

like he has the bynum thing down. same way.

3. losanginsight - Mar 26, 2013 at 6:19 PM

MWP throws an elbow and gets suspended.
    David Lee throws an elbow and the refs swallow the whistle and give D12 a T.
    …and the NBAs agenda continues

• david0303 - Mar 26, 2013 at 6:30 PM

hahahahahahaha i actually laughed out loud that you compared that to a MWP elbow thank you for that laugh

• lucifershuttlesworth - Mar 26, 2013 at 7:59 PM

That whole post is solid gold. I love the suggestion that the Lakers’ failures are due to the NBA’s anti-Lakers agenda. Priceless. Why would the NBA hobble their most prized show pony? The Lakers problems are clearly internal and to put the blame on league interference is laughable. If you are serious about figuring out who is really killing the Lakers i’ll give you a hint. He wears #24.

• dko83 - Mar 27, 2013 at 1:23 AM

Lucifer hitting the nail on the head.

• Mr. Wright 212 - Mar 26, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Not sure how that wasn’t an offensive foul.

• scalfor3 - Mar 26, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Ah yes, the poor persecuted Lakers. If only the league wasn’t holding the Lakers back.

4. klink6224 - Mar 26, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Howard has spent the past 2 years doing a wonderful job of ruining his credibility. Turned into such a joke

5. Nostrils10 - Mar 26, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Refs SUCK… but lakers need to play through it and stop getting off to these slow starts…

david stern makes me sick tho..

• progress2011 - Mar 26, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Nostrils wide open….

Not sure why you hate Stern !

EVERY banner you got in the past 20 years…was a gift wrapped basket from Stern!

Now that you don’t get the same biased calls….Red WHINE goes good with cheese!

• Nostrils10 - Mar 26, 2013 at 10:10 PM

haha adorable, you’re real clever…

“Every banner you got”…. I’m not on the team and the Lakers don’t my bills… so cut it with that.

& yeah Stern is a prick, #1 Laker hater…

• badintent - Mar 27, 2013 at 1:51 AM

But what goes good with the Laker girls ? Handcuffs !!

• tsi431 - Mar 27, 2013 at 7:03 AM

So Stern vetoing the Chris Paul trade was Stern’s way of helping the Lakers win another title? You are an idiot.

6. dalucks - Mar 26, 2013 at 6:48 PM

I remember when real men played basketball and settled those issues during the game on the court. I guess that is one of the many differences in the blacktop era (80’s babies and earlier) versus the AAU era (90s babies literally).
    What a chump to go whine to the media after the game? Soft Dwight, Charmin tissue soft. You cannot be a leader being that soft.

• seaochickens - Mar 26, 2013 at 7:00 PM

I’m pretty sure Howard has no interest in being a leader of anything, but a conga line.

7. 32magicman - Mar 26, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Toughen up dwight you fairy. Maybe you can borrow gasol’s big boy pants!

8. rodge1 - Mar 26, 2013 at 6:58 PM

@Mr. Wright 212
    Your comments about the Heat are the best… I feel bad that the sadness you have towards your own Knicks only allows you to comment negatively about other teams though… It’s ok, the Knicks might have a chance in 3 years or so.

• eventhorizon04 - Mar 26, 2013 at 7:09 PM

But he’s right.

Haven’t you noticed how nobody has ever criticized the Miami Heat, like, ever?

What ProBasketball Talk, ESPN, and other sports media outlets need to do is FINALLY devote at least a little bit of media coverage to the Heat for once, and to talk about their faults.

Mr. Wright 212 is upset because he’s barely heard about the Miami Heat at all over the past few years, when he does hear the media talk about the Heat, the coverage has been 100% positive, and he’s frustrated.

• progress2011 - Mar 26, 2013 at 8:07 PM

No Events on the Horizon…..

I’m not sure if you are attempting to be cynical or playing a joke on yourself…..BUT!

Last season was ALL Lebron and the Heat and it was ALL bad…..ALL THE TIME !

I”m not a Heat fan…BUT I just want to ask you to visit your shrink because you amnesia is obviously getting worse.

• limonadamas - Mar 26, 2013 at 10:31 PM

@EH04: I don’t think anyone here understands sarcasm… hahaha

• 24thesho - Mar 27, 2013 at 5:45 AM

Skip Bayless was relentless in trashing LBJ on ESPN when he was with Cleveland, and, in the beginning with Miami, and I am quite sure there were others who felt that same sentiment. And the Heat were getting trashed but the writers /haters when they were not winning like they are now.

• tsi431 - Mar 27, 2013 at 7:05 AM

24thesho

You shouldn’t ever use Skip Bayless as a reference to anything, it makes you sound ignorant.

9. rueg10 - Mar 26, 2013 at 7:12 PM

as dumb as i think dwight has been in handling himself, i think this article is just as dumb. i saw it as a borderline offensive foul… it was clear how lee leaned in to draw the contact and dwight maintained a position. i really like david lee and his game. no player with any emotion is going to like a hit in the chops, and many players over the years would have a comment about the next time they play that particular team. like when kobe sprained his ankle, and said he was upset he had to wait a year for a rematch…

i like pbt and pft, but let’s get some real news… like what the lakers are doing to do to remedy the lack of chemistry now that pau is back.

10. paulhargis53 - Mar 26, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Suprise, suprise. lakers drop 2 in a row and lakerluver is nowhere to be found….

Dwight should be more worried about this pathetic excuse for a team making the playoffs, not retribution for something he does to others several times a year.

I can’t figure out what I’d want more. For them to make the playoffs and get blasted in the 1st round or for them to miss them and give away a lottery pick for a 40 year old pg…..

I think lakerslurper figured I was gone and he was safe……

• tsi431 - Mar 27, 2013 at 7:12 AM

You shouldn’t be talking, you disappeared during the Lakers current winning streak, that went on for the last 2 weeks.

• bigrele - Mar 27, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Actually not to rain on your lovely parade ph53 but they’ve dropped 3/THREE in a row (Suns, Wizards & Warriors) and yeah lakerloser only shows up when this pathetic overrated overhyped underachieving team goes on a LITTLE winning streak lol, haha but thing is those LITTLE streaks have been few & far between at best ALL SEASON long; and not against the better teams in the league either, hell they can’t even beat the worst teams in the league & barely hanging onto that pitiful 8th seed but yet all day everyday you see msnbc with the same useless articles & lakerloser & the rest of his pitiful lil band including Jerry West constantly post claims about how they can contend with any of the playoff teams, HA! Kudos to Magic Johnson & Stephen A. who have been some of the few who have recognized what we all have, that this team has NO chance whatsoever come playoff time, but they have to actually MAKE the playoffs first which bout right now that prospect ain’t looking to come to fruition :D

11. necr0philia - Mar 26, 2013 at 7:30 PM

2Days NBA==== pri·ma don·na!! What a bunch of clowns.

12. rodge1 - Mar 26, 2013 at 7:51 PM

@eventhorizon04

There has been plenty of negative stories about the Heat, they were last year and the year before. Winning changed that though.

• bougin89 - Mar 27, 2013 at 11:11 AM

He was being sarcastic.

13. jssgriffi - Mar 26, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Not in the playoffs you won’t

14. patfic15 - Mar 26, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Sure you will Dwight. Another fake tough guy on LA.

15. paulhargis53 - Mar 27, 2013 at 8:27 AM

tsi: If you were paying attention way back when, you’d realize that I said I wouldn’t be posting if lakerluver left(under all his aliases) he did, so I stopped posting. I said I’d be back if he came back. He did, so here I am.
    I don’t care if you think that is “weird” or I “have no life.” He’s a detestable person and a horrid fan. it was always my goal to rid this site of him. Your welcome.

• spthegr8 - Mar 27, 2013 at 11:08 AM

@ph53
      I gta say I see what you are saying about LL. He only comes on the site when things are going good too bump his gums. I’m a Laker fan and I’m sick of the guy. He accused me and you of being the same person the other day. The guy is an utter moron and if you are keeping him away. Keep up the good work!!!

• bigrele - Mar 27, 2013 at 1:14 PM

ph53 & spthegr8 lakerloser also accused me of being the 3rd wheel I guess u can say, so apparently we are the same person with different user IDs lmao! If only he knew, when the Lakers lose, he & the rest of these pitiful arrogant Laker fans disappear like a fart in the wind…………

16. sal11 - Mar 27, 2013 at 8:30 AM

Hey Dwight. Go to Youtube, search for “Dwight Howard Glen Davis elbow,” then tell me a little more about cheap elbows.

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches