Mar 26, 2013, 2:53 PM EDT
As we’ve said before, players performance in the NCAA Tournament doesn’t move the needle on their NBA draft position as much as fans tend to think. It’s one part of the mosaic that includes regular season games, interviews and workouts, among other things.
But it is part of the picture and guys can help and hurt their cause with their performance on the biggest stage. So with that, here are a few draft news and notes out of those games from a variety of sources.
Brown is a 6’4” point guard with great handles and good vision, he needs a steadier shot and to show he can defend at the NBA level. He likely goes late first round. Leslie is going late first or early second, a 6’9” forward who is an incredible athlete but whose game is raw and needs work at both ends.
• Not playing may have been the best thing for Kentucky’s Nerlens Noel. There is no lock consensus No. 1 pick in this draft (no Anthony Davis or Derrick Rose type), and a few people had been touting Ben McLemore out of Kansas. Who between the Big 12 championship game and the first weekend of the NCAA Tournament has gone 4-of-21 shooting (and he’s hit one three in three games). Which might move Kentucky big man Nerlens Noel back to the top of the board despite being out for ACL surgery, reports Chad Ford at ESPN.
While most of the other top prospects have stumbled — some mightily — multiple NBA scouts and GMs remember Noel’s increasing productivity at Kentucky and say, essentially, if every player in the draft this year is going to be a major risk, why not gamble with the ultra-athletic big man and hope his knee and his offensive game both get better?
• Adreian Payne of Michigan State has long been on the radar because of his athleticism at 6’9”, but his performance against Memphis likely helped his cause. This guy was highly recruited out of high school but needed a few years of college to really bring it together, now it looks like he has. Still likely a second round pick, however.
• What about the guys from Florida Gulf Coast that everyone loves? The problem was they were on nobody’s radar before this tournament, now Sherwood Brown and Bernard Thompson are going to get some looks. The underclassmen on this team need to go back to college for a year and show how they can develop. Most likely they all end up playing in Europe some day, but now at least teams are taking a second look at them. That’s all you can really ask.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
“Then it became a competition amongst guys and now you really got into it more and you started to really understand the clothes you put on your body.” —Dwyane Wade
Sep 19, 2014, 12:01 AM EDT
Saunders wants the rookie to earn it.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:46 PM EDT
Pietrus sat out all of last season.
Sep 18, 2014, 9:31 PM EDT
Looks like Bucks head coach Jason Kidd is serious about making Antetokounmpo into a point guard.
Sep 18, 2014, 8:16 PM EDT
This will take some getting used to.
Sep 18, 2014, 7:10 PM EDT
Sep 18, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Isn’t Harden the beard guru?
Sep 18, 2014, 5:51 PM EDT
I like the idea of calling him “scrappy feet” better.
Sep 18, 2014, 5:10 PM EDT
Chicago will likely start Joakim Noah and Pau Gasol
Sep 18, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT
Expect Rubio to be a restricted free agent next summer, and he may not enjoy that experience.
Sep 18, 2014, 3:44 PM EDT
Knicks star said nobody wants to play for Atlanta
Sep 18, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT
After a year at point guard, Oladipo should thrive for Magic this season
Sep 18, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
Dirk’s not bad on guitar.
Sep 18, 2014, 1:40 PM EDT
Not an expected pairing, but they can relate
Sep 18, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Spurs coach seeking sources of motivation so his team won’t repeat the letdown
Sep 18, 2014, 12:18 PM EDT
Team USA coach Mike Krzyzewski defends himself after Adrian Wojnarowski paints him as opportunistic recruiter
Sep 18, 2014, 11:39 AM EDT
How much longer will NBA keep pushing them?
Sep 18, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
After signing Glenn Robinson III, Minnesota has too many guaranteed contracts
Sep 18, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
Sep 18, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Last season, Celtics traded Crawford to Warriors, who were unsatisfied with his play
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 0
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 26
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 21
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 17
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6