Mar 26, 2013, 2:53 PM EDT
As we’ve said before, players performance in the NCAA Tournament doesn’t move the needle on their NBA draft position as much as fans tend to think. It’s one part of the mosaic that includes regular season games, interviews and workouts, among other things.
But it is part of the picture and guys can help and hurt their cause with their performance on the biggest stage. So with that, here are a few draft news and notes out of those games from a variety of sources.
Brown is a 6’4” point guard with great handles and good vision, he needs a steadier shot and to show he can defend at the NBA level. He likely goes late first round. Leslie is going late first or early second, a 6’9” forward who is an incredible athlete but whose game is raw and needs work at both ends.
• Not playing may have been the best thing for Kentucky’s Nerlens Noel. There is no lock consensus No. 1 pick in this draft (no Anthony Davis or Derrick Rose type), and a few people had been touting Ben McLemore out of Kansas. Who between the Big 12 championship game and the first weekend of the NCAA Tournament has gone 4-of-21 shooting (and he’s hit one three in three games). Which might move Kentucky big man Nerlens Noel back to the top of the board despite being out for ACL surgery, reports Chad Ford at ESPN.
While most of the other top prospects have stumbled — some mightily — multiple NBA scouts and GMs remember Noel’s increasing productivity at Kentucky and say, essentially, if every player in the draft this year is going to be a major risk, why not gamble with the ultra-athletic big man and hope his knee and his offensive game both get better?
• Adreian Payne of Michigan State has long been on the radar because of his athleticism at 6’9”, but his performance against Memphis likely helped his cause. This guy was highly recruited out of high school but needed a few years of college to really bring it together, now it looks like he has. Still likely a second round pick, however.
• What about the guys from Florida Gulf Coast that everyone loves? The problem was they were on nobody’s radar before this tournament, now Sherwood Brown and Bernard Thompson are going to get some looks. The underclassmen on this team need to go back to college for a year and show how they can develop. Most likely they all end up playing in Europe some day, but now at least teams are taking a second look at them. That’s all you can really ask.
Apr 16, 2014, 2:42 AM EDT
Chris Paul and J.J. Redick look good as Clippers ready for playoffs.
Apr 16, 2014, 12:40 AM EDT
Poor Evan Fournier is on the wrong end of a highlight that’s going to get shown a lot for a few days. At least.
Apr 15, 2014, 11:46 PM EDT
Video of one player executing a crossover that drops another player to the floor — you know you’re watching.
Apr 15, 2014, 10:31 PM EDT
Sick pass, monster slam.
Joe Johnson says he shouldn’t have been laughing on bench during blowout loss to Knicks earlier in season
Apr 15, 2014, 9:16 PM EDT
Joe Johnson says Jeff Van Gundy’s criticism of his behavior was spot-on.
Apr 15, 2014, 8:01 PM EDT
Mike D’Antoni had no idea how beating the Jazz on Monday would negatively impact his team’s Draft Lottery chances. And there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that.
Apr 15, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT
Anthony is out for the rest of the season but will not be surgery and will be good to go next season.
Apr 15, 2014, 5:31 PM EDT
Just 7-8 minutes before, Cedric Maxwell had stood next to one of the people killed in the Boston Marathon bombing, but he decided to go inside and get warm.
Apr 15, 2014, 4:41 PM EDT
With nothing on line Pacers going to rest key guys… except Hibbert.
Apr 15, 2014, 3:46 PM EDT
It’s not something you could ever prove (and the Nets may not even do it), but they could rest guys in hopes of falling into a first-round matchup with Toronto.
Apr 15, 2014, 2:59 PM EDT
Damian Lillard doesn’t want to end up like all those players without rings. The ones sitting in his living room.
Apr 15, 2014, 2:17 PM EDT
Two general managers make all three ballots, one tops each
Apr 15, 2014, 1:40 PM EDT
Award honors ‘outstanding service and dedication to the community’
Apr 15, 2014, 1:07 PM EDT
It was just a fender bender, the good news is nobody got hurt. However, Chandler Parsons was delayed getting to the Toyota Center for the Rockets game Monday when he got into an accident. And then the other driver found out who he was and… I will let Jonathan Feigen of the Houston Chronicle tell…
Apr 15, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
And Burke is one of the best rookies in this class….
Carmelo Anthony questionable against Nets tonight, but not if Mike Woodson has anything to say about it
Apr 15, 2014, 11:44 AM EDT
Melo, a pending free agent, could be done playing for Knicks
Apr 15, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT
We know for sure the Pacers play the Hawks in the first round, and we know the Rockets and Blazers will meet. After that all the matchups are still up in the air.
Apr 15, 2014, 10:33 AM EDT
Knicks forward come become free agent this offseason
Apr 15, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
Rockets guard known for defense, anyway, right?
Apr 15, 2014, 9:22 AM EDT
Noah’s good feelings end in 3, 2, 1…
- Tuesday NBA grades: Chris Paul looks playoff ready 0
- Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, Knicks shut him down for season 13
- Celtics’ legend Cedric Maxwell stood in location of Boston Marathon bombing just minutes before 1
- 2014 PBT Awards: Executive of the Year 25
- Playoff Chase: We know all 16 teams going to dance, who dances with whom still up in air 13