Mar 26, 2013, 2:53 PM EDT
As we’ve said before, players performance in the NCAA Tournament doesn’t move the needle on their NBA draft position as much as fans tend to think. It’s one part of the mosaic that includes regular season games, interviews and workouts, among other things.
But it is part of the picture and guys can help and hurt their cause with their performance on the biggest stage. So with that, here are a few draft news and notes out of those games from a variety of sources.
Brown is a 6’4” point guard with great handles and good vision, he needs a steadier shot and to show he can defend at the NBA level. He likely goes late first round. Leslie is going late first or early second, a 6’9” forward who is an incredible athlete but whose game is raw and needs work at both ends.
• Not playing may have been the best thing for Kentucky’s Nerlens Noel. There is no lock consensus No. 1 pick in this draft (no Anthony Davis or Derrick Rose type), and a few people had been touting Ben McLemore out of Kansas. Who between the Big 12 championship game and the first weekend of the NCAA Tournament has gone 4-of-21 shooting (and he’s hit one three in three games). Which might move Kentucky big man Nerlens Noel back to the top of the board despite being out for ACL surgery, reports Chad Ford at ESPN.
While most of the other top prospects have stumbled — some mightily — multiple NBA scouts and GMs remember Noel’s increasing productivity at Kentucky and say, essentially, if every player in the draft this year is going to be a major risk, why not gamble with the ultra-athletic big man and hope his knee and his offensive game both get better?
• Adreian Payne of Michigan State has long been on the radar because of his athleticism at 6’9”, but his performance against Memphis likely helped his cause. This guy was highly recruited out of high school but needed a few years of college to really bring it together, now it looks like he has. Still likely a second round pick, however.
• What about the guys from Florida Gulf Coast that everyone loves? The problem was they were on nobody’s radar before this tournament, now Sherwood Brown and Bernard Thompson are going to get some looks. The underclassmen on this team need to go back to college for a year and show how they can develop. Most likely they all end up playing in Europe some day, but now at least teams are taking a second look at them. That’s all you can really ask.
Aug 4, 2015, 6:02 PM EDT
Everything good now between the Kings franchise player and coach?
Aug 4, 2015, 5:13 PM EDT
This is the real deal
Aug 4, 2015, 4:18 PM EDT
Exum was playing for Australia against Slovenia
Aug 4, 2015, 3:33 PM EDT
Will former Iowa State star make Orlando’s team?
Aug 4, 2015, 2:44 PM EDT
If you don’t get it, ask someone younger
Aug 4, 2015, 1:45 PM EDT
Kobe doesn’t know how he’ll feel next summer. You can’t blame him for that.
Aug 4, 2015, 1:10 PM EDT
No. No they will not.
Aug 4, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
The Serbian national team is expected to protest it.
Aug 4, 2015, 11:57 AM EDT
He will battle Kyle O’Quinn to backup Robin Lopez.
Aug 4, 2015, 10:45 AM EDT
Lawson and Brewer put up impressive offensive numbers together in Denver.
Aug 4, 2015, 10:05 AM EDT
I’m no fashion critic, but they’re not bad.
Aug 4, 2015, 9:14 AM EDT
Somehow I bet he still cashes his paychecks rather than actually playing for free.
Aug 4, 2015, 8:34 AM EDT
Even if he could sign an extension, he wouldn’t.
Aug 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
The Morris twins have denied any involvement, or even knowing the victim.
Aug 4, 2015, 1:05 AM EDT
Thinking long-term is the smart approach, the only one the Mavericks should consider
Aug 3, 2015, 11:17 PM EDT
Kobe Bryant is Beatles during the British Invasion level popular in China.
Aug 3, 2015, 9:59 PM EDT
Brooklyn could have easily kept Clark through training camp
Aug 3, 2015, 9:03 PM EDT
Pacers star maintains status as lock for 2016 Olympic roster – if he wants to play
Aug 3, 2015, 8:16 PM EDT
Trayce Thompson gives Thompson family yet another professional athlete
Aug 3, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT
That’ll keep him a viable candidate for 2016 Olympic roster
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 16
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 7
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 18
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4