Royce White returning to D-League after reportedly leaving without Rockets’ permission

Mar 25, 2013, 3:11 PM EDT

Just four days ago, Kurt wrote, “The saga of Royce White likely ends for this season this way — him on a practice floor in Houston working out, not on the Rockets active roster, not on any roster.” But the saga of Royce White has not ended this season. The latest turn, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports:

Houston Rockets rookie Royce White is reporting back to Rio Grande Valley of D-League and could play on Tuesday, sources tell Y! Sports.

White left without organization’s permission last week, stated he was preparing for next season in Houston, but will return to D-League.

When White left Rio Grande, he tweeted “Have been advised by our team physician it is most logical I be in Houston the remainder of the season,” and he further explained his reasoning in a CNN interview:

“One of the things that is always needed with anxiety or people that deal with anxiety or OCD is routine and normalcy and a sense of comfortability,” White said.

From the outside, this whole situation has been uncomfortable. It’s uncomfortable to know White isn’t showcasing his talent for a reason so difficult to grasp from the outside. It’s uncomfortable to watch the Rockets fail to get on the same page as their first-round pick. It’s uncomfortable to hear from White how unprepared the NBA is to deal with mental illness.

I can’t even imagine how uncomfortable this has been for those involved, especially White.

Unfortunately, I suspect – given White claiming a team doctor advised him and the Rockets claiming White didn’t have permission – their relationship is getting even more uncomfortable.

1. thomaskouns - Mar 25, 2013 at 3:29 PM

I have a funny feeling that anxiety disorder or not, a lot of these ‘issues’ might magically disappear if you took away his guaranteed contract.

On HBO Real Sports he talked about how much anxiety he get’s from driving. Then you see him driving while frequently turning to the camera looking calm as can be.

I don’t want to minimize anxiety disorders but something about this guy has always screamed ‘manipulative’ even with his anxiety disorder.

2. asimonetti88 - Mar 25, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Some people persevere through difficulties and overcome the odds. Royce White has used the difficulties dealt to him as a crutch to turn himself into a constant victim. I do not minimize that he is suffering from some mental health issues, but he can control how he reacts to and deals with his issues. Right now he is reacting to them by reverting to childhood and throwing temper tantrums.

3. eventhorizon04 - Mar 25, 2013 at 3:46 PM

I don’t an anxiety disorder that prevents him from traveling can be used as an excuse for leaving Houston without the team’s permission.

If anything, the anxiety disorder should have made him *less* likely to leave the team without permission…

• dangernearing - Mar 25, 2013 at 3:52 PM

At least one person brought up something valid. Those other two, smh, have everything figured out. Its funny how when ppl cant relate/understand to something/someone they always have a solution for how that issue should be handled.

• asimonetti88 - Mar 25, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Really don’t think its much to ask a 21 year old man to act like a grown up and deal with his issues in a mature manner.

4. fastwillie39 - Mar 25, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Royce white is a joke, he is about himself only, he flew all over Europe and the United States with Iowa state. Suddenly once he gets a check, he can’t do anything, except go on CNN/HBO/ESPN. If he has an illness like he says, he wouldn’t be this media hungry, I know people with this same illness, it is serious, but he is wanting the spotlight much too much.

5. money2long - Mar 25, 2013 at 4:45 PM

royce white doesn’t like to use fly. he uses surf.
    like if you get it lol

6. cbking05 - Mar 25, 2013 at 5:21 PM

I love basketball and hate the drama …but pay attention people…Royce is fighting for a cause. I dont’ understand Royce’s disorder and I’m sure I will never fully understand it, but I understand his commitment for change. Win or lose, Royce is doing what he can to bring light to this disorder…and from listening to him, I’m pretty sure he is not fighting for just himself.

Ease up people, the NBA is still rockin’ … is Royce’s freedom to do what he feels within his power upsetting those without the spotlight to push their own agendas…He is aware his voice is cutting into his futures $$$$$….If Royce doesnt speak up for not only his cause, but others, then who does? I know people in power who have the stage to make a statement and create change for the good, but are too scared to upset others … sad, but most of society succumbs to political or peer pressure … and believe, Royce is feeling the pressure to stop … but here another day and that guy is still here fighting … I’m down with the “Royce White Fight”, even though I’m still being educated on it.

• cbking05 - Mar 25, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Trademarking “ROYCE WHITE FIGHT” right now….

7. bringbackkosar - Mar 25, 2013 at 5:23 PM

anxiety order obviously doesn’t affect him in the tattoo parlor…and he thinks he will obtain “routine and normalcy” with the rigors of travel in the NBA season? give me a break

8. mnwildfan15 - Mar 25, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Where were all these “problems”when he played at MN/ISU? Here’s someone that’s been coddled his whole life and now when it’s time to face the real world he has all these “problems”. Maybe he’d feel better if his mommy was there to hold his hand.

9. bifford - Mar 25, 2013 at 6:06 PM

The Rockets should look to get his contracted voided for health reasons. I can’t assume to know what’s going on in his head, but I don’t believe the NBA career is something he can handle.

Send him back home, where his mommy can take care of him.

10. jjthesportsguy - Mar 25, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Personality disorders didn’t seem to exist prior to about 1990. As a 25 year old who has many friends that have been out of college for 1-3 years I am very worried for my generation. You think the current senior population is killing social security, wait til you see what the generation in their 20s does to welfare. Personality disorders are an excuse for those that don’t want to tough it through the struggles that many of us deal with in the real world on a regular basis.

On a side note, it certainly does not look like the Rockets did their homework on this guy….

11. adoombray - Mar 25, 2013 at 7:47 PM

It’s difficult to describe if you don’t live with it, but this stuff happens with anxiety. you guys are seeing the “good” moments when he is on TV and fighting for his cause. you do not see the bad moments. it goes like that, you are all over the place, and one minute you are convinced you are totally helpless and the next you know everything. It’s called being 21. throw in the anxiety and it’s practically a case study on what happens when you are young, probably over medicated, and have tons of pressure on you.

I am 30 and I live with anxiety every day.

you dont see the 4 am’s waking up in terror over no particular reason. you dont know what its like to be in a room full of people and to be overwhelmed with the sense that they all hate you. dont know why you feel so much pain that you beat yourself up over not being strong enough to contain it. to feel ashamed of how you feel but also to know that facing it fearlessly is the only way to contain it – my social networking posts might as well be Royce’s interviews: whatever it is you’re feeling, you need to scream it out from the mountain tops because it’s too much to keep inside.

Now, how do I cope with it? I don’t medicate. I work out 3-4 times a week. I eat healthy. I go to Suns games… and still manage to keep it together despite the season we had. I only handle my stuff by facing it head on and not making excuses. but it definitely took me my whole life to get here. everybody and their brother is shoving anti depressants down your throat these days and nobody is being taught to cope. I am not going to tell another man how to handle something so immense, but realize, that the “man up and deal with it” advice that gets thrown out there all the time, while correct, takes along time and maturity to develop, and none of you were saints at 21.

While appealing for rationality in a comment section is not exactly a public service anouncement, i really hope some of you guys read this and try to understand it better. The severe anxiety crowd might not want the negative attention that this all generates, and i’m gonna go out and a limb and say that most of us feel like Royce could be handling it way better, the criticism he recieves come at it from the wrong way and he’s right – this country isn’t ready to deal with mental health in a real way, thats why gun control / obesity / inappropriate media controversies are focused on the items themselves, and not the psychological roots of what causes people to be influenced/use them in the wrong way. in other words, we’d rather blame the problems, and lecture people on them, than look at what causes them and prevent them from occuring.

• dko83 - Mar 25, 2013 at 8:31 PM

You spent an awful lot of time defending what thomaskouns nailed… a manipulative man child. I suffer from severe anxiety, made better by medication. Pretty sure Royce’s Doctors are better than mine, yet I’m still functional to a high degree. I can fly, I can deal with the public, and I can make a damn good living despite said disorder…

Stop giving this guy any credit whatsoever. He’s a joke. He has officially replaced Andrew Bynum as my most hated player in the entire league. That’s AFTER I’ve toned down the hate.. This man has done more harm than good for anxiety disorders. Go away, go away forever and stop getting paid millions to hurt the cause you claim to champion. You are a waste. And you do nothing but represent a misleading and inaccurate face for anxiety disorders. You are a #($*&%* joke.

• asimonetti88 - Mar 25, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Kevin Connolly was born with no legs. He could have easily used that as an excuse to be treated special, or to make people feel sorry for him and give him whatever he wanted. Instead, he used it as an excuse to make people feel sorry they WEREN’T him. He’s a world famous photographer, and he now has his own TV show.

Joey Votto is one of the best players in baseball, and has suffered from severe panic attacks his whole life. When his father died in 2009 his anxiety was so bad he actually had to be physically carried off the field when a panic attack hit him. However, he got help for it, and he won the 2010 NL MVP Award.

Both of these guys could have taken the Royce White “I’m a victim” approach but instead they took the cards they were dealt and played with them.

• asimonetti88 - Mar 25, 2013 at 8:51 PM

No one is blaming the problem. Everyone is blaming how he’s dealing with the problem.

• ryanrockzzz - Mar 26, 2013 at 1:11 PM

All of that is true, and certainly not taking anything away from anyone who has this, but the man has a job to do. Play Basketball. And he can’t even show up to do it. Everyone has demons physical, mental, emotional, but some make excuses and hide behind them such as this guy, while others decide to push on and man up. You man up. He hides.

12. beavertonsteve - Mar 25, 2013 at 8:09 PM

I’m guessing that the Rockets are spending more money on HR Attorneys than any other team in NBA history.

13. dukepatrol - Mar 25, 2013 at 10:59 PM

I have dealt with anxiety my whole life.Go back 20 years and many had no idea how to really deal with anxiety disorders. I can absolutely 100% say that in 2013 anxiety can be dealt with and treated. He is holding himself back. Yes it is a terrible illness but definitely manageable and treatable. I don’t get it

14. jckid21 - Mar 26, 2013 at 8:39 AM

One of the job requirements in the NBA is dealing with pressure/anxiety on a daily basis. My suggestions to Royce is find a job that has less anxiety.

PS get prepared for a significant paycut and living with the month to month check anxiety that the rest us deal with.

Trust me…you will see how quick his illness becomes managable.

Woodson, D'Antoni's coaching futures