Mar 25, 2013, 8:42 AM EST
This isn’t a surprise, in fact it was expected. At least we’re not going to go through the silly “of course I’m coming back… wait, I changed my mind” dance.
UNLV forward Anthony Bennett will go pro next season, reports CBSSports.com.
Sources told CBSSports.com that the 6-foot-8 Canadian forward, who averaged 16.1 points and 8.1 rebounds per game this season, will make an official announcement sometime in the next week.
The 6’7” forward is a lock for the lottery, both DraftExpress.com and ESPN’s Chad Ford currently have him going No. 5 overall.
Bennett is a beast in the paint, a guy with big physical frame who is very athletic and has thrown down some of the best dunks of the college season. In college, particularly in a smaller conference, Bennett was largely used as a four but at the next level he’s more a three. Which means the handles and outside shot he’s shown flashes of have to become more consistent, polished parts of his game. But he has the ability to get there.
This is a down draft at the top, there are no franchise anchor, Anthony Davis kind of picks at the top. Which makes this a good year for guys like Bennett to come out. Teams are trying to project where a guy is going to be in three years, and with his athleticism teams will be willing to do a risk on Bennett. He will go higher than he might have most years.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Thunder don’t look like playoff team yet 0
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 6
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 29
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 46
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20