Mar 25, 2013, 3:39 PM EST
One might say the Wizards, who started the season
40-12 and 4-28, were a bit of a circus.
One probably shouldn’t say that to Washington coach Randy Wittman, though.
Coach Randy Wittman just went ballistic on a local TV reporter comparing franchise to a circus
The exact question: “the circus was here this past weekend. Is it a relief to u that this is no longer a circus?”
Wittman: “You didnt seriously just ask me that question, about the (expletive) circus being in town? Are you (expletive) me?
Wittman (cont): “You called this organization a circus at one time. So Im not going to answer that question….”
“I’m part of the damn circus. It’s not a circus around here…. I don’t want to hear that no more. That’s disrespectful”
Wizards people: I phrashed a poor question to Randy Wittman and he let me have it. We shot the [s***] about it 20 minutes later. No big deal
Was looking for one of his “voodoo” answers. Caught him at the wrong time. He’s the man and I didn’t mean any disrespect. We’re cool
To be fair to Jones, he did say the Wizards, who are 20-16 with John Wall, are “no longer a circus,” and Wittman can have a sense of humor at times. But, by nature, NBA coaches tend to be overly sensitive and gruff, and it’s usually best not to poke fun at the job of someone who takes his profession very seriously.
In the end, this is no big deal. Jones probably asked a poor question. Wittman probably overreacted. It sounds like both have both moved on.
The real winners are us, who got to read Wittman’s entertaining answer. We’ll really win, though, once we see video.
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 1
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 7
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 16
- PBT Christmas Day preview: Late game between Clippers and Warriors will see league’s best rivalry renewed 1
- PBT Extra: Top 5 NBA stories of 2014 0
- Five things to watch as NBA takes over Christmas Day 16
- Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao tears Achilles, done for season 30
- Miami Heat fans were hurt when LeBron left, they may let him hear it. Somewhat. 24