Mar 25, 2013, 3:39 PM EDT
One might say the Wizards, who started the season
40-12 and 4-28, were a bit of a circus.
One probably shouldn’t say that to Washington coach Randy Wittman, though.
Coach Randy Wittman just went ballistic on a local TV reporter comparing franchise to a circus
The exact question: “the circus was here this past weekend. Is it a relief to u that this is no longer a circus?”
Wittman: “You didnt seriously just ask me that question, about the (expletive) circus being in town? Are you (expletive) me?
Wittman (cont): “You called this organization a circus at one time. So Im not going to answer that question….”
“I’m part of the damn circus. It’s not a circus around here…. I don’t want to hear that no more. That’s disrespectful”
Wizards people: I phrashed a poor question to Randy Wittman and he let me have it. We shot the [s***] about it 20 minutes later. No big deal
Was looking for one of his “voodoo” answers. Caught him at the wrong time. He’s the man and I didn’t mean any disrespect. We’re cool
To be fair to Jones, he did say the Wizards, who are 20-16 with John Wall, are “no longer a circus,” and Wittman can have a sense of humor at times. But, by nature, NBA coaches tend to be overly sensitive and gruff, and it’s usually best not to poke fun at the job of someone who takes his profession very seriously.
In the end, this is no big deal. Jones probably asked a poor question. Wittman probably overreacted. It sounds like both have both moved on.
The real winners are us, who got to read Wittman’s entertaining answer. We’ll really win, though, once we see video.
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 1
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 1
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 2
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 25
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 6
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 7
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 8
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 15