Mar 25, 2013, 10:31 AM EDT
At this point, why bother?
Back on January 3, Kevin Love re-broke the finger that he had broken during the preseason. The second time meant surgery, but Love hoped to be back for the final 15 or 20 games of the regular season.
But the Timberwolves now have 14 games left and Love is going to see a doctor later this week for another CT scan to see if his hand is healed and he can return to practice. And then games. But he admitted to the Pioneer Press that may not happen.
Timberwolves forward Kevin Love admitted Sunday, March 24, that the thought of sitting out the rest of the season has “crossed my mind,” but the two-time NBA all-star hopes he’s not faced with that decision.
“If the doctor says another week to 10 days or something like that, who knows?” Love said before the Wolves’ game Sunday against Chicago at Target Center. “I’d like to come back, but I know not playing (the rest of the season) has crossed the minds of other people, whether it’s (Wolves president of basketball operations Kahn) David, Glen (Wolves owner Taylor) or coach (Rick Adelman).”
At this point, why should he return? The Timberwolves are not playoffs bound (11 games back of the 8 seed Lakers) and are more in the running for lottery Ping-Pong balls than anything else. Even in a down draft year the No. 8 overall pick can yield someone to be a good rotation player in a couple years, and maybe you get lucky in the lottery.
Why push to get back for 10 meaningless games at the end of the regular season now?
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 0
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 8
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 2
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 15
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 6
- Stephen Curry drops 40, leads 20-point comeback as Warriors beat Pelicans in OT, take 3-0 series lead 10
- Stephen Curry hits ridiculous corner three to force OT (VIDEO) 18