Mar 25, 2013, 10:31 AM EST
At this point, why bother?
Back on January 3, Kevin Love re-broke the finger that he had broken during the preseason. The second time meant surgery, but Love hoped to be back for the final 15 or 20 games of the regular season.
But the Timberwolves now have 14 games left and Love is going to see a doctor later this week for another CT scan to see if his hand is healed and he can return to practice. And then games. But he admitted to the Pioneer Press that may not happen.
Timberwolves forward Kevin Love admitted Sunday, March 24, that the thought of sitting out the rest of the season has “crossed my mind,” but the two-time NBA all-star hopes he’s not faced with that decision.
“If the doctor says another week to 10 days or something like that, who knows?” Love said before the Wolves’ game Sunday against Chicago at Target Center. “I’d like to come back, but I know not playing (the rest of the season) has crossed the minds of other people, whether it’s (Wolves president of basketball operations Kahn) David, Glen (Wolves owner Taylor) or coach (Rick Adelman).”
At this point, why should he return? The Timberwolves are not playoffs bound (11 games back of the 8 seed Lakers) and are more in the running for lottery Ping-Pong balls than anything else. Even in a down draft year the No. 8 overall pick can yield someone to be a good rotation player in a couple years, and maybe you get lucky in the lottery.
Why push to get back for 10 meaningless games at the end of the regular season now?
- Monday night NBA Grades: DeMarcus Cousins was in beast mode 0
- PBT Extra: Kobe Bryant is back, doesn’t have much time to get it right 3
- It’s official, Clippers agree to terms with Stephen Jackson 3
- PBT NBA Power Rankings: At the quarter pole Portland takes the lead 17
- Paul Pierce practiced Monday, could return vs. Celtics Tuesday 2
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)