Mar 25, 2013, 10:31 AM EST
At this point, why bother?
Back on January 3, Kevin Love re-broke the finger that he had broken during the preseason. The second time meant surgery, but Love hoped to be back for the final 15 or 20 games of the regular season.
But the Timberwolves now have 14 games left and Love is going to see a doctor later this week for another CT scan to see if his hand is healed and he can return to practice. And then games. But he admitted to the Pioneer Press that may not happen.
Timberwolves forward Kevin Love admitted Sunday, March 24, that the thought of sitting out the rest of the season has “crossed my mind,” but the two-time NBA all-star hopes he’s not faced with that decision.
“If the doctor says another week to 10 days or something like that, who knows?” Love said before the Wolves’ game Sunday against Chicago at Target Center. “I’d like to come back, but I know not playing (the rest of the season) has crossed the minds of other people, whether it’s (Wolves president of basketball operations Kahn) David, Glen (Wolves owner Taylor) or coach (Rick Adelman).”
At this point, why should he return? The Timberwolves are not playoffs bound (11 games back of the 8 seed Lakers) and are more in the running for lottery Ping-Pong balls than anything else. Even in a down draft year the No. 8 overall pick can yield someone to be a good rotation player in a couple years, and maybe you get lucky in the lottery.
Why push to get back for 10 meaningless games at the end of the regular season now?
- Pistons release Josh Smith. WHAT? 50
- Lakers may give Kobe Bryant some nights off to rest. If he wants them. 25
- PBT’s Sunday Night Winners/Losers: Anthony Davis is playing like an MVP 13
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 7
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 20
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 14
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10