Mar 25, 2013, 2:26 PM EDT
While Dwyane Wade was proving himself the best player on a championship team during the 2006 NBA Finals – better than even Shaquille O’Neal – a sizable group of detractors were bemoaning Wade getting every foul call in his favor.
Apparently, Chris Kaman was in that group. Kaman on BaD Radio 104.1 FM The Ticket, as transcribed by The Dallas Morning News:
I’m not much of a Dwyane Wade fan, but I’m a LeBron James fan. I’ve been watching him play, and we were in the same draft together. He’s had a great career already. I don’t want him to win everything, but I’m ok with the winning streak. I’m not against it or really for it. I just never really go along with (Dwyane Wade). I guess I just don’t like his style or whatever. I didn’t like the year the Mavs lost when he got all the foul calls. I didn’t like that.”
That will surely endear Kaman to Mavericks fans who still complain about Wade’s 16.2 free-throw attempts per game in the 2006 Finals. But Kaman, a free agent this summer, probably isn’t long for Dallas, and his potential destinations might have just shrunk by one. The Heat will probably look to add a center this summer, though it’s very difficult now to see Kaman as a fit.
Kaman, who’s always come across as willing to speak his mind, probably won’t regret the tradeoff – just as I’m sure Wade won’t apologize for how he won the Finals MVP.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 1
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 1
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 8
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 13
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11