Mar 25, 2013, 2:26 PM EDT
While Dwyane Wade was proving himself the best player on a championship team during the 2006 NBA Finals – better than even Shaquille O’Neal – a sizable group of detractors were bemoaning Wade getting every foul call in his favor.
Apparently, Chris Kaman was in that group. Kaman on BaD Radio 104.1 FM The Ticket, as transcribed by The Dallas Morning News:
I’m not much of a Dwyane Wade fan, but I’m a LeBron James fan. I’ve been watching him play, and we were in the same draft together. He’s had a great career already. I don’t want him to win everything, but I’m ok with the winning streak. I’m not against it or really for it. I just never really go along with (Dwyane Wade). I guess I just don’t like his style or whatever. I didn’t like the year the Mavs lost when he got all the foul calls. I didn’t like that.”
That will surely endear Kaman to Mavericks fans who still complain about Wade’s 16.2 free-throw attempts per game in the 2006 Finals. But Kaman, a free agent this summer, probably isn’t long for Dallas, and his potential destinations might have just shrunk by one. The Heat will probably look to add a center this summer, though it’s very difficult now to see Kaman as a fit.
Kaman, who’s always come across as willing to speak his mind, probably won’t regret the tradeoff – just as I’m sure Wade won’t apologize for how he won the Finals MVP.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 42
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 34
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18