Mar 23, 2013, 12:03 AM EDT
The Miami Heat re-signed Juwan Howard for the rest of the season after inking him to the maximum of two 10-day contracts.
In those 20 days, Howard played a grand total of zero minutes, which says all you need to know about how the Heat view him. They clearly value his veteran presence, and he’ll surely appreciate a chance to win another ring. There’s definitely a mutual respect here.
By waiting so long to sign him, the Heat saved Howard from some wear and tear on his 74-year-old body. They probably won’t need to play him much, if it all, this season – they’ve won 25 straight without using him – but if they do, he should be fresh.
- PBT Extra: Are Pacers or Spurs in any trouble in first round? 5
- All PBT’s first round playoff previews in one place 0
- Grizzlies guard Nick Calathes suspended 20 games for violating NBA’s anti-drug policy 26
- Craig Sager has acute leukemia 28
- NBA Playoff Preview: Dallas Mavericks vs. San Antonio Spurs 6