Chris Bosh says he’ll take a championship over the all-time win streak ‘every time’

Mar 23, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT

Miami Heat Victory Parade And Rally Getty Images

The Heat ran their win streak to 25 on Friday with another double-digit comeback win, and the fact that the team has shown a consistent ability to flip the switch defensively and take control of a game that fast has many looking toward the consecutive games record of 33 that was set by the 1971-72 Lakers.

There are plenty who believe Miami has a legitimate shot at getting there, due to a combination of the upcoming schedule and the high level at which the Heat are playing, even though setting the all-time mark would require another nine straight victories.

The talk of the streak surrounds the Miami players, both professionally and personally. Friends and family of the Heat are debating the importance of getting the record, but in the eyes of Chris Bosh, it would mean far less than winning a second straight title.

From Michael Wallace of ESPN.com:

Once, Bosh found himself debating with a friend. The topic was whether potentially being the only team in NBA history to win 34 games in a row was more significant a feat than being one of a dozen to repeat as champions.

Bosh ended the discussion much like the Heat have closed games lately. With a dominant flurry.

“I’m going for the championship every time,” Bosh said. “You don’t get a plaque, a ring or nothing for 34 wins in a row. You get a record that’ll probably be broken one day. Records are meant to be broken. But championships last forever. As a team, we know that. Somebody was telling me it would be way cooler to win 33 in a row. I’m like, ‘Man, please. Get out of here with that.’ They won’t be throwing confetti after [34]. I’ll guaran-damn-tee you that.”

Bosh has a point, but the good news for him and the rest of his teammates is this: They don’t have to choose between one or the other.

The Heat are favored to repeat as champions, and stretching the streak to 35 games (or ultimately falling short) wouldn’t do anything to change that.

1. miamatt - Mar 23, 2013 at 3:44 PM

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Without a championship, the Heat’s streak- even if they set a new mark- means nothing without a championship to back it up. Without a title, the Heat’s win streak is an outlier like the ’07-’08 Rockets or the ’07 Patriots.

While the 72 wins are the symbol people point to when referencing the Bulls in ’95-’96, it is really what happened in the postseason that makes that team relevant.

• Foul Dwimmerlaik - Mar 24, 2013 at 7:24 AM

Well said. But still, the Heat’s accomplishment this season should be given its due. One must appreciate their accomplishment, fan or no. What I appreciate is that they are trying to prove to naysayers that they are not one-heat-wonders. THEY ARE REALLY DEFENDING THEIR CROWN.

I’m a Laker fan for the longest time since the early 80’s and I DON’T HATE any team. I just hate those Laker-haters. AS AN NBA FAN, I appreciate also the success of other teams and give credit where credit is due.

Props to the Miami Heat for what they have done this season, regardless whether they repeat or not.

2. xxakshunxx - Mar 23, 2013 at 3:45 PM

I don’t think there is ONE professional athlete in the world who would go on record to say he would take a streak over a championship

3. dolphindubs - Mar 23, 2013 at 4:35 PM

I’m a huge fan of the NBA and have been for years and enjoy the history of the league. I have always know that the ’72 Lakers held the win streak record with 33 in a row. What I didnt know until just recently was that they also won the championship that same year.

Every single year a championship will be won, but not every single year a record like this will be set.

4. thetooloftools - Mar 23, 2013 at 5:13 PM

I really thought Bosh was a stoner strap on till I hear him on The Jim Rome Show a few years ago. I was amazed at his vision and thoughts.
    No joke.
    He’s not just riding the wave.

• mogogo1 - Mar 25, 2013 at 12:51 AM

He is such a huge part of that team. Everybody wants to build a big 3 but best of luck finding somebody as unselfish as Bosh who has that much game.

5. 1972wasalongtimeago - Mar 23, 2013 at 5:34 PM

News flash. It’s ALWAYS been about the championships.

6. eugenesaxe - Mar 23, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Bosh will take whatever leb/Wade let him have, and he’ll like it.

• mogogo1 - Mar 25, 2013 at 12:55 AM

Exactly true…and that is why they are so good. Most teams fall apart because the stars all want to be the alpha dog and guys decide they’d rather be the first option on a bad team than the third on a great one.

7. totoywoods - Mar 23, 2013 at 6:03 PM

go bulls!

8. totoywoods - Mar 23, 2013 at 6:10 PM

whatever happens, either they break the record or not…

i’m still hoping they won’t make it this year.

d rose we need you…
    viva el bulls!

9. scratchnsniffnblog - Mar 23, 2013 at 11:51 PM

In other news, I’ll take $1,000,000 dollars over $100,000 if given the choice.

10. jessethegreat - Mar 24, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Streaks are neat and a statistical high mark in sports, but all streaks come to an end….. Eventually.

Streaks that identify players more so than rings that I can name of off the top of my head:

Joe DiMaggio 56 game hitting streak. I do know this # but not how many rings he earned off the top of my head and I’m a yanks fan.

Ripken Jr. 2131 broke the Iron horse’s streak. Not sure how many he finished with.

That’s it for streaks that ring louder in my memory than championships… And I can name every championship in all 4 major sports in the last 27-35 or so years… And I’m only 30.

11. cantonbound13 - Mar 24, 2013 at 7:18 AM

Did he cry after he said it? Hahaha!!! Bosh Spice, the rebounding machine!

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches