Pacers likely without David West all weekend due to back

Mar 22, 2013, 11:10 AM EDT

David West AP

The Pacers have enough trouble scoring points (20th ranked offense), so this is bad news.

David West, the Pacers second leading scorer on the season at 17.3 points per game, likely will be out this weekend for two games due to a bad back, tweets Mike Wells of the Indy Star. That would be Friday night against Milwaukee and Saturday night against the Bulls.

West has already been out a couple games because of the back and reports are he was having trouble walking because of the pain.

For the Pacers, it’s about the playoffs when they will need West’s pick-and-pop skills, his veteran presence and his points, so look for them to give him as much time off as he needs.

They can do that because Tyler Hansbrough has stepped up when thrust into a starter’s role averaging 16 points and 12.5 rebounds in West’s place the last two games.

1. progress2011 - Mar 22, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Carlos Boozer 2.0

This guy has the size and “POTENTIAL” to be an elite player……..Karl Malone type size.

But the major difference between a player like Malone, Boozer and West is mental toughness !

Boozer and West just seem soft mentally, which can lead to physical weakness!

Lastly, I think he needs to spend more time with a personal trainer and in the weight room.

Looking at his body and the body of Blake Griffin or Karl Malone….there are drastic differences in appearance, which could be due to lack of conditioning ….which leads to more injuries also.

• davidly - Mar 22, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Uninformed comment.

• progress2011 - Mar 23, 2013 at 2:35 AM

Don’t come on here with that LAME response !

I stated my FACTS…if you dispute them, bring some facts of your own to refute them.

Otherwise get lost !

• davidly - Mar 23, 2013 at 8:22 AM

You stated no facts. Period. Now you get lost.

• davidly - Mar 24, 2013 at 5:09 AM

Okay, I have given this some though and wish to apologize for my rudeness.

I guess I just felt that the “soft mentally” was not accurate.

I do agree completely, however, that a lack of conditioning leads to more injuries. If you are right about West, I hope he takes your advice.

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview