Mar 22, 2013, 5:58 PM EDT
The Wizards are playing out the string — but playing it out pretty well. They are 9-7 since the All-Star break and have won four of five heading into Los Angeles to face the Lakers Friday.
That’s what happens when you get your two key players — John Wall and Nene — back on the floor, recovered from injuries.
Except, Nene isn’t all that healthy anymore as the season winds down. Which means Kevin Seraphin could get a bigger shot, reports J. Michael at CSNWashington.com.
Nene is having trouble reaching the finish line. The power forward has sore knees, a shoulder and wrist. Seraphin, who has showcased a soft jump hook in the lane, could get more chances.
Nene is simply one of those players that just seems to be an injury magnet. I wonder if that will ever change, but with no Olympics this summer maybe his body will get time to recover.
Seraphin has had moments this season, including 8-of-11 shooting for 16 points against Phoenix. But Seraphin’s efficiency has fallen off this season because he is taking two more shots a game beyond 16 feet and hitting just 34 percent of those. He’s got a deft touch around the rim and can knock down a shorter midrange, but he needs to be more physical.
Coach Randy Wittman also said he needs to deal better with double teams in the post.
“He’s getting to understand it a little better and better. Double-teams? He’s doing a much better job of staying patient, not going too quick, reading to see back if they’re coming back right away and then getting rid of it to the first open,” Wittman said recently. “A lot of times, that was his problem. He was trying to make the great play out of the double-teams (instead) of getting rid of it so you don’t get yourself into trouble.”
It’s a process. You see moments with Seraphin, he keeps showing promise. Pretty soon he needs to show more than that.
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 2
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 2
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 2
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 27
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 7
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 9
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 8
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 15