Mar 22, 2013, 9:51 PM EDT
Larry Sanders of the Bucks needs an attitude adjustment if he’s ever going to reach his full potential as an NBA player. It’s unclear if the current people on the Milwaukee Bucks coaching staff are the right men for the job, but what is painfully obvious is that Sanders is out of control, and his emotional outbursts aimed at the league’s officials must be stopped.
Early in the third quarter of the Bucks’ loss to the Pacers on Friday, Sanders was whistled for a minor foul call that turned into a major event. He let the officials have it verbally to pick up his first technical foul, then briefly headed towards a referee to continue to express his displeasure, before he was pulled away by teammate Marquis Daniels.
That demonstrative effort got Sanders whistled for his second technical foul, which came with it an automatic ejection. He had grabbed 12 rebounds in just 19 minutes of action to that point, and the game wasn’t yet out of hand, with the Bucks trailing by just six at the time.
Durant and Bryant are offensive superstars who get fouled excessively for the entirety of the game on a nightly basis, so their numbers in this category are somewhat understandable. Sanders, however, is an athletic defensive specialist, who is known for rebounds and blocked shots above all else.
Sanders now has more technical fouls than the likes of DeMarcus Cousins and Kendrick Perkins, both of whom have a terrible reputation with the officials for constant and excessive complaining. Sanders does not want to be placed in that category by the league’s referees, because in the grand scheme of things it will prevent him from becoming the elite defender he seems to be capable of evolving into, at least from a pure talent perspective.
After being fined $50,000 for comments made to an official, and after Milwaukee head coach Jim Boylan said he’d have a serious conversation with Sanders about this very topic, the message still hasn’t gotten through. We’ll see if it does eventually, but if not, Sanders will quickly find himself in the Cousins category of wasted talent that nobody is interested in watching.
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 0
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 0
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 4
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 16
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40