Royce White leaving D-League team, will be in Houston but not on Rockets

Mar 21, 2013, 11:31 AM EDT

Royce White AP

The saga of Royce White likely ends for this season this way — him on a practice floor in Houston working out, not on the Rockets active roster, not on any roster.

White had been playing with the Rio Grand Valley Vipers of the D-League and after a slow start had been putting up decent numbers recently, but he will not be with the team for the rest of the season, he tweeted.

At the heart of the negotiations between White and Rockets that kept the first round pick away from the team for half a season was the question of if his doctor and psychologist would be able to overrule the team on issues. He has that power and this is White using for his mental health on his doctor’s advice.

I don’t have any problem with that, nobody should. If you’re doctor told you to take time off work for your health, what would you do?

But the question remains of how White can fit all of this into the demands of an NBA schedule and lifestyle. I’m not sure how that question gets answered.

1. mralfredepps - Mar 21, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Man I am sick of hearing about this dude. Make him a mental health assistant for the team and call it a day. He will never play on an NBA team with his anxiety disorder

2. jacobstevens20 - Mar 21, 2013 at 11:43 AM

who cares. either hes going to play or hes not going to play. really, who cares.

3. timb12 - Mar 21, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Call me Mr Conspiracy Theory, but I’m sure this has something to do with him claiming no one wants him in the league.

4. pacific123ocean - Mar 21, 2013 at 11:46 AM

This young man is irrelevant at this point. So, can we put a moratorium on any Royce White news until he makes his NBA debut?

5. gmsalpha - Mar 21, 2013 at 11:56 AM

The Dwight Howard saga was called The Dwightmare.
    Is it time to coin the phrase “The Whitemare” yet?

• 00maltliquor - Mar 22, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Uncontrolable LOLing right now! That was great!

6. kvvvv2391 - Mar 21, 2013 at 12:02 PM

If I never heard this name again, it would be OK with me. Goodbye. Good riddance. #Headcase

7. mogogo1 - Mar 21, 2013 at 12:12 PM

“White suffers from a generalized anxiety disorder, something the Rockets knew when they drafted him. With that for White comes a fear of flying, but also the condition is dealt with by having a lot of structure and routine. All of that is a challenge with the NBA lifestyle.”
    ____________________________

I’m going to call BS on that last line. During the season, the NBA is pretty darn structured: Games are scheduled, travel is scheduled, practices are scheduled, etc. There are certainly more games and more travel than he experienced in college, but he also gets to concentrate on just basketball rather than having to work classes into the mix. Either this kid is simply difficult to work with, or his disorder has gotten considerably worse.

• Kurt Helin - Mar 21, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Knowing in advance what the schedule is and saying it is easy to have a consistent routine are two different things.

8. illogic87 - Mar 21, 2013 at 12:24 PM

such a noob

9. yousername1512 - Mar 21, 2013 at 12:47 PM

“White’s return to Houston does not mean he will be on the Rockets’ roster, rather he will be working out at team facilities.”

“I don’t have any problem with that, nobody should.”

Your comma splices are hurting my eyes and diminishing a decent blog. Please stop using them, unless you’re writing a text message, which this isn’t.

10. convincedofthehex - Mar 21, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Don’t go away mad Royce, just go away.

11. circuscivics - Mar 21, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Based on these comments and the tone of this article, it is obvious why many don’t disclose that they have a mental illness. If he was taking time off because he had a malfunctioning heart or other organ, I am pretty sure that he would not be met with the amount of snark and skeptism that I see in this message board. He has a mental illness and is trying to workout accommodations with his employer. I applaud him for not being short sighted; chasing the dollars and appeasing fans and the organization at the expense of his long-term health. I think that many mistakenly feel that you can will your way past mental illness. It is an illness that requires treatment and theropy just like any other illness. If his employers are willing to accommodate him, then more power to Royce.

• 00maltliquor - Mar 22, 2013 at 1:45 AM

I guess my response to that is you most likely haven’t read ALL the Royce articles since the time he got drafted up unto this point. Or seen his “tweets”.

Trust, first articles were nothing but heavy in his favor….now…..not so much. He has worn most people down with his negitivity and everyone’s-to-blame-but-me attitude.

12. louhudson23 - Mar 21, 2013 at 1:33 PM

There are two separate issues here. Royce Whites battle with certain mental health issues and Royce Whites ability to contribute to a team and earn his pay as an NBA player. He may conquer his issues. He may make an NBA roster. Only one of these issues involves the Houston Rockets,who took a chance on a player whose health(like any number of injured players)coming out of college was a question mark. Like any other injured player,his health may or may not prevent them from performing at the level required(as determined by the team). White’s battle will continue,but his NBA career looks less and less likely. Royce White seems to confuse the two issues.I think it will become very clear to him soon.Good luck to him in whatever endeavors he pursues post NBA…..and most assuredly in finding answers to what plagues him.

13. bifford - Mar 21, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Just go away, Royce. You obviously are an incredibly weak minded person that wants a crutch for everything in life.

• trbowman - Mar 21, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Typical ignorance from somebody who knows nothing about neuroscience.

Unfortunately it sounds like White isn’t fond of psychiatry. He could benefit from medication to treat his disorder

14. howitzer819 - Mar 21, 2013 at 2:38 PM

I am a sufferer of pretty serious anxiety; I have nights where I can’t go to bed because my heart is pounding through my chest, little things that shouldn’t bother me do, I have terrible nausea when I think about things like going to work and entering other stressful situations; but I manage. I don’t try to use my illness as a crutch, and people like Royce White make me sick. He’s a baby that wants the entire world to be built for him and if someone is unwilling to go beyond the realistic and into the realm of the insane then he’s going to say “well I’m suffering wah wah wah”. It isn’t fair, and he is painting people that suffer from anxiety in a negative way. I get up and go to work every day, I don’t make demands or blast my boss to accomodate me and I certainly don’t get paid millions of dollars to play a game. I don’t like the notion of flying, but guess what, if I want to go to California from Florida, I’m sure as hell not driving. If this cat is suffering, legitimately feel for him; but he’s really enjoying the smell of his own farts way too much and I hope he goes away; work a 9-5 in an office, work as a server, go do anything else.

• pacific123ocean - Mar 21, 2013 at 4:35 PM

I agree with what you are saying. And, it’s because as a excellent athlete growing up, I am sure he was coddled, and never had to be responsible. Add to that the fact that he is young and has never had a real job, and his sense of reality is distorted, regardless of his anxiety disorder. He thinks he is an expert on anxiety and the workplace…but, again he has never had a real job.

15. slippyal2 - Mar 21, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Caught a little bit of one of his games on NBA TV, the guy has man boobs.

• michaeljordanseviltwin - Mar 21, 2013 at 8:46 PM

LOL moobs. (Trademark Phil Mickelson)

16. jjthesportsguy - Mar 21, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Get on the plane already. If I could get paid millions to play a child’s game I’d ride a python to the games(I hate snakes).

17. pukpokito - Mar 22, 2013 at 12:15 AM

First thing that Mr.White needs to work on is to conform..with the NBA, the Rockets.It is just the way it is and is a privilege to be playing in the league.All things considered, He must be the one to give first so he can receive.So many people want his opportunity.Those people will not understand his situation nor do they care to. But it is what Mr.White needs to understand that matters and how he can make it work.I thought the Rockets have been fair.

18. dko83 - Mar 22, 2013 at 3:55 AM

I skipped all the comments but I agree with anyone who said, “go away.”

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview