Mar 21, 2013, 11:31 AM EST
The saga of Royce White likely ends for this season this way — him on a practice floor in Houston working out, not on the Rockets active roster, not on any roster.
White had been playing with the Rio Grand Valley Vipers of the D-League and after a slow start had been putting up decent numbers recently, but he will not be with the team for the rest of the season, he tweeted.
White’s return to Houston does not mean he will be on the Rockets’ roster, rather he will be working out at team facilities.
White suffers from a generalized anxiety disorder, something the Rockets knew when they drafted him. With that for White comes a fear of flying, but also the condition is dealt with by having a lot of structure and routine. All of that is a challenge with the NBA lifestyle.
At the heart of the negotiations between White and Rockets that kept the first round pick away from the team for half a season was the question of if his doctor and psychologist would be able to overrule the team on issues. He has that power and this is White using for his mental health on his doctor’s advice.
I don’t have any problem with that, nobody should. If you’re doctor told you to take time off work for your health, what would you do?
But the question remains of how White can fit all of this into the demands of an NBA schedule and lifestyle. I’m not sure how that question gets answered.
- Tom Thibodeau says Derrick Rose ‘didn’t re-injure himself’ after playing just 10 minutes in loss to Nuggets 0
- Lakers granted $4.85 million disabled-player exception for Steve Nash injury 8
- Kobe Bryant: “We’re not a 3-11 team. We’re not.” 22
- Tom Thibodeau is getting tired of answering Derrick Rose questions 15
- Veteran NBA coach: ‘I think (Cavaliers head coach David Blatt) is struggling a bit’ 30
- PBT’s Monday night NBA Winners/Losers: That looks more like the Cavaliers we expected 12
- Carmelo Anthony exits Knicks-Rockets game with apparent back injury 9
- Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant progressing in rehab, Westbrook could play Friday 6