Mar 21, 2013, 11:47 PM EDT
Rick Adelman is one of the best veteran head coaches in the NBA, and is currently presiding over a young and promising Minnesota Timberwolves squad that will be extremely compelling once all of its players are at full strength.
Injuries to Kevin Love, Ricky Rubio, and many others in Minnesota have essentially made this a lost season for the franchise. Adelman has missed 11 games himself, but his absence was due to medical issues with his wife that caused him to be away from the team for 11 games in January.
Should those issues persist, Adelman may have to give up the coaching game altogether.
Timberwolves coach Rick Adelman, after twice contemplating quitting this season, may resign in the summer if his wife continues to have health issues, he told NBA.com on Thursday.
“They’ve been terrific with everything,” he said of management, as wife Mary Kay was hospitalized and doctors tried to determine the cause of seizures. Now, clearly worn down by difficult months on the personal front and a challenging season on the court as the Timberwolves drown in a flurry of injuries, he admitted, “there’s a couple times I really struggled whether I should come back.” He later added: “I’m sure I’ll be thinking more about it as we move on here (through the season).”
Adelman’s loss would be a big one to this Timberwolves team, as there aren’t a lot of veteran head coaches out there who have close to 1,000 career victories under their belt who could replace him.
There’s no question Adelman should choose family over basketball if the situation with his wife is dire, just as he did earlier this season. The question will be how long he needs to remain away, and who the Minnesota franchise can get to fill his shoes in the interim, or in the event that Adelman decides he needs to step away once and for all.
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 20
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 7
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 20
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4