Kobe Bryant tells his teammates not to expect passes from him unless they demand the ball

Mar 21, 2013, 2:21 PM EST

Kobe Bryant, Nick Collison

What do Kobe Bryant and Gilbert Arenas have in common? According to Antawn Jamison, both will shoot when triple-teamed.

The difference between Kobe and Arenas? According to Jamison, Bryant will pass if yelled at and Arenas will shoot regardless.

“Kobe will tell you, he’s like, ‘Look, you guys as my teammates, yell at me. Let me know that you’re open because I’m so programmed,’” Jamison told ESPN LA radio. “And this guy has told me this. ‘I see nothing but that basket. You could be open. It could be three guys on me. But the only thing I see is that basket. So, you have to tell me, Look, I was open. Or yell at me in mid-play.’ He said, ‘That doesn’t affect me at all, and I respect that.’ So, you know, I’ve dealt with Gilbert, who, ‘Look, I’m going to shoot with three guys on me, and that’s it.’”

Setting aside Arenas averaging more assists per 36 minutes (5.4) than Bryant (4.7) in his career, it’s no surprise Bryant becomes so single-minded with the ball in his hands. After all, he has led the NBA in usage percentage three times for a reason.

If we learned anything from Jamison’s interview, it’s how vocal Kobe’s teammates must be this season, considering Kobe is averaging a career-high 5.5 assists per 36 minutes.

1. Clayton Bigsby - Mar 21, 2013 at 2:35 PM

“BTW, if you start missing your shots. You dont get the rock”

-KObe

• loungefly74 - Mar 21, 2013 at 4:19 PM

LOL. very true. guys like smush parker learned the hard way…

2. progress2011 - Mar 21, 2013 at 2:51 PM

AHAHAHAHAHahahaha

Fake MJ/ Harlem Globetrotter/ And 1/ Jack-Up-Artist don’t wanna pass the ball…..WHAT ELSE IS NEW!

Dude has NEVA wanted to pass the rock his entire career !

The TEAM plays better “TEAM BALL” without him.The chemistry seems to be clicking without him.

If the ownership and coaching staff allow this clown to disrupt ANY CHANCE of them getting better for the rest of the season and next year…..they deserve not to make the playoffs and be humiliated!

nar·cis·sist [nahr-suh-sist]
    noun
    1. a person who is overly self-involved, and often vain and selfish.
    2. Psychoanalysis . a person who suffers from narcissism, deriving erotic gratification from admiration of his or her own physical or mental attributes.

This is why CP3 and now D12 didn’t want to play with this dude….ahahahaha……FAKERS !

• Mr. Wright 212 - Mar 21, 2013 at 3:59 PM

He was ready to go to LAL dimwit.

• musician0785 - Mar 21, 2013 at 4:04 PM

“We talked and [Bryant] told me what he did when he had problems, and I see it for myself now,” said Howard. “He was always saying, ‘I get into the gym and shoot 5,000 shots.’ To see it shows me how dedicated he is.”

“I always tell him, ‘I’m afraid to miss. So, when I get there, I don’t want to miss, so I end up missing,'” Howard continued. “He was like, ‘You know what, shoot 1,000 jump shots a day and you’re going to miss a lot of those shots, but then you’re teaching yourself that, hey, it’s OK to miss.'”

“Now I see it,” said Howard. “So [Bryant] gets out there and might miss a couple of threes, next thing you know he’ll make nine threes in a row. You see it and it just kind of gives you more inspiration.”–Dwight howard

So there goes that

• musician0785 - Mar 21, 2013 at 4:06 PM

“I think this is a blessing for me, to experience the stuff that I’ve experienced this year. It’s just going to make me a better man and a better player,” said Howard. “Just from watching Kobe — this has been great for me. I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

HAHAHAHAHAHA how wrong were YOU

• keak619 - Mar 21, 2013 at 5:13 PM

This has to be the most misconstrued interpretation from an article I have ever seen. The whole article Jaminson is praising Kobe and his unparallaed work ethic, yet this writed choose to build upon a certain passage, and take it completely out of context.

• progress2011 - Mar 21, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Ahahahaha….

111 Thumbs down ! I got EVERY FAKER fan outta bed….ahahahaha

Ya’ll hate to hear FACTS marinaded in salt !

• fventricle - Mar 21, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Your English is impeccable.

• mytthor - Mar 22, 2013 at 1:54 AM

not Laker fans. Just intelligence fans.

• 00maltliquor - Mar 22, 2013 at 12:51 AM

OMG just STFU already you loser!

Ahahahahahahaha..aaaaa just… shut…up! God you’re annoying!

• norcal031 - Mar 22, 2013 at 1:50 AM

Dont forget about EAGLE and the chair……Its already been 10 years since that all went down?? Shaq got thrown straight under a jumbo jet that nite “Oh uh….thats what Shaq and them do all the time”………I heard they sold the furnature from that room for abunch of money. The sad thing is that I actually wish the Lakers were playing well because when Kobe was passing and the ball was moving they were fun to watch….

• fanofevilempire - Mar 22, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Kobe is the BOSS of the team, I thought that was established already.

• Foul Dwimmerlaik - Mar 23, 2013 at 12:44 AM

If you’re the epitome of progress then I hate to see what regress would look like.

Really, you’re such a d0ucheb@g.

3. decimusprime - Mar 21, 2013 at 3:03 PM

“And even if you hit a few don’t expect the rock. My target is the basket and I’m an assassin.”

~K.B.

4. reesesteel23 - Mar 21, 2013 at 3:04 PM

LOL @ “career high 5.5 assist per 36″

And this is the guy we are all supposed to agree is the best ‘basketball’ player on the planet?

• Mr. Wright 212 - Mar 21, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Yes. Because he’s not a point guard, Hubie.

• bucrightoff - Mar 21, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Neither is LeBron James, who just for fun has a career single season low of 5.9 assists per game…Oh and he shoots a higher percentage than Kobe, with a higher rebound average…why is this a debate who’s better?

• dal24la - Mar 21, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Under bucrightoff’s logic, Lebron must be better than Jordan since he averages more APG and RPG than him.

• urodaddy07 - Mar 21, 2013 at 9:11 PM

How many assists per game did MJ average? 5.3 so Kobe’s figures are pretty good for a 2-guard. Lebron doesn’t really have a defined position and whatever position he plays he is the primary ball handler and defacto PG. having said that I believe he is a better all round player. Doesn’t mean Kobe isn’t one of the greatest of all times. He is. I mean, why can’t you you be a fan of both guys? I don’t really like the guy and I do think he should pass more, but if you think LA is better without him, then you are plum crazy. Tat offence would stink up the place; Tuesday’s game was just a little sneak peak of just how bad it would be. Don’t be fooled by the previous 2 games, these guys are not good perimeter shooters and those two games are not how they typically shoot the ball. MWP and Antawn are no 50%+ shooters. Okay?

5. zacksdad - Mar 21, 2013 at 4:13 PM

I listened to the interview. He did not state that Kobe would not pass the ball to other teammates. he stated that if you were open and Kobe should have passed it to you, it is OK to yell at him. You guys try to make this an issue when Jamison was actually trying to complement Kobe.

• dal24la - Mar 21, 2013 at 8:39 PM

#Count on PBT to post misleading posts

• 00maltliquor - Mar 22, 2013 at 12:56 AM

FOR REAL! No lie, right!? Sheesh!

• dko83 - Mar 22, 2013 at 3:54 AM

Gotta get those clicks, and that paycheck.

6. herlies - Mar 21, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Why not pass the ball to the open man?

You know… like the guy who is about to win his 4th MVP?

• sportsstar4u - Mar 22, 2013 at 11:04 AM

It’s a lot easier to pass to Dwayne Wade, Ray Allen, and Shane Battier on the perimeter than to Metta World Peace, Steve Blake, and Jodie Meeks.

7. lakerluver - Mar 21, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Thanks for the stellar piece of “commentary”. This article might as well have been titled “Kobe haters and LAKERS trolls have at it”!! Maybe the fact that Gilbert was a combo guard has something to do with him averaging one more assist than Kobe. Of course you fail to mention that.
    #theLAKERSzealot

8. lakerluver - Mar 21, 2013 at 4:52 PM

And the whole “who’s best between Kobe and whoever” is old and tired. At the end of the day Kobe is one of the greatest ever. The only people who really care are the haters. He’s a first ballot HOF’er, 5 time champion, filthy rich, beloved by fans of the greatest franchise in sports, top 5-10 player ever, married to a smoking hot woman, father of two beautiful daughters AND has his own freaking helicopter!! Now, haters, tally up your accomplishments and compare them to his.
    #theLAKERSzealot

• solomon151 - Mar 21, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Well, I don’t know if this counts but, I have two beautiful children, a hot girl friend with no drama, house, awesome job, and won seven madden tournaments at work. I get off and don’t have to ice down or nothing. Lol. I think I have it pretty good!!!!!! #bullsfan4life!!!

• jason0821 - Mar 21, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Then i guess you are qualified to play for Lakers. Why dont you try???
        Lol

• 00maltliquor - Mar 22, 2013 at 1:05 AM

That IS pretty good!

Hot GF w/ no drama is super rare, but what do you do for work where you can get away with playing Madden, pull off a tourney, and then proceed to do so 6 more times….and apparently get away with it!? That IS an awesome job!

• sportsstar4u - Mar 22, 2013 at 11:05 AM

LOL @ won seven madden tournaments at work. Too funny.

9. dannymac17 - Mar 21, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Shouldn’t have to yell at your team mate to pass the ball.

That’s not how it works.

10. kb2408 - Mar 21, 2013 at 5:05 PM

You somehow failed to mention Gilbert was a combo guard, meaning he played a lot of point. Anyway, I know Jamison brought him up, but why are we even putting Gilbert’s name in the same conversation as Kobe Vino Bryant’s? That’s like comparing the Miami franchise with the Lakers franchise. Like Gilbert, Miami is just a flash in the pan.

11. charlutes - Mar 21, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Like.

12. kiingmilli - Mar 21, 2013 at 8:53 PM

C’mon guys we already knew this is what Kobe does, laker fans didnt want to believe it until Jamison interview, since Kobe said he be jacking up 3’s now do u believe the rest of the world(laker fans). So the next time u get in argument about Kobe not passing, remember all he see is the basket!!!! Lol

13. jason0821 - Mar 21, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Take a listen to the Jamison’s interview with ESPN LA 710

14. omniusprime - Mar 22, 2013 at 9:00 AM

A shame all the Laker players aren’t as focused as Kobe on the rim. Kobe is a great player and deserves the rock whenever he wants it, but he does have to be a team player sharing the ball to keep his teammates into the game. Besides this season it’s a monumental failure of coaching that Kobe has to do too much.

Go Kobe!!! Thanks Dr. Buss, Rest in Peace!!! Fire Dumbtoni!!!

15. flyrocket31 - Mar 22, 2013 at 10:29 AM

16. lakerhank87 - Mar 22, 2013 at 12:10 PM

So many Laker/Kobe Haters its crazy. But I get you guys. I would hate the Lakers too if they broke my teams heart year after year. Especially Kobe. I lost count how many times Kobe has hit jump shot after jump shot and dunk after dunk on your favorite team and team heros. All you guys have on the dude is that B.S. rape charge which you and I all know was just another gold diggin white girl goin after a rich mans money by crying rape. But I get it. All you Laker/Kobe hater fans are boring and old. I see the same damn boring comments about the lakers every night on this site. And before you get your panties in a bunch and start saying why do you read the comments then…I do it because all you guys are comedy. Sniveling like little girls about whos better.

At least me as a Laker fan can acknowledge other teams like The Spurs. I have mad respect for them and have seen a million battles between the Lakers and Spurs with championship aspirations. Even then we broke their hearts plenty of times. But they always came back not afraid with balls and ready for another battle. The truth is the only reason why you guys hate the Lakers so much is not even because of their so call “bandwagon fans” its really because they broke your teams hearts so many countless times and all you guys could ever do is sit there quiet in disbelief and become even more bitter.

All this Bandwagon talk needs to stop already. Everyone who is not a sports fanatic is a bandwagon fan. All those so called heat fans at some point were either a supposed Cavs fan (which before Lebron was unheard of) or even a Celtic fan. Then before that were 76er fans because of Iverson. And now we have all these Lob City Clipper fans. Clipper fans talk to REAL LAKER fans when you guys at least have more banners than the Sparks. Just because you guys have 2 seasons of good basketball you really think that will erase what the Lakers have done since they arrived in L.A. Go back to san diego with that B.S. Lakers go to the playoffs literally almost every year and have gone to the playoffs what like 24 times out of the last 26 years. Yeaaaa peeps talk shet when your teams have those types of accomplishments. Stop all your crying and comparisons because in reality theres no comparison to the Lakers except for the Celtics and even they dont want to have that conversation. You gotta respect a man who is a 5x Finals Champ, 2x Finals MVP, 15xAS, 4xAS MVP, NBA MVP, 2x Scoring Champ, Slam Dunk Champ, and has gone to the finals 7times. Yea Lebron where you at? Durant where you at? Melo where you at?? Wade where you at? Celclits where you at?? And thats saying it with respect because even i Know Lebron and Durant are the shiz.

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches