Mar 21, 2013, 12:52 PM EDT
It goes without saying that when your team is 16-52, and that’s an improvement over the season before, changes need to be made.
Welcome to the world of Charlotte Bobcats fans.
Sitting with a group of season ticket holders in Charlotte Wednesday night, Bobcats owner Michael Jordan said everything would be re-evaluated and changes likely made this off-season, according to Rick Bonnell at the Charlotte Observer (who was not at the meeting but spoke to season ticket holders who were). (Hat tip to SLAM)
During a question-and-answer session, Jordan was asked specifically about the performance of first-year head coach Mike Dunlap… Jordan was non-committal in his assessment of Dunlap. But that’s when he made the general statement that everyone in the organization will be re-evaluated at the end of the season…
(GM Rich) Cho was asked about the perception the 2013 NBA draft won’t be particularly strong. Cho replied the 2014 draft could be very rich, and that the Detroit Pistons owing the Bobcats a future first-round pick, with little protection, could be quite valuable. The Bobcats took on next season on Gordon’s contract, at a cost of about $13 million, to acquire that pick.
The Bobcats told the season-ticket holders no decision has been made on whether a nickname change is appropriate, and are completing research, both with customers and the general public, on the issue.
The problem on the court is the Bobcats need more talent and Cho being asked about the 2013 draft and answering it with a 2014 discussion tells you what you need to know. There are not game changers in this draft. The Bobcats need players who are, and while Michael Kidd-Gilchrist is good he’s a number three or four guy on a really good team.
Which is to say, you can evaluate the basketball side of the Bobcats operation, but they are in position to draft high and go after free agents, which is what they need to do. Being patient is not fun for fans, but that’s where Bobcats fans need to be right now.
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 8
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 43
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 54
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 70
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 10
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 37
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 16