Mar 21, 2013, 1:45 AM EDT
Anthony Davis has had an up and down rookie season. Injuries — an early season concussion and later a sprained ankle — have kept him out of games entirely. When he has been healthy, he’s found himself on the bench in crunch time of close games as head coach Monty Williams has decided to play Robin Lopez over him. As the number one overall pick in this past draft, it’s fair to say that we’ve seen flashes of the player we thought he could be, but we haven’t seen that player consistently.
Against the Celtics, we saw a few more flashes of how good he can be. Davis put up okay numbers — 9 points and 8 rebounds — but did have the play of the game, tipping in the game winner. The Celtics had trouble keeping the Hornets off the glass all night and at the end of the game they again failed to secure a rebound, this time the one that would have won them the game.
With the Hornets trailing by one, they went to Eric Gordon on an isolation to try and create a shot to win the game. Gordon, smartly went a bit early in the clock allowing for a potential put back should his shot not fall. When Gordon’s fading, leaning bank shot caromed off the rim, there was Davis going over the top of Kevin Garnett with the tip-in that sealed the game.
In a season where he’s been up and down, this play offered Davis one of his higher moments.
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 6
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 18
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 14
- Report: Stan Van Gundy tells Josh Smith, barring unexpected trade, forward will start season with Pistons 8
- Mike Krzyzewski would trade Andrew Wiggins for Kevin Love with “not one second of hesitancy” 70
- Mario Chalmers: “I never thought anybody would want to leave Miami for Cleveland” 66
- Las Vegas Summer League review: How did Andrew Wiggins, other lottery picks fare? 14