Doc Rivers blames basketball gods for loss to Hornets

Mar 21, 2013, 3:17 PM EDT

Doc Rivers AP

Anthony Davis’ tip-in with 0.3 seconds left gave the Hornets an 87-86 win over the Celtics last night. You might think the play was a combination of Davis’ length, leaping ability and timing.

According to Boston coach Doc Rivers, you’d be wrong.

He says Davis’ basket was preordained by “the basketball gods,” who didn’t like the Celtics’ dancing, laughing and joking. Rivers, via Mike Petraglia of WEEI:

“We messed the game up [with] our spirit,” Rivers began. “I thought we thought we were going to win the game when we got the lead.

“I told our guys at halftime, you could see it in the middle of the second quarter. We went from being a solid, just good-looking basketball team to ‘Showtime.’ And I believe in the basketball gods. When you mess with the game, the game messes you up. I thought we deserved it, I really did.

“I thought we activated them. I thought they were ready to go. You could just see it. We stopped making passes, we started dancing around, stopped defending, laughing. You could see our guys laughing and joking. I told our coaches, I said, ‘the basketball gods will get us tonight at some point.’ And unfortunately, it did. So, I thought we deserve everything we got.

“We don’t learn because we’ve done this three or four times this year and we just don’t learn. It’s disappointing.”

Rivers has won an NBA championship. He has guided teams to playoff-series wins in each of the last five years. He has an aged and injured outfit possibly positioned to extend the streak to six. When it comes to basketball, Rivers undoubtedly knows his stuff.

So, sorry Anthony Davis. Credit for your game-winner has been removed from you and transferred to the basketball gods.

1. progress2011 - Mar 21, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Refreshing to hear blunt honesty.

2. mycm1127 - Mar 21, 2013 at 3:40 PM

So did the ” basketball gods” get them too when the Hornets beat them in Boston earlier this year? Tell Kevin Garnett to block out next time.

3. rodge1 - Mar 21, 2013 at 3:59 PM

If by ‘basketball gods’ he means lack-of-discipline then I agree with him.

4. pantsfreezone - Mar 21, 2013 at 6:32 PM

I did not know that Doc Rivers referred to Jordan Crawford and Jason Terry as “Basketball gods”.

5. badintent - Mar 22, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Doc is a spin master , too bad he has to coach a team almost as old as the Knicks.Better Hope Jeff Green goes monster the rest of the season , or it’s one and done in the playoffs.

6. scalfor3 - Mar 22, 2013 at 3:27 PM

talk about a misleading headline. he puts the blame squarely on his players, 100%

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches