Mar 21, 2013, 3:17 PM EST
Anthony Davis’ tip-in with 0.3 seconds left gave the Hornets an 87-86 win over the Celtics last night. You might think the play was a combination of Davis’ length, leaping ability and timing.
According to Boston coach Doc Rivers, you’d be wrong.
He says Davis’ basket was preordained by “the basketball gods,” who didn’t like the Celtics’ dancing, laughing and joking. Rivers, via Mike Petraglia of WEEI:
“We messed the game up [with] our spirit,” Rivers began. “I thought we thought we were going to win the game when we got the lead.
“I told our guys at halftime, you could see it in the middle of the second quarter. We went from being a solid, just good-looking basketball team to ‘Showtime.’ And I believe in the basketball gods. When you mess with the game, the game messes you up. I thought we deserved it, I really did.
“I thought we activated them. I thought they were ready to go. You could just see it. We stopped making passes, we started dancing around, stopped defending, laughing. You could see our guys laughing and joking. I told our coaches, I said, ‘the basketball gods will get us tonight at some point.’ And unfortunately, it did. So, I thought we deserve everything we got.
“We don’t learn because we’ve done this three or four times this year and we just don’t learn. It’s disappointing.”
Rivers has won an NBA championship. He has guided teams to playoff-series wins in each of the last five years. He has an aged and injured outfit possibly positioned to extend the streak to six. When it comes to basketball, Rivers undoubtedly knows his stuff.
So, sorry Anthony Davis. Credit for your game-winner has been removed from you and transferred to the basketball gods.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 3
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 22
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 9
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18