Mar 21, 2013, 3:17 PM EDT
Anthony Davis’ tip-in with 0.3 seconds left gave the Hornets an 87-86 win over the Celtics last night. You might think the play was a combination of Davis’ length, leaping ability and timing.
According to Boston coach Doc Rivers, you’d be wrong.
He says Davis’ basket was preordained by “the basketball gods,” who didn’t like the Celtics’ dancing, laughing and joking. Rivers, via Mike Petraglia of WEEI:
“We messed the game up [with] our spirit,” Rivers began. “I thought we thought we were going to win the game when we got the lead.
“I told our guys at halftime, you could see it in the middle of the second quarter. We went from being a solid, just good-looking basketball team to ‘Showtime.’ And I believe in the basketball gods. When you mess with the game, the game messes you up. I thought we deserved it, I really did.
“I thought we activated them. I thought they were ready to go. You could just see it. We stopped making passes, we started dancing around, stopped defending, laughing. You could see our guys laughing and joking. I told our coaches, I said, ‘the basketball gods will get us tonight at some point.’ And unfortunately, it did. So, I thought we deserve everything we got.
“We don’t learn because we’ve done this three or four times this year and we just don’t learn. It’s disappointing.”
Rivers has won an NBA championship. He has guided teams to playoff-series wins in each of the last five years. He has an aged and injured outfit possibly positioned to extend the streak to six. When it comes to basketball, Rivers undoubtedly knows his stuff.
So, sorry Anthony Davis. Credit for your game-winner has been removed from you and transferred to the basketball gods.
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 0
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 16
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1
- PBT Extra: Injuries make Grizzlies, Trail Blazers series hard to predict 3
- PBT Extra: Will Spurs depth, versatility prove too much for Clippers? 13
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis, Pelicans made playoffs. Will they get a fifth game vs. Warriors? 6
- Rumor: LaMarcus Aldridge more likely to leave Trail Blazers in free agency than people realize 24
- PBT First-Round Playoff Previews: Chicago Bulls vs. Milwaukee Bucks 8