Mar 21, 2013, 3:17 PM EDT
Anthony Davis’ tip-in with 0.3 seconds left gave the Hornets an 87-86 win over the Celtics last night. You might think the play was a combination of Davis’ length, leaping ability and timing.
According to Boston coach Doc Rivers, you’d be wrong.
He says Davis’ basket was preordained by “the basketball gods,” who didn’t like the Celtics’ dancing, laughing and joking. Rivers, via Mike Petraglia of WEEI:
“We messed the game up [with] our spirit,” Rivers began. “I thought we thought we were going to win the game when we got the lead.
“I told our guys at halftime, you could see it in the middle of the second quarter. We went from being a solid, just good-looking basketball team to ‘Showtime.’ And I believe in the basketball gods. When you mess with the game, the game messes you up. I thought we deserved it, I really did.
“I thought we activated them. I thought they were ready to go. You could just see it. We stopped making passes, we started dancing around, stopped defending, laughing. You could see our guys laughing and joking. I told our coaches, I said, ‘the basketball gods will get us tonight at some point.’ And unfortunately, it did. So, I thought we deserve everything we got.
“We don’t learn because we’ve done this three or four times this year and we just don’t learn. It’s disappointing.”
Rivers has won an NBA championship. He has guided teams to playoff-series wins in each of the last five years. He has an aged and injured outfit possibly positioned to extend the streak to six. When it comes to basketball, Rivers undoubtedly knows his stuff.
So, sorry Anthony Davis. Credit for your game-winner has been removed from you and transferred to the basketball gods.
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 12
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 32
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 22
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 22
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 8
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 47
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 65
- LeBron announces he’ll wear No. 23 with Cavaliers 64