Mar 21, 2013, 1:19 PM EDT
That’s 37-year-old Mikes James, who hasn’t averaged nine points per game in the last six years. Nowitzki has averaged more than 16 points per game in each of the last 14 years.
But Nowitzki has been deferring lately to teammates like James.
In his last three games, Nowitzki has taken 10, 11 and 10 shots. He hasn’t played so many minutes (100) in a three-game stretch while taking so few shots since 2000.
Nowitzki isn’t shooting poorly, either, going 8-of-10, 7-of-11 and 8-of-10.
So, what’s the deal? Nowitzki, via Brad Townsend of The Dallas Morning News:
“They don’t leave me much anymore,” Nowitzki said of opponents. “Then it’s up to the guys to make plays. It’s as simple as that. I can’t wrestle every time getting the ball. You can’t do that for 48 minutes. I’ve got to pick my spots.
“I’m going to keep picking my spots and be aggressive when I need to.”
The Mavericks are 3.5 games out of the playoffs with 14 games left. If there were a time they need Nowitzki to be aggressive, it’s now – unless they’re over this season and content to add a lottery pick and use their cap space this summer.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 5
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 11
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Rockets’ Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban: If you care about chemistry, why break up a title team? 36