Mar 21, 2013, 1:19 PM EST
That’s 37-year-old Mikes James, who hasn’t averaged nine points per game in the last six years. Nowitzki has averaged more than 16 points per game in each of the last 14 years.
But Nowitzki has been deferring lately to teammates like James.
In his last three games, Nowitzki has taken 10, 11 and 10 shots. He hasn’t played so many minutes (100) in a three-game stretch while taking so few shots since 2000.
Nowitzki isn’t shooting poorly, either, going 8-of-10, 7-of-11 and 8-of-10.
So, what’s the deal? Nowitzki, via Brad Townsend of The Dallas Morning News:
“They don’t leave me much anymore,” Nowitzki said of opponents. “Then it’s up to the guys to make plays. It’s as simple as that. I can’t wrestle every time getting the ball. You can’t do that for 48 minutes. I’ve got to pick my spots.
“I’m going to keep picking my spots and be aggressive when I need to.”
The Mavericks are 3.5 games out of the playoffs with 14 games left. If there were a time they need Nowitzki to be aggressive, it’s now – unless they’re over this season and content to add a lottery pick and use their cap space this summer.
- LeBron James: “We’re a very fragile team right now” 44
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 3
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 12
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11
- Kobe Bryant says he took large enough discount for Lakers to contend 55
- Report: Jeff Taylor won’t appeal 24-game suspension 2
- Timberwolves’ Kevin Martin out indefinitely after scoring 31 points with fractured wrist 8