Mar 21, 2013, 1:19 PM EDT
That’s 37-year-old Mikes James, who hasn’t averaged nine points per game in the last six years. Nowitzki has averaged more than 16 points per game in each of the last 14 years.
But Nowitzki has been deferring lately to teammates like James.
In his last three games, Nowitzki has taken 10, 11 and 10 shots. He hasn’t played so many minutes (100) in a three-game stretch while taking so few shots since 2000.
Nowitzki isn’t shooting poorly, either, going 8-of-10, 7-of-11 and 8-of-10.
So, what’s the deal? Nowitzki, via Brad Townsend of The Dallas Morning News:
“They don’t leave me much anymore,” Nowitzki said of opponents. “Then it’s up to the guys to make plays. It’s as simple as that. I can’t wrestle every time getting the ball. You can’t do that for 48 minutes. I’ve got to pick my spots.
“I’m going to keep picking my spots and be aggressive when I need to.”
The Mavericks are 3.5 games out of the playoffs with 14 games left. If there were a time they need Nowitzki to be aggressive, it’s now – unless they’re over this season and content to add a lottery pick and use their cap space this summer.
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 28
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 7
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 18