Dirk Nowitzki’s lack of shots becoming extreme

Mar 21, 2013, 1:19 PM EST

Mavericks' Nowitzki reacts after Thunder's Sefolosha hit a basket to give the Thunder a four point lead in the the second half of their NBA basketball game in Dallas

Mike James has taken more shots than Dirk Nowitzki in two of the Dallas Mavericks’ last three games, both losses.

That’s 37-year-old Mikes James, who hasn’t averaged nine points per game in the last six years. Nowitzki has averaged more than 16 points per game in each of the last 14 years.

But Nowitzki has been deferring lately to teammates like James.

In his last three games, Nowitzki has taken 10, 11 and 10 shots. He hasn’t played so many minutes (100) in a three-game stretch while taking so few shots since 2000.

Nowitzki isn’t shooting poorly, either, going 8-of-10, 7-of-11 and 8-of-10.

So, what’s the deal? Nowitzki, via Brad Townsend of The Dallas Morning News:

“They don’t leave me much anymore,” Nowitzki said of opponents. “Then it’s up to the guys to make plays. It’s as simple as that. I can’t wrestle every time getting the ball. You can’t do that for 48 minutes. I’ve got to pick my spots.

“I’m going to keep picking my spots and be aggressive when I need to.”

The Mavericks are 3.5 games out of the playoffs with 14 games left. If there were a time they need Nowitzki to be aggressive, it’s now – unless they’re over this season and content to add a lottery pick and use their cap space this summer.

1. lakerluver - Mar 21, 2013 at 2:02 PM

And Cubes said Dirk could be elite for another three years?! We may be witnessing one of the greatest power forwards ever getting old right before or very eyes. I just didn’t think it would come so suddenly.

• michaeljordanseviltwin - Mar 21, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Injury. That’s how it often happens so quickly. Old guy gets hurt and comes back to a team with very little talent… but he’s not able to carry them anymore.

• therealroman - Mar 21, 2013 at 2:19 PM

that’s hilarious – you expect a 7 foot, 34 year old guy coming back from the longest and most complex injury in his career to instantly carry his team, with the best player around him being a decent Shooting Guard who maybe gets you 20 points a night? Goddamn y’all really know a lot about this sports thing dont cha

• michaeljordanseviltwin - Mar 22, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Isn’t that exactly what I just said?

2. michaeljordanseviltwin - Mar 21, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Please… getting off shots is a talent in the NBA. It has nothing to do with who’s covering you if you’re a superstar. Dirk’s talent is fading.

• mytthor - Mar 22, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Getting off shots has nothing to do with who’s covering you? Brilliant.

• michaeljordanseviltwin - Mar 22, 2013 at 2:05 PM

You just dropped the context… so obviously you’re quite brilliant yourself. I said getting off shots has nothing to with who’s covering you IF YOU’RE A SUPERSTAR

• mytthor - Mar 23, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Ah yes, as long as you’re a superstar, defense doesn’t exist. Solid point. My mistake.

3. therealroman - Mar 21, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Guys, seriously, look at his team…this guys seriously needs some help + more shots!!

4. xLith - Mar 21, 2013 at 5:10 PM

I hate Dallas but I respect Dirk. I also agree with him. Dallas sucks this year. Which is a good thing for the Rockets.

5. xmos1234 - Mar 21, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Same I agree

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches