Derrick Rose on his return date: “Nobody knows but God”

Mar 21, 2013, 3:33 PM EDT

Derrick Rose AP

Another day, another Derrick Rose update that is basically no update.

Rose is “highly unlikely” to play Thursday night against Portland, coach Tom Thibodeau said after shootaround. Which is the nice way of saying “You’d have a better shot hitting on Kate Upton.”

Then Rose spoke to the media, speaking openly for five minutes, and our friend Aggrey San of CSNChicago.com was there.

“Still taking my time,” he responded to the first question, about how he felt physically. “Still trying to be patient, listen to my body and just be patient right now….

“It could be tomorrow and I could feel like I could play the next game,” he said. “Nobody knows but God.”

So, we should ask Pope Francis?

Does the regular season winding down put pressure on him?

“Not at all. I feel like when I’m ready to come back, I’ll be ready, no matter when it is. I don’t care. Whenever I’m ready, I’ll be out there,” Rose said. “[I wants to return] bad, but knowing that my health is the biggest key, where I’m only 24 years old, got the whole future in front of me, so just trying to take my time….

“[My knee is] still about the same, where when you warm up a little bit it gets loose, then the activity picks up and it gets back sore, so just playing through that,” Rose explained. “Sometimes you kind of think a little bit when I’m out there and that’s how I know when I’ll be ready to play. When I’m not out there thinking; I’ll just be reacting.

“[My explosiveness is] coming. I’m not panicking or anything. If anything, I think I’m going to be a better player. I’m just taking my time, like I said. I’m just being patient, doing all the right things, eating right and getting rest,” he went on to say. “I haven’t done my vertical—I think I lost some height in my vertical last year—so jumping-wise, I shouldn’t have to worry about that.”

Rose is doing the right thing. Being patient as a fan sucks, but when you have a 24-year-old MVP it’s about the next five years, not this one. I still think he’s going to play this season, and into the playoffs. But we shouldn’t expect too much right out of the gate.

Right now, we just have to wait. It seems even Rose doesn’t know when he’ll be comfortable and ready to return.

Latest Posts
  1. Enes Kanter soaks up Jazz fans’ boos, but Thunder lose

Mar 29, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT

Oklahoma City Thunder v Utah Jazz Oklahoma City Thunder v Utah Jazz

Kanter found a way to motivate the Jazz in the dog days of the season, and the Thunder lost in part because of it.

2. Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion

Mar 29, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

“You don’t have to be best friends to come out here and work together.”

3. Golden State picks up 60th win, clinches top seed in the West

Mar 29, 2015, 12:26 AM EDT

Steve Kerr, Stephen Curry AP

The Golden State Warriors are the team to beat out West.

4. NBA, Pacers issue statement in response to Indiana’s Religious Freedom Restoration Act law

Mar 28, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT

Adam Silver AP

Legislation was signed into law in Indiana last week, and has been criticized as one that could legalize discrimination.

5. Hawks to rest all five starters Saturday after clinching East’s top seed

Mar 28, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT

Atlanta Hawks Media Day Getty Images

Hornets, still fighting for a playoff spot, catch a break.

6. Stan Van Gundy: ‘Absolutely no chance’ Magic induct him into team Hall of Fame

Mar 28, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT

Stan Van Gundy Stan Van Gundy

Van Gundy coached five seasons in Orlando, but was fired after the way the Dwight Howard debacle played out.

7. Warriors coach Steve Kerr: ‘I would vote for Russell Westbrook’ for MVP

Mar 28, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT

Golden State Warriors v Denver Nuggets Getty Images

Kerr was joking, and making light of a mini-controversy that occurred recently with the Cavaliers.

8. Earl Clark signs 10-day contract with Nets, contributes to win over Cavaliers

Mar 28, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v Brooklyn Nets Getty Images

Clark played key bench minutes the same day he was signed.

9. Stephen Curry scores 38 in Warriors’ blowout win over Grizzlies (VIDEO)

Mar 28, 2015, 9:45 AM EDT

Stephen Curry AP

Warriors keep rolling, while the Grizzlies are starting to feel like a first round loss.

10. Kevin Love finds LeBron James for huge alley-oop slam (VIDEO)

Mar 28, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT

LeBron James AP

Highlight-reel play came near the end of a loss to the Nets.

11. LeBron after Cavaliers fall to Nets: ‘You don’t chalk up losses’

Mar 27, 2015, 11:44 PM EDT

LeBron James AP

LeBron refused to be dismissive of a seemingly harmless regular season loss.

12. Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers

Mar 27, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT

Orlando Magic add Shaquille O'Neal to team's Hall of Fame Getty Images

O’Neal made the remarks while being inducted into the Orlando Magic Hall of Fame.

Where does Steve Nash rank all-time?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches