Derrick Rose on his return date: “Nobody knows but God”

Mar 21, 2013, 3:33 PM EDT

Derrick Rose AP

Another day, another Derrick Rose update that is basically no update.

Rose is “highly unlikely” to play Thursday night against Portland, coach Tom Thibodeau said after shootaround. Which is the nice way of saying “You’d have a better shot hitting on Kate Upton.”

Then Rose spoke to the media, speaking openly for five minutes, and our friend Aggrey San of CSNChicago.com was there.

“Still taking my time,” he responded to the first question, about how he felt physically. “Still trying to be patient, listen to my body and just be patient right now….

“It could be tomorrow and I could feel like I could play the next game,” he said. “Nobody knows but God.”

So, we should ask Pope Francis?

Does the regular season winding down put pressure on him?

“Not at all. I feel like when I’m ready to come back, I’ll be ready, no matter when it is. I don’t care. Whenever I’m ready, I’ll be out there,” Rose said. “[I wants to return] bad, but knowing that my health is the biggest key, where I’m only 24 years old, got the whole future in front of me, so just trying to take my time….

“[My knee is] still about the same, where when you warm up a little bit it gets loose, then the activity picks up and it gets back sore, so just playing through that,” Rose explained. “Sometimes you kind of think a little bit when I’m out there and that’s how I know when I’ll be ready to play. When I’m not out there thinking; I’ll just be reacting.

“[My explosiveness is] coming. I’m not panicking or anything. If anything, I think I’m going to be a better player. I’m just taking my time, like I said. I’m just being patient, doing all the right things, eating right and getting rest,” he went on to say. “I haven’t done my vertical—I think I lost some height in my vertical last year—so jumping-wise, I shouldn’t have to worry about that.”

Rose is doing the right thing. Being patient as a fan sucks, but when you have a 24-year-old MVP it’s about the next five years, not this one. I still think he’s going to play this season, and into the playoffs. But we shouldn’t expect too much right out of the gate.

Right now, we just have to wait. It seems even Rose doesn’t know when he’ll be comfortable and ready to return.

1. 808raiderinparadise - Mar 21, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Rose, just shut up already.

Such an imposter “star” player.

Even if he was healthy he would go 8 for 27 everygame like he always did. Jackin up shots.

Is that adidas comeback commercial still airing? ….

exactly lol the hot dog vendor guy is still in slow motion waiting for his return.

• doctordunkenstein - Mar 21, 2013 at 4:04 PM

it’s a good thing he’s so humble

• stayhigh_247 - Mar 21, 2013 at 4:18 PM

dude, you’re hating for the sake of hating. You dont know his body better than him do you? you know what, you’re right he shouldn’t follow his own mind, he should listen to you because you came back in like 2 months when your acl tore, right?

• 808raiderinparadise - Mar 21, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Nothing about the “comeback” its more about the way he talks about it.

very unprofessional, always up and down flirting with the fans, media, no he shouldn’t listen to me, i never said he should come back anyways? did i? nice try. he should sit out, and declare just that.

He can ask god about the chances of beating the heat … 0%

I understand injury, but that doesn’t excuse his antics for that city and team, coaches, fans ….

he can go cry about his shoe contract.

• chicitybulls - Mar 21, 2013 at 4:59 PM

The fans, city or coaches are not complaining. It’s only dumbasses like you. You’re not even a fan so why do you care? He’ll come back when he’s ready and we’re ok with that.

• jhuck92 - Mar 21, 2013 at 8:03 PM

if you’re going to spout blind hate about him, it should be when he abandons his original team during a tv special on ESPN.

2. jimeejohnson - Mar 21, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Rose just lost all his atheist fans.

• hookem6903 - Mar 21, 2013 at 7:20 PM

I’m an atheist, I’m still a fan.

• akmgiants - Mar 21, 2013 at 10:06 PM

he lost me

3. redbearwoodall - Mar 21, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Better shot of hitting on Kate Upton? Why don’t you ask that high school kid who’s been in the news for asking her to prom?

• chicitybulls - Mar 21, 2013 at 5:00 PM

He always uses Kate Upton. Like she’s the best looking woman out there. He could use Sanaa Lathan or Paula Patton but I would guess he’s not attracted to them. Cultural difference.

• eugenesaxe - Mar 21, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Maybe because more people know who Kate Upton is?
        Maybe. Probably. Yes.

• nygiantstones - Mar 21, 2013 at 8:17 PM

mmmmm not bad at all.

Yowza! Giddy up on that!

• jerze2387 - Mar 22, 2013 at 1:42 AM

have u seen the SI cover? sanaa lathan and paula patton are more my type, but kate upton has 2 VERY big reasons to be a good choice…

• chicitybulls - Mar 22, 2013 at 10:57 AM

@jerze – dont get me wrong. Kate is nice and sexy but that’s ALWAYS who he goes to. His ace in the hole. Just asking for a little more variety, dawg.

4. dannymac17 - Mar 21, 2013 at 5:02 PM

anyway we can get God on the phone?

• money2long - Mar 21, 2013 at 5:39 PM

what’s your long distance plan lookin like

• nygiantstones - Mar 21, 2013 at 8:15 PM

I don’t think he has the roaming capability.

• akmgiants - Mar 21, 2013 at 10:07 PM

does your mobile plan include hallucinations?

5. steelers4385 - Mar 21, 2013 at 5:35 PM

What a b*tch

6. steelers4385 - Mar 21, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Such a little whiner

7. kb2408 - Mar 21, 2013 at 5:50 PM

@chicity
    I’m with you, Sanaa is definitely finer than Kate….Anyway, D.Rose should take as long as he needs. I’m not a Bulls fan but if I were, he would be the last player I would question. Rose plays his heart out every game. I agree he should stop commenting, though. But what more can he say when he’s asked the question? I suppose he could be an a$$ hole like other players have been. But I just don’t think It’s in his character to be that way. He’s trying to be respectful and answer the question.

• pudgalvin - Mar 21, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Not to mention that I believe this is the third interview he’s done now in 10 months. Such a talker!

Does no one remember last year when he tried to play through toe, back, hamstring, ankle and groin injuries, only to hurt himself more each time he came back? I know you guys are all doctors, but I’m going to take the word of the guy who actually tore his acl.

• chicitybulls - Mar 22, 2013 at 11:04 AM

I just dont know why some of these people have a problem with him. He’s not an a**hole. He’s not making waves or trying to make everything about him. He gets asked a question and he answers it. I dont even think these people know why they have a problem with him. Some people just like to complain just to complain. Sad little people. I’m glad he’s not listening to people like that. He knows his body and what he’s feeling and he’ll come back when his body and mind is ready. And some people are complaining there’s too many stories about him. I mean he’s a superstar in this league. The youngest MVP in the history of the league. Team USA starter (when healthy). It’s not like he’s some role player. He’s one of the top 5-7 players in the league when healthy. But again, some people complain to complain and are just negative by nature.

8. vilelabyrinth - Mar 21, 2013 at 6:17 PM

cute, god..lol

9. eugenesaxe - Mar 21, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Pointless for him to try now, no way he’d be “back enough” to help Chicago mount a serious threat.

10. lucifershuttlesworth - Mar 21, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Okay so first we have to determine if God exists and if so, contact him and get an opinion on D-Rose’s ACL? Can’t wait for the commercial that diagrams this part of The Comeback.

11. mcnannal - Mar 21, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Reblogged this on The Return of Derrick Rose and commented:
    Not even Rose himself knows when he will return.

12. habswoman - Mar 22, 2013 at 1:33 AM

Only god knows haha. Suck it up and take some responsibility instead of putting it on some cause idol.

13. edwardemanuelson - Mar 22, 2013 at 7:22 AM

Pretty obvious this guy doesn’t want to play this year.

14. ocgunslinger - Mar 22, 2013 at 8:10 AM

Really hate to say it but it seems as if he has been listening or talking to Bynum.

15. chicago240 - Mar 22, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Well if he’s gonna bring up the God thing, then I’m thinking the March 31 home game against Detroit might work….Easter Sunday. Rose will Rise.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches