Mar 20, 2013, 6:38 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points more than Batman likes high-tech gadgets….
• Former NBA player, coach and GM Kiki Vandeweghe is joining the NBA league office in the role of Vice President, Basketball Operations. What does that vague title mean? According to the official release “VanDeWeghe will be involved in a broad range of basketball matters, including the development of playing rules and interpretations; game analytics; disciplinary matters; and policies and procedures relating to the operation of NBA games. He will also serve as a key interface between the league and the teams, drawing upon his years of experience as a general manager and coach.” So, that should clear everything up.
• When you hear someone say an NBA prospect “wants to test the draft waters” you should know that he can’t — the NCAA has put in place some self-serving rules that forces students thinking about going pro to make a decision before they have all the information they should. Remember that as you watch the tournament and hear the NCAA say they are about helping the student athletes.
• From Zach Lowe at Grantland, here is a fantastic look, with some video, into how the Toronto Raptors are using the latest in high-tech, advanced stats camera equipment installed at their arena.
• One Sixers fan didn’t think his Allen Iverson tattoo was enough, so he has added a young Wilt Chamberlain tat as well.
• In a shortsighted move, the Brooklyn Nets have shut down their occasionally sarcastic team twitter feed to go with a more vanilla team speak approach. I will miss tweets like this:
• Michael Jordan’s new fiancée will sign a pre-nup. You think she really expected otherwise?.
• As expected, the Clippers re-signed Maalik Wayns to a second 10-day contract.
• On the other hand, the Jazz let Travis Leslie‘s 10-day contract expire.
• Great job by the blog Blazers Edge to get reads to buy/donate seats that will be given to young, needy students in the Portland area for a game.
• Chris Webber using the telestrator to break down “ice cream guy” from the Pacers/Magic game Tuesday was the best part of Fan Night on NBA TV.
- Harden’s 17 fourth quarter points spark Rockets’ comeback win (VIDEO) 0
- Bulls beat Heat, show why nobody wants to face them in playoffs 44
- Former GM: Carmelo Anthony leaving in free agency would be ‘doing Knicks a favor’ 25
- Report: Cavaliers privately believe it’s not too late to lure LeBron back to Cleveland 20
- Report: Phil Jackson ‘leaning toward’ accepting offer to become Knicks president 43