Royce White says he thinks Stern, NBA GMs want him gone

Mar 20, 2013, 2:04 PM EDT

Royce White AP

Royce White is playing in the D-League now, playing his way into game shape and starting to look better in recent games, according to reports. He is averaging 9.6 points on 41.6 percent shooting plus 5.6 rebounds a game. Not exactly numbers that scream he needs to be called up to the Rockets right now.

But he keeps on saying things that likely don’t help his cause with the team, either. He feels the league does not really want to accommodate him and his mental illness issues (he has an anxiety disorder, negotiations over how to deal with that in a team setting kept him away from the Rockets starting in training camp and through most of the season).

Here is what he told the Huffington Post.

If I was to make an educated guess, I would guess that Adam Silver and David Stern and the Rockets organization, some other owners in the league, GMs, want me gone. And why do they want me gone? Because business is about convenience, not about doing what’s necessary. It’s about cutting overhead… And a lot of times, what’s best for us as human beings doesn’t meet that criteria for business people.

White’s concern about the workplace echoes a national discussion about the issue, about the impact of corporate profits and efficiency on the lives of workers.

But here’s the thing about the NBA (and a lot of other businesses) — if you can produce, everyone will find a way to make it work, you can get what you want. You think Dennis Rodman or Metta World Peace or a whole long list of other NBA players were easy for teams to deal with? That they were and are convenient? No. But they provide a lot of value on the court so teams adapt.

If Royce White can play well enough the Rockets and other teams will work hard to accommodate him. Right now, he’s putting up pedestrian numbers in the D-League, and while apparently there are flashes of good play he’s got a ways to go. In he end it’s on White to get his game where it needs to be, to live up to that potential, and if he does he’ll have leverage to change other things.

1. shockexchange - Mar 20, 2013 at 2:08 PM

The Shock Exchange wants Royce White gone … he gets more press interviews than buckets.

2. kingbeason52 - Mar 20, 2013 at 2:15 PM

This guy is delusional..Stern and GMs have bigger things to worry about..

• frankiebooboo - Mar 20, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Hey. Just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean people aren’t out to get you.

3. eventhorizon04 - Mar 20, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Publicly expressing paranoia isn’t going to help his cause. At all.

• bougin89 - Mar 20, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Exactly what I thought. Alienating himself from the league and NBA GM’s is the last thing that will make them accommodate special needs.

4. pacific123ocean - Mar 20, 2013 at 2:18 PM

This young man just needs to keep his mouth shut and work his ass off! Somebody close to him needs to tell him to decline all interview requests, and delete his twitter account….and use his time to work on his game.

5. n2thaizzo - Mar 20, 2013 at 2:36 PM

If the guy “can’t” travel, here’s what you do. Put in his contract, that he’ll get docked a games pay for every road game that he doesn’t travel to. I would imagine that would be a fair stipulation. You can’t play, you can’t get paid.

• gmsalpha - Mar 20, 2013 at 3:28 PM

That would be fair, except the chemistry of the team will be affected. There could be one lineup for games at San Antonio, OKC, Dallas, New Orleans, Memphis, Denver, etc. And another lineup completely against Boston, Miami, Sacramento, New York, and Los Angeles.

This guy has worn out his welcome. Any sympathy he had coming out of college is gone, or is on life support. Royce needs to shut up and play. Let everything else work itself out, but he’s not long for the league, I can pretty much assure you of that.

6. gza385 - Mar 20, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Maybe they don’t “want him gone”, but what reason do they have to keep him? Judging by his play in the D-league, he’s not really worth bending over backwards for.

7. metalhead65 - Mar 20, 2013 at 2:46 PM

sick of reading about this nut job. he gives crazy people a bad name. if you can’t handle one of the key requirements of your job then maybe it is time to find another job instead blaming everybody else for your problems. why should you get paid for only being able to do half of your job? your job requires you travel and if you can’t do it then you should not get paid end of story.

8. professormaddog31 - Mar 20, 2013 at 3:01 PM

I have an anxiety disorder and yet I am not constantly out there blaming everyone for my shortcomings. Royce White knows what consists of his obligation to the NBA. He knows what that life is like. He chose to make himself available for the draft. And he wants it his way and only his way.

I’m sorry, Mr. White. I have no sympathy for you now. I did at the beginning but you have squandered your good will with these increasingly bizarre claims of collusion by the Rockets and Stern to keep mentally ill people out of the NBA.

9. timb12 - Mar 20, 2013 at 3:15 PM

I bet now they want him gone lol.

10. cosanostra71 - Mar 20, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Royce White, always the victim.

11. patfic15 - Mar 20, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Go away Royce.

12. latchbeam - Mar 20, 2013 at 3:53 PM

I feel bad for the guy, but he needs to shut his mouth!?

13. pashton2 - Mar 20, 2013 at 3:54 PM

You can never win an argument with a crazy person. Trying to fit these type of rantings inside of the logical framework in which the rest of the world operates is not possible … which is why Royce is mentally ill in the first place. It is now time for the Rockets and the NBA to pray for him, support him in a charitable fashion, but not rely on him in a business setting.

14. jcmeyer10 - Mar 20, 2013 at 4:18 PM

If he want’s to be a martyr, he’s doing a fantastic job.

15. eugenesaxe - Mar 20, 2013 at 4:23 PM

I stopped caring about this bum long ago. He just wants to whine, not improve himself.

16. dko83 - Mar 20, 2013 at 4:44 PM

He has definitely been treating his anxiety with the sticky stuff.. They don’t want you gone, they don’t care, there aren’t cops outside your window… So tired of this guy.

17. urodaddy07 - Mar 20, 2013 at 5:09 PM

This guy thinks he’s important enough for people to actually give him more than a pasding thought, he really needs help

18. louhudson23 - Mar 20, 2013 at 5:46 PM

I wish this young man the best of luck in conquering his illness. However,if he can’t play,then he can’t play,just like a few billion other people around the world. I think he will find himself unable to perform at the majority of occupations and endeavors to be found,and for the same variety of reasons as the rest of us. We lack the ability,brains ,talent or desire to perform a particular job. He will also find no shortage of things that he excels at by displaying the ability,brains ,talent or desire called for ,just like the rest of us…….but it looks as though being an NBA player is one of the former and not the latter ….and that is neither his nor his employers fault…just reality…deal with it,conquer it or get on with it….kwitcherbitchin….

19. cbking05 - Mar 20, 2013 at 6:15 PM

I think this is a situation that should be handled between employer and employee….but at the same time, maybe Royce’s objective is to bring light to this disorder for the public to be aware. And if this is the case, of course many of you are going to say for Royce to go away or shut up. I’m kinda intrigued on how this is going to turn out. I didnt give two sh*ts about Royce’s disorder at first (I didn’t realize severity of it and stiull don’t), but now I believe Royce may be fighting for a cause and not a paycheck.

20. mp4philly - Mar 20, 2013 at 6:42 PM

I want him to go away. Seems like he’s just setting the tone for a law suit once he’s cut. No team will sign him and he’ll accuse the league of collusion.

21. nygrwy - Mar 20, 2013 at 11:36 PM

I am torn. I did think the same way everyone in the above posts did but then I saw his HBO special on the sports show. I have to say the guy made some good points.

All in all I just dont think his disease fits in with the day to day activities in the NBA

22. e39er - Mar 21, 2013 at 12:25 AM

I had high expectations for him…a athletic forward with point guard handles but he is a head case and that is what will limit his game

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches