Mar 20, 2013, 2:04 PM EST
Royce White is playing in the D-League now, playing his way into game shape and starting to look better in recent games, according to reports. He is averaging 9.6 points on 41.6 percent shooting plus 5.6 rebounds a game. Not exactly numbers that scream he needs to be called up to the Rockets right now.
But he keeps on saying things that likely don’t help his cause with the team, either. He feels the league does not really want to accommodate him and his mental illness issues (he has an anxiety disorder, negotiations over how to deal with that in a team setting kept him away from the Rockets starting in training camp and through most of the season).
If I was to make an educated guess, I would guess that Adam Silver and David Stern and the Rockets organization, some other owners in the league, GMs, want me gone. And why do they want me gone? Because business is about convenience, not about doing what’s necessary. It’s about cutting overhead… And a lot of times, what’s best for us as human beings doesn’t meet that criteria for business people.
White’s concern about the workplace echoes a national discussion about the issue, about the impact of corporate profits and efficiency on the lives of workers.
But here’s the thing about the NBA (and a lot of other businesses) — if you can produce, everyone will find a way to make it work, you can get what you want. You think Dennis Rodman or Metta World Peace or a whole long list of other NBA players were easy for teams to deal with? That they were and are convenient? No. But they provide a lot of value on the court so teams adapt.
If Royce White can play well enough the Rockets and other teams will work hard to accommodate him. Right now, he’s putting up pedestrian numbers in the D-League, and while apparently there are flashes of good play he’s got a ways to go. In he end it’s on White to get his game where it needs to be, to live up to that potential, and if he does he’ll have leverage to change other things.
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 5
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 19
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 60
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8