Mar 20, 2013, 5:19 PM EDT
Friday night, the Lakers may finally have a full healthy roster.
Kobe Bryant is expected to play following his ankle sprain and now it looks like Pau Gasol will be back from his foot injury. Coach Mike D’Antoni said as much after practice Wednesday which means the entire core of the team should be able to go Friday night when the Lakers take on the Wizards. Kevin Ding at the Orange County Register has the details.
At the time D’Antoni was speaking, Gasol was playing in a full-court 4-on-4 scrimmage that marked the first time he extended himself beyond halfcourt play in his recovery from a torn plantar fascia. Gasol is waiting to see how the foot feels after being pushed to that level — and whether he feels OK about moving up to full-court 5-on-5 Thursday — before deciding whether he plays Friday.
The Lakers’ next game after that is Monday at Golden State, beginning a four-game trip that goes on to Minnesota, Milwaukee and Sacramento. It appears that trip will be the truest test so far of where the Lakers are at full strength (aside from Jordan Hill, likely out of the season after hip surgery).
We really haven’t seen what the expected starting five of the Lakers — Steve Nash, Kobe, Metta World Peace, Gasol and Dwight Howard — can do. Well, they are 0-5 but with the early season turmoil of injuries and a radical coach and system change, there was no chance to get a read. Certainly they are talented, but how they work together remains to be seen.
All this should let Mike D’Antoni expand his rotation beyond eight players. Then the Lakers are have to both make the playoffs and build up as much chemistry and momentum as they can because their first round test is going to be very difficult, whoever it is.
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 0
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 3
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 8
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 3
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 24
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1
- PBT Extra: Matchup to watch in Bulls vs. Bucks, Derrick Rose vs. Michael Carter-Williams 6