LeBron James savoring big dunk over Jason Terry

Mar 20, 2013, 3:25 PM EST

LeBron James has had his share of big dunks in the NBA… and a few other people’s shares. To the point he doesn’t linger over them much.

Usually. But the Celtics Jason Terry was dismissive of the Heat and their winning streak before the two teams met Monday night, so LeBron seemed pretty happy to publicly savor the dunk, speaking to the Associated Press on Wednesday.

“I’ve had a chance to (review) it and it was one of my better ones,” James said at the Heat’s morning shootaround. “The fact that it happened to J.T. made it that much sweeter because we all know J.T. and he talks too much sometimes.

“I’m glad it happened to him.”

As there should be, a lot of people are rallying to the defense of Terry and Brandon Knight, who got dunked on by DeAndre Jordan a few weeks ago. What would you rather have, a player who cowers away in that situation or one who jumps in and tries to make a play on a bigger, stronger player and just comes up short. Look back at the people who have been dunked on before and it includes big time defensive players — Kendrick Perkins last year all the way back to Patrick Ewing against Jordan — who tried and came up short. But at least they were there and tried.

1. 1972wasalongtimeago - Mar 20, 2013 at 3:37 PM

“Savoring” may be kind of a strong word. But if by “Savoring” you mean like way Hannibal Lechter “savored” that psychiatrist, then yes. “Savoring” would be an appropriate word choice.

2. andrewproughcfe - Mar 20, 2013 at 3:39 PM

@Lebron – “we all know J.T. and he talks too much sometimes”

One dunk doesn’t make up for the butt-whipping JT and the Mavs put on you 2 years ago, Lebron. Glare all you want and gloat all you want, but you were the one who came up small in that series.

For me, JT will always have scoreboard over King James.

3. loungefly74 - Mar 20, 2013 at 3:53 PM

exactly. i made this point earlier…you still play defense. you don’t cower away. so what if the chance of looking dumb magnifies, who cares? its your job the play defense. i would be pissed if the player just backed away and did nothing.

• asimonetti88 - Mar 20, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Right on. Dikembe Mutombo has been on the receiving end of more “poster” dunks than pretty much anyone else I can remember- but he’s also been on the giving side of quite a few stuffs too. Not a coincidence.

• miamatt - Mar 20, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Totally right.

I hate Jason Terry as much as anyone and yes, there are few I’d rather see humiliated… but at least he tried.

The fact that this is a story two days later shows how much a player lays on the line when he steps in front of a potential monster dunk.

• dal24la - Mar 20, 2013 at 11:06 PM

No, Lebron himself said on Twitter he wouldn’t get in the way of one of those dunks. And he’s an elite defender.

4. southbeachtalent - Mar 20, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Jason “You Tube” Terry deserved to get consumed by LeBron. Got to learn to respect the King!!

All hale King James!!!!

• Kansachusetts - Mar 21, 2013 at 4:18 PM

What a chump Lebron is. Hasn’t learned his lesson. Considering his talent he should tie Jordan for championships. Considering his character, he’ll be lucky to get two.

• tesslord - Mar 21, 2013 at 5:45 PM

King James? You mean the one who left his very own kingdom to join forces with the princelings in Miami? Why he is called king James is beyond me. He is big and powerful….like a brute as evidenced by his attitude after the dunk.

• tesslord - Mar 21, 2013 at 7:24 PM

You mean all hail, or all hell?

5. jcmeyer10 - Mar 20, 2013 at 4:10 PM

I like how you pretend to make this about Terry but just want to shower more praise on LeBron.

6. lucaslatronico - Mar 20, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Using Perkins as an example of a big time defender was a fail.

7. moseskkim - Mar 20, 2013 at 4:43 PM

I don’t think the dunk was that great. If I hadn’t seen the deandre over knight dunk, griffin over many, even dwade over varejao, I would think differently but it just wasn’t that great in my opinion.

• thedebonair1 - Mar 20, 2013 at 4:53 PM

The magnitude of the game made it that much nastier. It couldn’t have played out any more perfect. Terry will forever be immortalized on memes.

• thenmoveback - Mar 20, 2013 at 5:02 PM

It was a great dunk because Miami fans and players hate Jason terry, absolutely hate the guy, don’t get me wrong good player always gives it his all, but we hate this guy. He has been in 2 physical finals vs the Heat, now he is on our biggest rival, Always running his mouth.. Plus he has hit some big 3s against us and nobody likes that. So if LBJ could destroy anyone he is up on the top of the list for me.

8. themars211 - Mar 20, 2013 at 5:00 PM

This guy is forever a front runner. I mean he is what 6’9? He dunks on Jason Terry who is 6’2 and thats a stretch and he is savoring that? You would think he dunked on D. Howard or Wilt Chamberlain the way he is acting. GTFOH….once a bully and front runner…always one! I don’t care how great of basketball player he is…how do you celebrate something thats expected of him. I would think there was something wrong if he couldn’t dunk on Jason Terry….smdh!!

• thebigcaptain2011 - Mar 20, 2013 at 5:12 PM

So do you get the same way when your favorite football player gets a hard hit on a smaller player and celebrates? So by your logic and great athlete shouldn’t enjoy any victory or great moment against a “lesser” athlete. So Usain Bolt shouldn’t celebrate after a race, huh? Oh, and look up MJ’s line about dunking on Isaiah Thomas. You people are hypocrites and it is dizzying. The reason you hear so much about/from LeBron is because he is the best in his field and your favorite news establishment always has a microphone in his face. How about you try abstaining from all media and then you won’t have to hear about LeBron.

• themars211 - Mar 20, 2013 at 5:18 PM

It wasn’t a race or even the deciding play in the game. It was one solitary play in a game with many of them. Hey celebrate your win but acting like you just climbed Mt. Mutombo or banged on Yao Ming is a little too much for me considering it was Jason Terry…lmao!

• thebigcaptain2011 - Mar 20, 2013 at 5:23 PM

I’m not a Heat fan. My team is the Rockets so I know all about dunking on Yao. I saw guy celebrate doing that for 8 seasons.
        Once again, guys celebrating dunking on smaller guys is not unprecendented. It has happened more times than I care to waste my time telling a troll. (LMAO!) *emoticon

• themars211 - Mar 20, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Not a troll…I just have some perspective. Hell go dunk on Mugsy Bogues if you want but don’t make a big deal about it….lol

• thebigcaptain2011 - Mar 20, 2013 at 5:52 PM

The media is making a big deal about it. They put a camera and mic in front of his face and he said how he felt. He didn’t post a billboard about it or nothing. He simply stated that it was nice to get a small amount of satisfaction from humiliating a guy who runs his mouth a lot. I know that all too well myself. I play ball daily against guys who have bigger mouths than guts/skill.

• byrdstheword82 - Mar 21, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Thank you!

9. rodge1 - Mar 20, 2013 at 5:04 PM

@themars211

Whatever hater… The dunk was extra special because Terry was running his mouth as usual.

• themars211 - Mar 20, 2013 at 5:09 PM

I think JET has one up on him actually. A little something called the 2011 NBA championship. Remember that? Where was all the talk and showboating then. Like I said front runner!! When he disappeared and you couldn’t even find him on the side of a milk carton….lmao

• thebigcaptain2011 - Mar 20, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Speaking of guys on the side of a milk carton, how is Terry doing this year? Last year? Like I said LeBron will be a hall of famer and Terry will be a career 6th man.

• themars211 - Mar 20, 2013 at 6:00 PM

You mistake me for someone that cares about what Jason Terry is doing…All I said is he making a big deal about a dunk that he should make 10 out of 10 times considering the size difference between the 2 players involved….in the first angle during the game Terry didn’t get pass his chest and you could’nt see him…lmao

10. bougin89 - Mar 20, 2013 at 5:05 PM

“That doesn’t mean we aren’t all going to watch these kind of dunks in the future. These kind of contested dunks that happen spontaneously in games I will take over dunk contest dunks any day.”

Exactly. NBA All star weekend in general is pretty brutal IMO. Maybe it has gotten better but I haven’t watched any of it in years.

11. cantonbound13 - Mar 20, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Let’s see, Terry out plays LeBron in the finals and his team wins the championship 2 years ago. LeBron dunks on Terry in a meaningless regular season game.
    Advantage: Terry

• thebigcaptain2011 - Mar 20, 2013 at 5:14 PM

LeBron best player in the world, more money, more media attention, will be a hall of famer…Oh yeah, it’s advantage Terry. What an ass. Ohio sports suck by the way.

• thenmoveback - Mar 20, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Idiot

• cwilson6843 - Mar 20, 2013 at 6:58 PM

You are an idiot. Are u trying to imply that terry is better than LeBron cuz the 2011 finals? You’re stupid. U kno nothing about basketball. LeBron was simply letting terry kno with a glaring stare don’t run your mouth. Besides when LeBron retires Terry will be on the legacy of LeBron highlight film. Nobody will even care when terry retires

• craighsite - Mar 20, 2013 at 7:14 PM

“Canton” last I checked it’s a team game! Dallas had a great game plan for Miami in that finals! It happens! I think people focus more on what Miami and Lebron didn’t do versus how well the Mavericks played! It was their time–point blank! But haters will hate it’s just in their nature! And you’re a hater!

12. rodge1 - Mar 20, 2013 at 5:12 PM

@cantonbound13

Of course a trash-talking loser would take the side of another trash-talking loser. Tell us more about the past since that’s all you have to hold on to.

13. themars211 - Mar 20, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Bo Jackson Vs. Brian Bosworth fair fight……Lebron James 6’9 270 lbs Vs. Jason Terry 6’1 170 pounds not so much of a fear fight…..where is the glory in dunking on him? I’m not a hater just common sense!

• themars211 - Mar 20, 2013 at 5:13 PM

fair…lol

• tommyshih - Mar 23, 2013 at 1:33 AM

Don’t worry, @themars211, it’s not your typo that is making you look stupid and getting you the downvotes.

• paleihe - Mar 20, 2013 at 5:49 PM

If you jump, get dunked on and fall to the floor, you got posterized.

It doesn’t matter what the size difference is. afterall, they’re both professional basketball players.

• themars211 - Mar 20, 2013 at 5:56 PM

thats fair enough…nothing against the play bro lmao

14. rodge1 - Mar 20, 2013 at 5:15 PM

@themars211

Keep living in the past hater, it will help you forget how bad your team is today!

• themars211 - Mar 20, 2013 at 5:21 PM

I’m not a hater. Not even close to it and my team has nothing to do with what I’m stating. BTW I can live in the past…my team has 16 banners in the rafters! You on the other hand probably been watching basketball for 2 years so your perspective is pretty much limited….lol

15. rodge1 - Mar 20, 2013 at 5:24 PM

@themars211

LMAO!!!… That explains everything! Thank you for your hatred. Your team won’t be getting another banner for a while.

• themars211 - Mar 20, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Maybe they will maybe they won’t… but our history and track record speaks for itself. Even when we are down we stay relevant. When your team is down…they are just down. Nobody cares about them…lol. And again I don’t hate the Heat….my hatred is reserved for the Boston Celtics son.

• zeedoubleyou - Mar 21, 2013 at 4:18 PM

The next time history wins a game for a team will be the first.

Just keep putting down LBJ because it’s easier than sitting and thinking about what direction the C’s are heading…

16. mp4philly - Mar 20, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Please let that be the last time that Perkins is mentioned in the same sentence as Jordan and Ewing.

17. skinsfanwill - Mar 20, 2013 at 7:11 PM

To add insult to injury, that bum Terry got a tech after being posterized.

18. rodge1 - Mar 20, 2013 at 7:29 PM

@themars211
    I’ll still care about my team when they don’t win the same way I cared when Glen Rice was their only weapon. And you are a hater, get over it son.

19. themars211 - Mar 20, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Can’t reason with the unreasonable and can’t use logic with the illogical…I’m done with it son.

20. jake4192 - Mar 20, 2013 at 10:08 PM

What a front runner. Hope he looked up at all the banners when he did it, that’s what team ball looks like

• byrdstheword82 - Mar 21, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Wasn’t that much team ball in that game. The only balling being done was by Green, where were the rest of the Celtics?

21. rodge1 - Mar 21, 2013 at 11:23 AM

@themars211

So LeBron dunks on someone who’s been talking smack, and you criticize him for the stare-down. Then you call him a front runner. I call you out on your hating then your response is saying I’ve only been a fan of the Heat for 2 years… Where is the reason or logic you claim to be using?

22. rodge1 - Mar 21, 2013 at 11:59 AM

@jake4192

LeBron looked up at those banners right after he hit the game-winning shot and his team won.

• byrdstheword82 - Mar 21, 2013 at 2:15 PM

AWESOME!

23. michaeljordanseviltwin - Mar 21, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Hey Jason Chumpy how’s that tattoo working out for you? Gonna bring a championship to Boston this year?

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches