George Hill says he didn’t mean to disrespect to Pacers fans

Mar 20, 2013, 11:21 AM EDT

George Hill AP

George Hill says he didn’t want to insult Pacers fans, he just wants to see more of them.

The Los Angeles Lakers came to Indiana last Friday and, as happens most places the Lakers visit, there were a lot of L.A. fans in the building. The Lakers are one of the NBA’s handful of national brands and they have fans everywhere. But Hill said after the game that there were too many Lakers fans and, “We’ve been trouble free. Been out in the community shaking hands, we’re winning. It shouldn’t feel like an away game, especially with an important like this.”

As you might imagine, that didn’t go over well — Hill got ripped on twitter, on sports talk radio and in the papers by Pacers fans who felt insulted.

Back home Tuesday before the Pacers rolled the Magic, Hill was asked about it all and tried to clarify his comments, speaking with the Indianapolis Star.

“I’m not saying you can’t be somebody’s fan,” said Hill, an Indianapolis native who went to Broad Ripple High School and IUPUI. “I was a Michael Jordan fan growing up, but when I did go to the games, I always rooted for my hometown team.

“You root for who you want to root for, but I know one day that we’re going to get it like it used to be at Market Square Arena. That’s my dream, that’s my goal from when I first got here, to help bring fans back. That’s all I’m trying to do.”

Hill was frustrated after a Pacers loss to the Lakers and vented. Which really isn’t the best way to get the fans back in the building. But the native son wasn’t booed by the Pacers faithful Tuesday either.

Indiana fans know basketball. They supported this team wildly back in the Reggie Miller/Mark Jackson era, but that was a winning team that was exciting to watch. This Pacers team is starting to win and fans are starting to return.

Make it all the way to the Eastern Conference finals this year and you’ll see a lot of support, Hill. But it’s going to take a little more offensive punch from the Pacers to get there.

1. goraidersgospurs - Mar 20, 2013 at 11:27 AM

GH3, was mute in texas. I never heard him speak untill now.

2. emosnar - Mar 20, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Spurs fans are the greatest. . . unfortunately.

3. dirtydavis - Mar 20, 2013 at 1:07 PM

WE still talking about this guy???

• dexterismyhero - Mar 20, 2013 at 1:24 PM

obviously you responded right?

• dirtydavis - Mar 20, 2013 at 2:00 PM

I responded because I saw the comments. Why even talk about a guy who is barely averaging 14pts and 35 mins a game? by the way Debra Morgan F’up!!! Next season she is going to turn in Dexter

4. davidly - Mar 20, 2013 at 1:28 PM

The irony is that the road-Lakers’ fans are rowdier than those in the Forum the Staples Center TM.

For all the credit Dr. Buss has gotten for bringing a show to basketball, the LA fans are the most catatonic in the game.

5. lakerluver - Mar 20, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Kobe and LeBron are the only players in the league that hear MVP chants in every arena. Of course, Kobe’s been hearing them for 10-15 years!
    #theLAKERSzealot

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches