Mar 20, 2013, 4:21 PM EDT
A lot of that will be determined by how many rings this Heat core can rack up — it’s not likely to reach the numbers of LeBron’s brash predictions, but with LeBron reaching his peak years they will be threats to win a handful.
But when you think of those Jerry West/Wilt Chamberlain Lakers, the streak is part of that. When you think of the Jordan era Bulls, the 72-win season is part of that legacy.
The current 23-and-growing win streak the Heat are on can be part of their legacy. That streak could (likely will) grow Wednesday night when the Heat take on the injury-riddled Cavaliers.
James admitted that the streak has taken on an importance with the team in speaking with Fran Blinebury at NBA.com.
“It means a lot,” James said. “I am a historian of the game. I know the history of the game. I know almost all the teams that have come through the ranks. To be sitting in second place right now, with so much that this game has given to our fans and everything, for us to be there, doing it the way we want to do it, it means a lot.”
At a time of the year when the Heat might be coasting, might be resting guys and dropping games they shouldn’t they are focused and making fourth-quarter comebacks. They want this.
“We’re aware, and it’s a special opportunity that we have with this group,” said coach Erik Spoelstra. “And you don’t want to take it for granted. You want to treat every day as a special opportunity to be with this group, to share these moments together, but more importantly to take a step closer to going after our goal. And every day that we improve puts us in a better position in a quest where nothing is guaranteed for anybody.”
What might really worry the rest of the league about this streak is it is making the Heat sharper and more focused heading into the playoffs. Where their legacy will really be determined (this streak without a ring to cap the season will lose its luster). And right now it’s hard to look around the league and see who can beat a focused, sharp Heat team in a seven game series.
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 39
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 48
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 44
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 42