Mar 20, 2013, 3:50 PM EDT
It’s been a rough season for the Pistons, but the last few weeks in particular have been very tough — they have lost nine games in a row, the most recent a 37-point drubbing at the hands of the Nets. They are without Andre Drummond (back issues) and without any real spark.
In their last 10 games they have averaged 98.9 points per 100 possessions while allowing 115.7 — a difference of -16.8. That defense has been the worst in the NBA over that stretch.
Even their coach finds it hard to watch.
Coach Lawrence Frank was honest with the Detroit News and said that he found it hard to watch that loss to the Nets.
‘This is our fifth game like this since the break,” said Pistons coach Lawrence Frank, who returned to the team after a six-game absence due to his wife’s illness.
“As a group we stunk. This is disheartening to watch.”
The question is simply has the team quit? Well, to be fair injuries play a role with Brandon Knight, Jose Calderon and Andre Drummond all out. But the guys left on the roster are not putting up much fight at all. It’s not pretty.
And for Frank the issue goes back to the idea of turning around the culture of the franchise.
“We have to restore the pride of being a Piston,” said Frank before Monday’s game. “We’re not gonna restore it in a day but, big picture, we have to get that pride back in wearing that jersey.”
Easier said than done. Especially with this roster.
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 9
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1
- PBT Extra: Injuries make Grizzlies, Trail Blazers series hard to predict 3
- PBT Extra: Will Spurs depth, versatility prove too much for Clippers? 13
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis, Pelicans made playoffs. Will they get a fifth game vs. Warriors? 6
- Rumor: LaMarcus Aldridge more likely to leave Trail Blazers in free agency than people realize 24
- PBT First-Round Playoff Previews: Chicago Bulls vs. Milwaukee Bucks 8
- PBT First-Round Playoff Previews: Houston Rockets vs. Dallas Mavericks 15