Mar 20, 2013, 3:50 PM EDT
It’s been a rough season for the Pistons, but the last few weeks in particular have been very tough — they have lost nine games in a row, the most recent a 37-point drubbing at the hands of the Nets. They are without Andre Drummond (back issues) and without any real spark.
In their last 10 games they have averaged 98.9 points per 100 possessions while allowing 115.7 — a difference of -16.8. That defense has been the worst in the NBA over that stretch.
Even their coach finds it hard to watch.
Coach Lawrence Frank was honest with the Detroit News and said that he found it hard to watch that loss to the Nets.
‘This is our fifth game like this since the break,” said Pistons coach Lawrence Frank, who returned to the team after a six-game absence due to his wife’s illness.
“As a group we stunk. This is disheartening to watch.”
The question is simply has the team quit? Well, to be fair injuries play a role with Brandon Knight, Jose Calderon and Andre Drummond all out. But the guys left on the roster are not putting up much fight at all. It’s not pretty.
And for Frank the issue goes back to the idea of turning around the culture of the franchise.
“We have to restore the pride of being a Piston,” said Frank before Monday’s game. “We’re not gonna restore it in a day but, big picture, we have to get that pride back in wearing that jersey.”
Easier said than done. Especially with this roster.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 1
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 13
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 39
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 22
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 19
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29