Mar 20, 2013, 3:50 PM EDT
It’s been a rough season for the Pistons, but the last few weeks in particular have been very tough — they have lost nine games in a row, the most recent a 37-point drubbing at the hands of the Nets. They are without Andre Drummond (back issues) and without any real spark.
In their last 10 games they have averaged 98.9 points per 100 possessions while allowing 115.7 — a difference of -16.8. That defense has been the worst in the NBA over that stretch.
Even their coach finds it hard to watch.
Coach Lawrence Frank was honest with the Detroit News and said that he found it hard to watch that loss to the Nets.
‘This is our fifth game like this since the break,” said Pistons coach Lawrence Frank, who returned to the team after a six-game absence due to his wife’s illness.
“As a group we stunk. This is disheartening to watch.”
The question is simply has the team quit? Well, to be fair injuries play a role with Brandon Knight, Jose Calderon and Andre Drummond all out. But the guys left on the roster are not putting up much fight at all. It’s not pretty.
And for Frank the issue goes back to the idea of turning around the culture of the franchise.
“We have to restore the pride of being a Piston,” said Frank before Monday’s game. “We’re not gonna restore it in a day but, big picture, we have to get that pride back in wearing that jersey.”
Easier said than done. Especially with this roster.
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 0
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 39
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 14
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 8
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 55