Mar 19, 2013, 1:56 AM EST
On a night with some big games and big lines — Stephen Curry had 30 points and just misses out — two of our three stars come from one game. One of the best, most entertaining games of the season. We couldn’t leave either of these guys off.
Third Star: Wilson Chandler (35 points, 9 rebounds, 4 assists)
The ending of this game was controversial — I think Joakim Noah did have offensive interference, but so did Kosta Kufos 40 seconds earlier — but it shouldn’t overshadow a huge game from Wilson Chandler. He did much of his damage in the first half, scoring 20 points on 8-of-13 shooting. He had 8 more in the fourth quarter. Chandler was in attack mode and was getting his shots at the rim all night long, which is something Nuggets fans want to see more of.
Second Star: Jeff Green (43 points, 7 rebounds, 4 blocks)
This is the Jeff Green we wish we saw every night — he was attacking, getting to the rim and looking for his shot. All too often he has been coasting through games, willing to defer (to Kevin Durant in OKC, now Paul Pierce or others). Green was attacking on Monday, getting his shots going to the basket more often than not. He also put in a big night of defensive effort — nobody stops LeBron but Green made him work hard for his points. It was a fantastic two-way effort that was the only reason the Celtics were in it at all at the end.
First Star: LeBron James (37 points, 12 assists, 7 rebounds)
The Heat have 23 wins in a row because LeBron James. He won them this game. He was the guy getting the points, and if he didn’t score himself he was setting up teammates. And the Heat needed every bit of it. Down the stretch of a close game Miami went with isolation after isolation squaring LeBron up on Jeff Green, and when it mattered LeBron was hitting the game winner over Green.
LeBron looked every bit the MVP Monday night. As if that post-season award were in any doubt.
- Knicks snap nine-game losing streak by crushing depleted Nets 1
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 6
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 5
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 14
- Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to” 13
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (36)