Knicks injuries pile up: Chandler out week, Thomas 2-4 weeks

Mar 19, 2013, 2:39 PM EDT

New York Knicks center Tyson Chandler reacts after drawing a foul and scoring a basket against the Dallas Mavericks during their NBA basketball game in Dallas, Texas Reuters

Another day, another injured Knick. Or two.

Before the season when we all joked about the Knicks old roster, particularly the bench, this was the concern. Old bodies break down more. The Knicks front line was already short with Amare Stoudemire and Carmelo Anthony sidelined with knee issues (although Anthony should be back this week after getting his knee drained).

On top of that, the Knicks have been without center and defensive anchor Tyson Chandler for three games — and they will be without him at least another week, tweets Howard Beck of the New York Times.

They can survive because they have veteran big man Kurt Thomas on the roster… oh, wait, what?

So, Marcus Camby, how do you feel about 40 minutes a night? We are going to all get to see a lot of Kenyon Martin and Chris Copeland, as well.

Up to this point the Knicks have refused to waive Rasheed Wallace, who is unlikely to bounce back this season from a foot injury (that the Knicks called day-to-day pretty much the entire time). They may have to reconsider that plan. While the free agent big man market right now is pretty slim, the Knicks need bodies.

The Knicks host the Magic on Wednesday, have a home-and-home with Toronto over the weekend then travel to Boston next Tuesday. Looking at that now the shorthanded win in Utah on Monday looks huge.

1. fanofevilempire - Mar 19, 2013 at 3:16 PM

good lord, is every athlete in nyc going down to injury, wtf is going on.

the knicks cannot lose this division,

• Mr. Wright 212 - Mar 19, 2013 at 5:08 PM

The Nets are about to get swept on their west coast trip. The Knicks can win at least two of their next five, so they won’t lose any ground before Anthony and Chandler return.

• fanofevilempire - Mar 19, 2013 at 6:45 PM

ok, I hope you are right, Mr. Wright, I do believe
        it is more important to be healthy for the playoffs.

2. clevelandschronic2 - Mar 19, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Aww poor Knicks all those max level contracts sure have hurt your depth. Doesnt matter though with or without your overpaid players(amare,chandler, and mr no defense melo) you were gonna be knocked out in the first rd like the last 2 yrs.

• fanofevilempire - Mar 19, 2013 at 5:09 PM

you better worry about Cleveland sport teams, have you ever won anything?
      bunch of losers.

• badintent - Mar 19, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Enjoy that nice arctic blast from your friends in Canada. Is the snow over your doghouse residence yet ? Bet your Wal-Mart work place is sold out of shovels but you still seem to be shoveling crap wit out it

3. miamatt - Mar 19, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Who could have predicted that the NBA’s oldest team would collapse under a rash of injuries down the stretch?

• fanofevilempire - Mar 19, 2013 at 5:12 PM

not you, because you are a little premature.
      you probably bought one of those
      Heat beat Dallas t-shirts after being up 2-0, makes
      good car wash cloth huh.

• miamatt - Mar 19, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Ahh, that’s cute that you still believe in your team. Can’t say I blame you, it’s what fans do.

Do you actually not believe you are watching a collapse? Six weeks ago the Knicks were tied for first in the East. Now, they are 12.5 games back. Do you actually have confidence in a team that hasn’t been out of the first round in a generation?

Fully healthy, the Knicks would have no better than a puncher’s chance at coming out of the East. Like this, they are the most obvious high seed to pick for an upset in the first round. I’d take the Celtics, Bulls, and Nets over them in a heartbeat. I’d even call a draw against the Hawks a pick ‘em. The Knicks are ill-convenceived, over-injured, and under-producing as we approach the REAL season. Good luck with that.

4. Mr. Wright 212 - Mar 19, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Sheed may never play again.

Kurt is definitely done for the rest of the regular season, if not the one and done we’re about to have.

Tyson is not playing for the rest of this month (again, as I’ve said many times, don’t believe MSG — they said day to day for Melo, I said two weeks — it’s two weeks). Stoudemire won’t be in shape even IF he makes it back at the end of the 1st Round. It’s down to Camby and Martin. James White is going to most likely be waived in the next 4-5 days as they will probably pick up Delonte West, and hopefully get Tyson back next weekend.

5. jimeejohnson - Mar 19, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Stick a fork in them: they’re done. I thought this was the year the Knicks would get past the Celtics. Carmelo is one of the league’s premier players, but his supporting cast leaves a lot to be desired. Where is John Starks when you need him? Patrick Ewing: HELP!

• Mr. Wright 212 - Mar 19, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Ehhhh… if we were healthy, we would have had a Top 3-4 team, but I threw in the towel with the Stoudemire injury. Now it’s just borderline ridiculous.

• Mr. Wright 212 - Mar 19, 2013 at 6:43 PM

We have JR Starks. And much like John, he shoots us out of just as many games (ice cold vs. POR and LAC with the game still in the balance) as he wills us to win (i.e. both of these Utah games).

The problem has been that since Sheed went down, there is no one else who can stretch the floor and score inside AND outside, as well as communicates well defensively, while still providing interior defense as well. Since he went down, the Knicks are 21-21, and mostly because we get killed on the boards and score the least/surrender the most points in the paint. All the switching pulls Chandler out of position so much (not sure WHY Coach keeps sticking with this defensive scheme) that our ONLY line of defense is not even in position to defend the paint. Add that to him not giving us anything offensively other than playing off Felton and hustling, and that’s simply what’s wrong with the Knicks, healthy or not.

All these ESPN talking heads, most all of whom hate the Knicks, try to make it out to be rocket science, but the Knicks problems are very simple on the defensive end. Coach’s own stubborn insistence on all the switching has cost the Knicks a good 8-10 games. Even with all these guys injured, they can score enough to win 10 of the final 16, if they would just abandon switching everything all game long.

• dysraw1 - Mar 19, 2013 at 10:17 PM

the switching isn’t so much the problem as the back line-D

• fanofevilempire - Mar 19, 2013 at 6:51 PM

miamatt, I’m a knick fan, what do you want me to do, root for them to lose. I have to look at the BIG picture. I’m not so sure about ALL those teams you named to beat them, I can’t guarantee they don’t lose and neither can youD- Wade, I like everything they do but what happens if LBJ goes down and a healthy Knick team rolls in to town, I know that is a BIG if, can you guarantee that doesn’t happen

• miamatt - Mar 19, 2013 at 7:38 PM

fanofevilempire, I’ve got no real beef with you, you are just rooting for your team. From my side, I’m just talking smack while I can, as you likely would were the Knicks in the midst of a great run.

You are right on a couple of points, though. #1 I’ll give ya that the Nets and Hawks aren’t necessarily in any better shape than the Knicks. And #2, one injury can change everything. Like I said, I’m just gettin’ while the gettin’s good.

• fanofevilempire - Mar 19, 2013 at 6:51 PM

• fanofevilempire - Mar 19, 2013 at 7:00 PM

If I was betting I bet Miami, but I also know the Knicks handled Miami in two games early
      in the season while they were healthy, before you fellas start, I do ask you watch that game
      and see what the Knicks did. I would like that team to be the team that plays Miami in the playoffs and if they beat me fine, I don’t have a problem tipping my cap to LBJ and Wade.
      I don’t know what will happen to Knicks, I don’t know who plays. What if Amare pulls a
      Willis Reed.

6. Mr. Wright 212 - Mar 19, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Oh, and not playing Cope for entire quarters at a time, even when he’s cooking, boggles the mind. Coach may be falling asleep in-game most of the time and we just don’t know it.

7. rodyaugu - Mar 19, 2013 at 7:13 PM

That’s what happens when a team sign a bunch old washed up veterans.

• lsoreal - Mar 19, 2013 at 7:44 PM

You are one of those people who just regurgitates what he hears in the media. Who are the top 8 guys on the Knicks? 8 being the rotation most teams would use in the Playoffs. Carmelo, Amare, Tyson, JR, Felton, Shump, Novak, Kidd. How many of them are old wash up veterans? Kidd is the only one who may fit that discription. Though I wouldn’t call him washed up. STAT is neither old nor washed up. Unfortunately, he is injury prone. The Knicks will go as far as those guys will take them. People like you who call the Knicks old because of Thomas, Camby, and Wallace know nothing about the team. Unfortunately for us, it is the guys who are mostly in the prime of their careers that are injured right now.

8. clevelandschronic2 - Mar 19, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Sorry fanofevil last time i checked the cavs have been further in the playoffs and on a more consistent basis than your poor nyk. And even tho our best player left id still rather be in the cavs position of building real contender that will last without overpaying some so called stars to get injured and sit on the bench(amare, now melo and chandler). Nyk are a 1st rd KO every year and u end up with lousy draft picks.(if denver dont have them from the robbery they pulled on Ny. The CAVS future is brighter than your sry nyk !!!

• Mr. Wright 212 - Mar 19, 2013 at 7:58 PM

You won nothing, so going further means nothing.

• clevelandschronic2 - Mar 19, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Much like these knicks have which is my point. Oh and it took only one max player mixed with most average to some above average teamates. And we didnt gut our team for 2 years leading up to the summer of 2010 hoping and praying any max contract free agent would sign (joe johnson,lebron,amare,wade) all that planning and hoping to create another monster like the heat backfired and this is team you get.

9. dysraw1 - Mar 19, 2013 at 10:04 PM

ill stick with my bunch, didn’t expect more than getting out of the first rd. and the injurys compiled with poor gm moves kinda cemented our position, but im pleased that that weve been on top of our div.expected to be trailing the Celts. all year

10. thetooloftools - Mar 20, 2013 at 1:31 PM

This is what happens when your team is so old they give them Geritol during time outs instead of Gator Aid.

11. miamatt - Mar 19, 2013 at 5:46 PM

You’re half right.

12. miamatt - Mar 19, 2013 at 5:47 PM

^^^^
    that comment was meant for another post. Don’t know WTF happened.

13. jimeejohnson - Mar 19, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Better than totally wrong.

14. badintent - Mar 19, 2013 at 8:19 PM

same thing happens to me, only on Kurt’s post. Must be a PBT conspirascy against the East coast since Kurt is in LA.

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches