Did LeBron James deserve technical for staredown after dunk?

Mar 19, 2013, 2:04 PM EDT

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!

LeBron James had one of the dunks of the year on Monday night (there are a lot of candidates this season), a huge throwdown over Jason Terry (the video is below). And by the way, credit to Terry for trying to make the play rather than just getting out of the way. But when you talk smack before the game sometimes things like this happen.

On his radio show Dan Patrick discussed “did LeBron deserve a technical for it?”

There certainly was a moment of Cassius Clay standing over Liston to it. But LeBron also didn’t do a quarterback sack dance or anything, either. He dunked, posed for a second and moved on. Is that worse than Terry doing a jet plane back up the court after a three? Niether of those are issues for me.

I like a little showmanship in the game, a little personality. If LeBron pulled a Sharpie out of his sock to autograph the ball, that’s a tech. What he did after the dunk didn’t bother me much, it seems much lesser stuff has gone unpenalized this season. But this is kind of an eye-of-the-beholder thing. Some people were pissed at what he did.

1. nofunleague - Mar 19, 2013 at 6:29 PM

NBA…..No Babies Allowed

2. jjones314 - Mar 19, 2013 at 6:30 PM

It’s basketball and sometimes you get dunked on. Terry gave effort which deserves credit. But LBJ threw it down with extreme force.

I could do without the tech cuz it only made it worse. Like Terry already laying flat on the ground, no need for a mercy technical foul call. But it’s all good tho.

3. patfic15 - Mar 19, 2013 at 7:02 PM

You know when I watched Jordan growing up, I used to hate the guy cause I knew the rules were never an issue tohim. He always won. Learned to love em as I got older. Lebron is reminding me of those days. Kid is just that good.

4. hollymeus - Mar 19, 2013 at 7:03 PM

it’s boston… lebron colud’ve buried

5. bigbenh8tr - Mar 19, 2013 at 9:11 PM

maybe not but I would have given him a tech for acting so immature after sinking the game winner. regardless of his talent the guys is a punk and I can’t wait to see them collapse in the playoffs whem wade doesn’t step up

• dolphinsnumber1 - Mar 20, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Ya sound like a hater to me.

6. titansbro - Mar 19, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Saw an above comment or say you’re foolish if you go for the block & end up posterized. Exactly the problem with bball & the NBA these days. Players are more worried about being posterized than making a play.

• leoimpr - Mar 20, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Walk the Walk and Talk the Talk, Terry tried to man up, but LBJ gave it to him. Rondo, Terry, Pierce and Garnett are four of the biggests punks out there

• omahakidw - Mar 20, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Why do you think KG did`nt play.”The King” usually does this once a game. You think KG did`nt choke on his supper while watching this at home? DOC Rivers talked to JT after the game and he walked away shaking his head regarding JT and his decision to try and block the dunk

7. usession - Mar 19, 2013 at 10:11 PM

for such physical athletic player, i have not seen lebron dunk on anyone that mattered. seems always to be the little guys or the really old guys. old garnett, old duncan and jason terry and daunte jones.

Vince, nique, Kobe Jordan even Wade have dunked on way more people in there careers and were much better in game dunkers than lebron. I would like to see lebron dunk on jeff green or dwight howard. then i will give him props.

8. severinsmith - Mar 20, 2013 at 8:06 AM

Meh. Celtics fan here. I don’t see the reason for a penalty.
    What’s the big deal

9. bgrillz - Mar 20, 2013 at 9:04 AM

He did, but no way he gets one for that or hanging on the rim, with already one T in the bag, and an auto ejection, in a nationally televised game, with the streak on the line. D Stern would fire the ref who did it. You don’t mess with D Stern’s ratings. He deserved 3 T’s, got one, and it equaled 1 W.

10. chrismt79 - Mar 20, 2013 at 4:18 PM

I love in the last camera shot, how the camera pan’s about 3ft higher to anticipate where LBJ was going to catch it.

11. nard100 - Mar 20, 2013 at 5:07 PM

I could watch that dunk a million times and love it just the same every time. The fact that it happened to the Celtics just makes it that much sweeter.

12. tsoul007 - Mar 20, 2013 at 6:07 PM

I don’t believe it was a stare down. The King is only worried if the poor man was ok. LeBron as we all know is a silent gentleman. Kobe said it too. LeBron will not answer to any trash talk. He is on the court to do his thing. The technical was uncalled for. I believe that the official just gave the T. just to compensate the poor Jason Terry for the nasty dunk.

13. jh2044 - Mar 20, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Did he DESERVE it? That depends on your interpretation of the word. I personally hate the technical call for “taunting.” Unless it’s really over the top or involves physical contact, I say let the players do it, it makes the game more fun to watch. That said, based on other calls that have been made in the past, LeBron’s actions certainly warranted a technical. Not all officials would make that call though, because taunting is called pretty inconsistently.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches