Mar 19, 2013, 12:59 PM EDT
The Lakers caught a break with the schedule this week.
Kobe Bryant was out of Monday night’s ugly Lakers loss due to a sprained ankle, but the team is off until Friday when they face Washington (in Los Angeles). Then they are off again until the next Monday.
So will Kobe Bryant play Friday or sit out and give his foot a whole week to rest? Dave McMenamin of ESPNLosAngeles.com asked coach Mike D’Antoni.
D'Antoni on when Kobe will return: "Knowing Kobe, probably Friday (against Washington)"—
Dave McMenamin (@mcten) March 19, 2013
The Wizards are not a pushover right now — John Wall was just named NBA player of the week because his jump shot is falling, he averaged 24 points a game last week and the Wizards have won three in a row. (Since Wall returned around the same time as Nene, the Wizards are 18-15.)
Even so, at home that is a game the Lakers should be able to win at home without Kobe. The troubling thing about ankles is once they sprain they are more susceptible to re-injury until they heal. This isn’t just a matter of pain tolerance. Kobe has to be careful so this is not a chronic issue the rest of the season.
Still, it’s Kobe. Just expect him to play.
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 39
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 16
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 33
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 14
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 22
- Report: Cavaliers trying to trade for Nuggets’ Timofey Mozgov 25
- Cavaliers, with LeBron James and Kevin Love, favored by oddsmakers to win 2015 NBA title 29
- Scout says Carmelo Anthony can be good triangle fit — if he moves the ball 20