Mar 19, 2013, 12:59 PM EST
The Lakers caught a break with the schedule this week.
Kobe Bryant was out of Monday night’s ugly Lakers loss due to a sprained ankle, but the team is off until Friday when they face Washington (in Los Angeles). Then they are off again until the next Monday.
So will Kobe Bryant play Friday or sit out and give his foot a whole week to rest? Dave McMenamin of ESPNLosAngeles.com asked coach Mike D’Antoni.
D'Antoni on when Kobe will return: "Knowing Kobe, probably Friday (against Washington)"—
Dave McMenamin (@mcten) March 19, 2013
The Wizards are not a pushover right now — John Wall was just named NBA player of the week because his jump shot is falling, he averaged 24 points a game last week and the Wizards have won three in a row. (Since Wall returned around the same time as Nene, the Wizards are 18-15.)
Even so, at home that is a game the Lakers should be able to win at home without Kobe. The troubling thing about ankles is once they sprain they are more susceptible to re-injury until they heal. This isn’t just a matter of pain tolerance. Kobe has to be careful so this is not a chronic issue the rest of the season.
Still, it’s Kobe. Just expect him to play.
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions 4
- The Extra Pass: Five quick ways to improve the league; plus Monday’s Recaps 7
- Monday night NBA Grades: DeMarcus Cousins was in beast mode 3
- PBT Extra: Kobe Bryant is back, doesn’t have much time to get it right 5
- It’s official, Clippers agree to terms with Stephen Jackson 4
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)