Mar 19, 2013, 4:24 PM EDT
It took a while after he recovered from knee surgery during training camp, but Dirk Nowizki is back to being his old self. In his last five games he’s averaged 19.6 points per game on 50.7 percent shooting and 52.6 percent from three. He’s pulling down 9.2 boards a game, too. Basically, All-Star numbers.
So how long can the 34-year-old keep going at this level?
“What we’re seeing now with Dirk is what we can expect to see next year and the year after, if he stays healthy,” Cuban said. “And the year after that.”
Three more seasons after this one. Up through age 37. At this level.
What does Dirk himself think of that?
“I’m not sure about all that,” said Nowitzki, a 15-year veteran who is averaging the fewest points (16.4) since his rookie year after missing the first 27 games of the season following arthroscopic surgery on his right knee. “We’ll just have to wait and see. Hopefully I can finish this season strong and have a good summer like I basically did last year with a lot of lifting and running and hopefully not have a setback with a surgery. We’ll see how consistent I can be again next season.”
Dirk may take half a step back, but for a few years he can be a part of a contending team, if the Mavericks can get the star free agent to go next to him. Problem is that is not likely this summer — don’ bet on Chris Paul or Dwight Howard moving teams, and after that the market takes a drop. On the other hand 2014 could be a deeper free agent group.
Which means it’s in Cuban’s interest to say his current star has a lot left in the tank.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 22
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 22
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4