Mar 19, 2013, 7:32 PM EDT
The latest is Waiters, who had an MRI done on his left knee and loose fragments were found, reports the Associated Press. You didn’t exactly need to go to medical school to know “loose fragments” and “knee” are not words you want to hear in the same sentence.
Waiters will be out at least a week but this may require surgery. The Cavaliers are already trying to get by without Kyrie Irving (shoulder injury, likely done for season) and Anderson Varejao.
Waiters took a while to adjust to the NBA, particularly in terms or preparation, but also just fitting his game in the flow. But he’s played better lately — in his last 10 games he is averaging 17.5 points a game on 47.7 percent shooting overall and 37.5 percent from three. When Irving was out and Waiters was asked to create shots, he looked like just a gunner. But next to Irving you could see flashes of what could be.
When when Irving and Waiters were paired together this season, the Cavaliers offense jumped by more than three points per 100 possessions. Of course, what the Cavs allowed on defense also jumped — there is work to do. But there is reason to be optimistic in Cleveland with Irving and Waiters — plus guys like Tristan Thompson and Tyler Zeller. There is a young core there that can grow together.
If they can just stay healthy.
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10