Andrew Bynum gets no slack from his former high school coach

Mar 19, 2013, 3:55 PM EDT

Andrew Bynum's hair, via Jordan Raanan on twitter.
https://twitter.com/JordanRaanan Andrew Bynum's hair, via Jordan Raanan on twitter. https://twitter.com/JordanRaanan

Andrew Bynum is not exactly the most popular sports figure in Philadelphia right now. To put it kindly.

The man the Sixers traded Andre Iguodala for, the guy they planned to rebuild the roster around, has not played a game for them all season. He was injured, recovery times got pushed, back, and next he had an injury setback while out bowling. Finally he said he didn’t want to play through pain — fans and teammates (who are playing through pain) don’t want to hear that. Bynum’s low pain tolerance and seeming lack passion for the game have been talked about behind his back by former teammates for years.

Now Bynum is going to have surgeries on both knees before becoming a free agent this summer. Philly fans are pretty much done with him.

So, does anyone have his back? You know things are rough for him when Bynum’s former high school athletic director and coach didn’t have his back in an interview with the Star-Ledger’s Dave D’Alessandro.

“Everyone here at school says the same thing: What’s wrong with him? Why does he act like that?” says St. Joe’s athletic director Jerry Smith. “He went from someone we’re proud of to someone whose name we don’t even mention anymore.”

“Yeah, I never respond to that kind of request (to defend Bynum), because Andrew has chosen not to stay in touch for whatever reason, so I just don’t get involved with it,” says Mark Taylor, who now coaches the St. Benedict’s Prep powerhouse. “I don’t dislike him, and he’ll continue to do well if he can stay healthy, but I’m sure he’s got people who will guide him in times like this.”

“Like most big guys with big expectations, he seemed uncomfortable with them,” says Wendell Alexis, the former Syracuse star who was Taylor’s assistant in 2004-05. “And subsequently, he seemed leery of people around him — coaches, or agents, or could be anybody. He had a very serious nature for a 17-year-old, actually, whereas most people that age — with that talent — would think the world was their oyster.”

That kind of aloof posture is how many former teammates speak of Bynum.

The question now becomes what kind of deal is Bynum going to be offered? D’Alessandro suggests it’s in the one-year, $8 million range. I think Bynum is the first big test of the new CBA and tax rules — while that one-year deal is what he should get, I think some team will gamble more because of the potential return. He is an All-Star and game changer at both ends when healthy, teams in the past have taken risks and overpaid bigs (Kris Humphires got $12 million a year for two years last summer). I expect an offer more like two or three years in the $12 million to $15 million range, with teams using an exemption that lets them waive him if he can’t play due to his knees.

But we’ll see. If I’m Philadelphia I’m more likely to bid low and just move on, despite the huge loss. Because Bynum isn’t going to help you sell a lot of tickets again. Except to boo him.

1. dirtydavis - Mar 19, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Each time I read article related to Bynum. I’m glad Lakers shipped his a** out

• reasonablemindsays - Mar 19, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Each time I read an article related to Bynum, I’m devastated the Sixers unloaded all their young talent for him

2. jacobstevens20 - Mar 19, 2013 at 4:25 PM

its a shame that someone so talented isnt passionate about the game he is so gifted at. bad knees or no bad knees.

3. thelakeshow562 - Mar 19, 2013 at 4:31 PM

tru im glad the Lakers shipped him out as well

4. sgtr0c - Mar 19, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Every time his name is brought up, from the past people he was around, it is always that there was something wrong with him. The Sixers tried him as the franchise center peice and that failed. The Laker’s had him as a contributor and that failed. His high school and college coach’s say he is wierd. Why would any team just take a 15 million dollar try with him? Does anyone really believe he has a shot at a ring or a HOF place, at this point in his career?
    Just go away Andy, go away!

• fanofevilempire - Mar 19, 2013 at 5:07 PM

he never played because he was injured.
      he has two rings with Lakers, how did he fail?
      he never attended college.
      he will get a contract.
      do you know anything about basketball, most of what you said is wrong.

• sgtr0c - Mar 19, 2013 at 5:58 PM

My first game I saw from a seat was a DrJ verses Bird, I even saw Ewing once. I know you are a pos kid who hasn’t.

• mytthor - Mar 19, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Despite the fact that he’s not the best at putting the words together, his point is valid. Your post talked about what Bynum’s college coaches say about him (he didn’t go to college) and how he failed with the Lakers (despite being an all-star starter and winning 2 rings, hard to call that a failure).

• ryanrockzzz - Mar 20, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Yea the towel boys got rings to……He’ll get a contract, but certainly at this point won’t be more then a “prove it” type of deal.

• jacobstevens20 - Mar 19, 2013 at 5:29 PM

his college coaches love him. you’re whack. he also won a national title in college. he averaged 32 points and 19 rebounds with 6 blocks and 4 assists in college too

5. zerole00 - Mar 19, 2013 at 5:07 PM

I think the Humphries comparison is a bit of a stretch. The guy was putting up solid numbers (though those have dipped) and he doesn’t have anywhere near the history of injuries that Bynum has. Bynum’s drive has also been questioned.

6. mungman69 - Mar 19, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Boo, and I didn’t have to buy a ticket.

7. decimusprime - Mar 19, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Did you just say Kris Humph is better than Bynum when both are on the court? LOL if you mean now well then it’s the same “stretch” as me and KH because me and Bynum played the same amount of min this year… Zero. Bynum is infinitely better when healthy. I dont even like him, but I know that.

• asimonetti88 - Mar 19, 2013 at 5:53 PM

No, he said that when Humphries went into free agency, he was coming off a season of good play and was healthy. When Bynum is going into free agency, it will be coming off a season of no play and no health.

8. DonkeyStick - Mar 19, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Please let something go wrong on the operating table

• dirtydavis - Mar 19, 2013 at 7:12 PM

^^^^ Now that is cold

• DonkeyStick - Mar 19, 2013 at 10:49 PM

sorry, but so is being a sixers fan

9. papacrick - Mar 19, 2013 at 5:40 PM

I saw this dude in Vegas while I was celebrating my 30th bday last year. I was blacked out pissing away my life on a black jack table at 4am and up walks Bynum, the largest turd I’ve ever seen in person. Nothing really cool happened after that but it’s safe to say he probably wasn’t hitting the gym to work on his game anytime soon thereafter

• badintent - Mar 19, 2013 at 8:09 PM

was charles with him ? Any hottie hoes in tow ? how much did he lose ? did he offer to buy you a drink ? Did he have his crazyass half cornrow and one half dreadlock dew ?

• reasonablemindsays - Mar 19, 2013 at 10:10 PM

How did you know it was Bynum if you were blacked out

10. decimusprime - Mar 19, 2013 at 6:14 PM

That is much more understandable and so I stand corrected. Lets not forget that Humpries contract was inflated to woo DW into staying according to PBT and while he played decently he is not worth that 12 million/per imo. He won’t get it again.

11. timpaz - Mar 19, 2013 at 6:25 PM

BooHoo! Sixers knew he was an oft injured malingerer when they traded for him.

12. kinggw - Mar 19, 2013 at 6:33 PM

So the coach wont defend him because Bynum doesnt stay in touch. That is supposed to prove Bynum’s a jerk?

Bynum isnt the most likable guy, but I dont blame him for not rushing to get back to the court. Who cares if the fans want him to play through the pain?

• 00maltliquor - Mar 20, 2013 at 2:27 AM

Yeah, I scratched my head at that one too. The guy just sounds butt-hurt

IDK why everybody piles on so hard on this guy, he’s hurt. His body is betraying him. That’s not his fault. He’s young and wants to take every precaution, especially during a contract year. Who can blame him? He doesn’t want to be 40 years old and in a wheelchair with only so much NBA money to live off of.

What I can’t understand is why on these message board Greg Oden gets a free frickin’ pass but Bynum is considered a pos.

• socalgal64 - Mar 20, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Even when he wasn’t injured, he was a defiant pouting man-child who decided from game to game whether or not he wanted to play well.

• louhudson23 - Mar 20, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Well,the fans care because the team they finance and root for has a large gaping hole the size of this guys bank account. And the perception (based on his conduct,attitude,words as well as the words of most everyone ever associated with him,except perhaps his agent ) is that he isn’t playing because he could give a hoopy-hoppin rats ass about the game,his team or the fans.

13. thetooloftools - Mar 19, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Drew is just a punk. He doesn’t want to play because he may have no gas left in the tank and wants another big payday before people realize he just doesn’t care anymore.

14. glink123 - Mar 19, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Andrew Oden Roy Bynum

15. badintent - Mar 19, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Andy,Kobe still got your back ?

16. gameover18 - Mar 19, 2013 at 8:46 PM

So glad the lake show shipped off this genius!

17. chris728 - Mar 19, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Lets see…
    1-low pain tolerance
    2-low motivation
    3- HS coach and former NBA team don’t have good things to say about him
    4-no passion for the game
    5- aloof
    6-not a good teammate

Seems like he would have fit well on the 2012 Eagles

18. kw27p - Mar 19, 2013 at 9:44 PM

This guy is my hero. 16 mil for doing jack squat. Winning!

19. kvanhorn87 - Mar 19, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Kurt, you ask if anyone has his back? What about reporting on comments from Doug Collins and Evan Turner?

20. ravissevens - Mar 19, 2013 at 11:10 PM

So the Magic still lost out in the Dwight trade yeah?
    Vuci looks to be a solid centre for a long time, while Bynum could be anything

21. kanemoney - Mar 19, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Someone will max him out and dread the day they did. Not just the injuries but more than anything the immaturity. At some point you realize the immature kid won’t grow up.

22. garrison1981 - Mar 20, 2013 at 12:22 AM

He’s garbage ! Waste of talent! This is the epitome of the wrong in sports!

23. abrofft - Mar 20, 2013 at 2:44 AM

I’d like to think we are in a good position considering we’ll have some money to spend after Bynum is gone, but losing Harkless and Vucevic is going to kill us in the long term. Hopefully we draft well this year. Classic Sixers, classic Philadelphia.

24. chainbuzz - Mar 20, 2013 at 8:24 AM

I love NBC Sports and PBT/PFT. lol

I love how for no apparent reason at all, my last post here, entered Mar 20 at 2:27 AM EST has apparently been blocked with some trick where it’s only visible to myself and when I’m logged in, and it is not visible to me at all when I’m not logged in, but everyone else’s posts are visible to me whether I’m logged in or not. I’m guessing nobody else here can see that post of mine but me, since it is not counted as comment #29, it says there are 28 comments here and mine would be 29 but it’s been blocked and for no reason. I’ve had it with this place. and anything having to do with NBC.

25. chainbuzz - Mar 20, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Now my comment I just left is #29 and this should be #30. Until they are removed, that is.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches