Mar 18, 2013, 2:24 AM EDT
While you were hopping from Irish pub to Irish pub Sunday, the NBA was putting a pretty solid slate of eight games. We had some surprise good performances and some from the usual suspects. Stephen Curry and Russell Westbrook, we’re sorry. On Selection Sunday you were the bubble guys who got cut from Three Stars.
Third Star: Antawn Jamison (27 points, 9 rebounds)
The Lakers needed someone to step up and score with Kobe Bryant out, and just as we all expected it was Jamison and Steve Blake. Okay, maybe expected isn’t the right word there. Jamison certainly has shown the ability to put the ball in the hole over his career, but he played like it was a decade ago on Sunday night — not only was he knocking down outside shots he was making smart, veteran cuts to the basket and getting buckets inside. If the Lakers are going to make the playoffs these are the kind of games they have to win and Jamison was key for the Lakers on Sunday.
Second Star: Kevin Durant (31 points, 9 rebounds)
Russell Westbrook deserves a lot of credit for the Thunder winning this game — he and Serge Ibaka carried the Thunder for the first three quarters. And Westbrook hit the go-ahead shot late n the fourth quarter. But when they needed him Durant was key for the Thunder, dropping 19 fourth-quarter points on 7-of-11 shooting. He missed a few of his shots right at the end, but he was what I would define as clutch on Sunday.
First Star: Monta Ellis (39 points, 6 rebounds, 5 assists)
It wasn’t just the 39 points, it was that he scored 25 of them in the fourth quarter to lead the Bucks to a win. The Bucks were down a dozen points midway through the fourth and looked like they were on their way to an embarrassing loss when Ellis took charge. His jumper falling as he went 5-of-5 from three and 8-of-10 overall for the quarter (which is amazing after he shot 5-of-12 in the first three quarters). The last of Ellis’ threes came with 13 seconds left to seal the Bucks win. When his shot is falling he is a lot of fun to watch, even it’s just for a quarter now and again.
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 23
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 26
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 12
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 14
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 69
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 26