Paul George says breakout year because he started preparing like Kobe

Mar 18, 2013, 5:08 PM EST

Paul George AP

Paul George is on his way to being named NBA Most Improved Player (probably). He’s averaging 17.6 points and 7.9 rebounds a game, he’s shooting 38 percent from three and has a PER of 17. He made the All-Star team this year. With Danny Granger out George had to take on a larger role in the offense, and he did it without a dramatic drop off in efficiency.

Pacers assistant coach (and former Lakers assistant) Brian Shaw was on the radio in Los Angeles last week and said he had pushed George, a Southern California native, by telling him what it was like playing with and coaching Kobe Bryant.

George went on 1070 the Fan in Indianapolis with Grady and Big Joe and basically confirmed that (via Sports Radio Interviews).

“I switched it all up, just my whole preparation. I come in early, I lift before every game and I get about 300 or 400 shots up prior to the game as well. All of that really came from Kobe Bryant. With him being around Brian Shaw and Brian Shaw being around us and me having a relationship with Brian Shaw and the conversations we have had, that’s how Kobe prepares and gets ready for games. Me, idolizing Kobe growing up in L.A, that’s really how I changed my whole season around.”

Shaw described George as a good, motivated young player who always wants to get better but didn’t really know how. Shaw can use Kobe as kind of a road map and motivation. It seems to be working.

1. dirtydavis - Mar 18, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Sick!! That’s what I do when I go to work. I lift a couple files, go through 400-600 pages and when its game time I am ready to roll

2. ddaughtry81 - Mar 18, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Hilarious

3. urodaddy07 - Mar 18, 2013 at 5:41 PM

You may not like Kobe, but you can’t question his work ethic. It’s never enough to be talented.

4. mdpickles - Mar 18, 2013 at 6:08 PM

I wish all NBA players prepared like Kobe. They won’t be as good as him, but the league as a whole would be better. Too many stiffs and wannabe’s.

• cmehustle - Mar 19, 2013 at 6:40 PM

NBA players are just like people in regular jobs. Most people just do the bare minimum to get their paycheck and be out. The best of the best seem to live to be at the job, stay late, come in early and weekends, and are the go to guys (or girls). No different than anything else.

5. baymac408 - Mar 18, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Get off Kobe’s nuts!! Why would you even compare yourself to that garbage!

6. spthegr8 - Mar 18, 2013 at 6:31 PM

@TheBaysmokincrack
    Take your own advice & HOP off Kobe’s D**K!!! It’s one thing too dislike the man but garbage?? Smh!!!! Go Away Hater!! Go Away!!

7. nbascreed - Mar 18, 2013 at 6:46 PM

I thought Jorge was averaging more than 17.6ppg. Gotta step that up bro before you start dropping Mamba’s name vis-a-vis your game.

ktgotgame.com

8. rjlink1 - Mar 18, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Lifting before every game? A physical trainer needs to explain that one to me. I think that would just fatigue your muscles.

9. baymac408 - Mar 18, 2013 at 7:01 PM

@spthegr8
    Bet I’d slap you on person and you wouldn’t like it.. Kobe’s a p.o.s. get off my d*ck p*ssy

• manchestermiracle - Mar 18, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Sheesh, you sound like you’re having a difficult time with puberty.

10. baymac408 - Mar 18, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Paul George is a BALLER without even mentioning wack a** Kobe

• manchestermiracle - Mar 18, 2013 at 8:19 PM

The man simply gave credit where credit is due. But it’s heart-warming to see you go up in flames about it.

• badintent - Mar 19, 2013 at 2:47 AM

I don’t like Kobe, but baymac is THE WALKING DEAD , from the neck up !

• loungefly74 - Mar 19, 2013 at 10:57 AM

nice one, manchester.

yeah, pathetic to jab Kobe on this article. PG says he is a better player due to the “Kobe System”…yet…lil boy mac n’ cheese is crying like he pulled out 1 of the 3 pubes he has…good grief.

11. aboogy123456 - Mar 18, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Hopefully this report also shows a benefit to hiring Brian Shaw as a coach: he coached and played on great teams with great players. I think he can coach in this league, but he doesn’t get a fair chance because people associate him with the triangle offense. It’s about time he gets a head coaching job.

12. spthegr8 - Mar 18, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Listen hear little boy. I’d make short work of you, I PROMISE!! Your not even in my weight class. Go & get ready for bed. Don’t you have school tomorrow???

13. spthegr8 - Mar 18, 2013 at 8:45 PM

@manchester
    You can defiantly tell its a little kid. He is using curse words just for the sake of using them. My name is gonna be MUD tomorrow @ recess!!!

14. Jeff - Mar 18, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Yeah this is an old story for those who live in Indy. But you know, any way to mention Lakers again is what the Association needs for sure. In fact, just mention two teams from here on out … Lakers and Heat.

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches