Mar 18, 2013, 10:56 AM EDT
The Los Angeles Clippers last four losses are to the Spurs, Thunder, Nuggets and Grizzlies. The teams they will have to beat in the playoffs. It doesn’t exactly inspire confidence.
In the first months of this season the Clippers looked like a title contender, right now that is simply not the case. Their defense in particular has not been good enough, DeAndre Jordan is not consistent enough on that end. And in the playoffs, when teams get a more focused game plan and the easy baskets — the highlight dunks — get taken away the Clippers offense will have to adjust as well.
Can they do that? Can Vinny Del Negro get them to do that?
“They can’t do it in the playoffs, so it doesn’t matter,” Martin said. “Regular season, it’s all up-and-down. We know how the game goes in the regular season.”
Martin didn’t want to elaborate, adding only, “I don’t care what they do, to be honest with you. I hope they lose every game.”
The second part there is telling. Martin is a bitter man toward the Clippers. They didn’t make any kind of what he considered a serious effort to bring him back and after that he spent most of the season on the sidelines waiting for an NBA call. Martin is not an objective observer of the Clippers.
That doesn’t mean he’s wrong. A whole lot of people are saying the same things about the Clippers right now.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 32
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 64
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 2
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31